Sanic

The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Don't have to worry about the Blackhawks making a Cup run this year, folks. Kings have got a nice, clear path now.

That's now the 1,146th sarcastic post bashing the Kings during this NHL off-season. Congratulations, everyone!

I don't understand how a team like the Blackhawks that is pretty progressive in terms of player evaluation will repeatedly throw all their analytics out the window to sign idiots. I'm not saying that analytics should determine everything, because scouting and personality profiling just as important, but Carcillo even sucks by those measures, too. Stan Bowman basically watched the Stanley Cup Final that his team didn't make, took note of all the possession drivers on the Kings, and then pointed to the guy who punched a ref and said "I want that guy." I don't even want to blame Quenneville, because for all the narratives ascribed to him about how he loves face-punching veteran meatheads, he's also the guy who knew well enough to give significant playing time to Saad, Shaw, Kruger, and other accomplished young players. I don't know what to think or whom to blame. I'm baffled. But with Leddy getting traded for nothing and Jeremy Morin possibly following him out the door as what looks to be a finished Michal Rozsival hangs around, the Blackhawks do seem to be downgrading themselves quite a bit to start the season.

Has Morin ever done anything with the Blackhawks?

He was in that trade with the Thrashers when Chicago had to shed salary after their first Cup. Seemed to have some hype here.

He's had cups of coffee over the last four years with some injuries and concussions slowing his development (that he took a while to learn defense didn't help his cause; Saad learned faster and lapped him). When he's been up, he's looked good. He finally came into his own as a north-south bottom-six power winger at the end of last year, and seemed to be penciled in on one of the bottom two lines, either on the checking line with Kruger or the physical scoring line with Shaw. I haven't begrudged him the long development time; power forwards take longer and he's still only 23, which I know is ancient by the new standards of NHL cost control where if you can't give your team seven years of service time by age 27 you might as well just lie down and die, but realistically, that's still a young guy -- certainly too young to cut bait now, especially on a deal around just $850,000.

I figured Bowman would be extremely loath to let him go because he was one of the only pieces of value that came over in the cap dump with Atlanta, but Nick Leddy was his first big acquisition and now he has to let Leddy go. Incidentally, the other piece of value from Atlanta was the pick that became Adam Clendening, who is supposed to slot in as the third-pairing puck-mover in Leddy's absence. World keