The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Speaking of Dustin Brown, why does he get a lot of hate here but PK Subban doesn't? PK is obviously the better player, but style/antics wise they are pretty similar

Again, as with Shane Doan, Dustin Brown gets his tires pumped for the country he was born in more than his achievements as a player, which top out around "poor man's Johan Franzen." He skates with the grace of an office chair on broken casters and plays to injure. If you want to find people who hate PK Subban despite being one of the most talented offensive defensemen in the league, I would recommend trying Literally Everywhere Else On The Internet, but I guess we're not as informative.

God, is the board on stupid pills this morning? How many more comparisons between talented players and untalented players are we going to make today? How come people here like Tyler Seguin but not Hal Gill? Start the freaking season already, and don't make me regret saying that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, even in the antipathy-laced world of hockey fandom, people tend not to hate one of the best players of a generation. Don't you dare talk crap about our aptitude when you're over here trying to draw any parallel you can between Jarome Iginla and a gussied-up third-liner. Honestly now. What's the difference between Jarome Iginla and Shane Doan? Two hundred and six goals, three hundred and five points.

Iginla has whined more vociferously and on greater occasion than Doan, which is the reason that comes up 99% of the time when people complain about him. Never said I hated Iginla, just that his leadership skills that get bandied about are quite overrated.

As for knowledge, what would you like to learn? :)

Interesting that I'm "on your ass", when you're the one calling names...is it because I don't lap up your tired schtick like some do?

Iginla has whined more vociferously and on greater occasion than Doan

Claiming that French-Canadian referees conspire against him in Canadiens games was pretty vociferous whining. Threatening to retire if his dead-ass team moves away from his horse ranch was pretty vociferous whining. The whole series with the Kings was pretty vociferous whining. Iginla has always been a class act, whereas Doan has merely been wished into being one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Iginla has whined more vociferously and on greater occasion than Doan

Claiming that French-Canadian referees conspire against him in Canadiens games was pretty vociferous whining. Threatening to retire if his dead-ass team moves away from his horse ranch was pretty vociferous whining. The whole series with the Kings was pretty vociferous whining. Iginla has always been a class act, whereas Doan has merely been wished into being one.

Say what you will about Iginla and Doan, but don't you dare bring pine trees into this, sir.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I guess our guidelines for class act just differ. Iginla is built on a myth. All his great "leadership" fights were petty instances where someone was able to get under his skin, and was the turning point in at least one series loss (Beauchemin and the Ducks). Accepting a trade and then declining it at the last moment. Absolute melt down in the biggest game of his career.

He's had the "good player on a bad team" thing going for him but other than that I stand by saying he's built up into more than he actually is.

I guess our guidelines for class act just differ. Iginla is built on a myth. All his great "leadership" fights were petty instances where someone was able to get under his skin, and was the turning point in at least one series loss (Beauchemin and the Ducks). Accepting a trade and then declining it at the last moment. Absolute melt down in the biggest game of his career.

He's had the "good player on a bad team" thing going for him but other than that I stand by saying he's built up into more than he actually is.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains that comparing Shane Doan and Jerome Iginla is rediculous. It's the "Dustin Brown and P.K. Subban" argument only amplified. Whatever Iginla's faults are he is, statistically, one of the best players of his generation. Shane Doan is not. People are willing to forgive more if you produce.

As an aside, this little back and forth with admiral is whatever. I have two questions though. The first is "what qualifies you as being more knowledgeable about the sport of hockey over anyone else here?"

The second is "why take part in NHL discussion here if you find it lacking?"

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains that comparing Shane Doan and Jerome Iginla is rediculous. It's the "Dustin Brown and P.K. Subban" argument only amplified. Whatever Iginla's faults are he is, statistically, one of the best players of his generation. Shane Doan is not. People are willing to forgive more if you produce.

As an aside, this little back and forth with admiral is whatever. I have two questions though. The first is "what qualifies you as being more knowledgeable about the sport of hockey over anyone else here?"

I don't know what back and forth I have with admiral. I have merely questioned what/when rules changed on banned accounts and been called a disparaging name by said poster.

Qualifications? Well first, I never said more knowledgeable than anyone here; I don't know who all posts here. I claim to be more knowledgeable than most based upon connections and relationships I have with numerous past and current players and members of the Lightning organization all the way up to the VP level. I've described the NHL talk here as entertaining as it consists mainly of hyperbole, reaction GIFs, and just seems...superficial. Perhaps that's on my end as it's hard for me to take posts seriously when there are so many joke posts to wade through. As we've discussed equipment before, I'll add my credentials for that also; 10+ years in the retail business and 5 years helping the Lightning with equipment specs, customization, repair, and maintenance. It's been hard work to build the personal relationships and knowledge base that I have when it comes to that stuff, and I enjoy talking about it. I'm weird, talking skate fitting and differences and especially goalie gear is fun to me. Kind of an example of that "do what you love and never work a day in your life" saying.

That explains why I participate in the talk here I suppose. Maybe I'll just stick to the Logos and Concepts forums, that is what originally drew me to this forum many years ago.

I've described the NHL talk here as entertaining as it consists mainly of hyperbole, reaction GIFs, and just seems...superficial.

7ienzSY.jpg

Don't worry, my fellow sophisticate - my hockey posts are renowned for being of the highest order of quality, objectivity, and clarity. Don't let these...peasants drag you into their quicksand of cheap tricks and gimmickry, friend. It's up to us, the higher ape, to show them how it's done, wot?

Come! Let us retire to my parlor where we can sup bourbon from the skulls of dead factory workers.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know what back and forth I have with admiral. I have merely questioned what/when rules changed on banned accounts and been called a disparaging name by said poster.

Qualifications? Well first, I never said more knowledgeable than anyone here; I don't know who all posts here. I claim to be more knowledgeable than most based upon connections and relationships I have with numerous past and current players and members of the Lightning organization all the way up to the VP level. I've described the NHL talk here as entertaining as it consists mainly of hyperbole, reaction GIFs, and just seems...superficial. Perhaps that's on my end as it's hard for me to take posts seriously when there are so many joke posts to wade through. As we've discussed equipment before, I'll add my credentials for that also; 10+ years in the retail business and 5 years helping the Lightning with equipment specs, customization, repair, and maintenance. It's been hard work to build the personal relationships and knowledge base that I have when it comes to that stuff, and I enjoy talking about it. I'm weird, talking skate fitting and differences and especially goalie gear is fun to me. Kind of an example of that "do what you love and never work a day in your life" saying.

That explains why I participate in the talk here I suppose. Maybe I'll just stick to the Logos and Concepts forums, that is what originally drew me to this forum many years ago.

I guess it's just different strokes. I find the jokes to be...refreshing. I get enough in depth hockey talk between friends and southern Ontario sports talk radio, so goofing off here is a welcome change of pace.

As for equipment? I used to be really into goalie equipment discussions when I was younger and looking over pads for sale in my rink's local shop. CCM, Koho, Louisville, Vaugn, Brian's, Vaughn, Bauer, Eagle, Itech. I used to read up on each company, their various lines of product, and which sets I wanted. Then Reebok happened around the same time I stopped growing (and thus no longer needed new pads) and just made everything seem so bland. So I, sadly, lost interest.

Isn't idea of the white pads to blend in with the boards/net/ice and trick the shooter's eye into shooting where the pads are? Or some garbage? I thought that's what I first heard when the white pads started to take over. If that's actually the case, I assume one goalie said it and it worked, so someone else took it on and passed around until it became some accepted truth.

---

I claim to be more knowledgeable than most based upon connections and relationships I have with numerous past and current players and members of the Lightning organization all the way up to the VP level.

Good for you. Just because you know people doesn't mean you know :censored: .

---

Also, if we're still doing Posts of the Day, I hereby nominate Andy's most recent submission to this here thread. Here here, old sport.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Qualifications? Well first, I never said more knowledgeable than anyone here; I don't know who all posts here. I claim to be more knowledgeable than most based upon connections and relationships I have with numerous past and current players and members of the Lightning organization all the way up to the VP level.

So does Yzerman really still miss Detroit after all this time?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I seem to remember that when the white pads thing started, they weren't all white and part of the reasoning was to make the shooter think there was a little more space in the 5 hole or something (like Roy's pads here). That seems pretty reasonable to me. Nowadays, it seems like they want to make their whole leg invisible... I don't think it works like that.

20131017__Roy_osgood_fight~p1.jpg

twitter

Archived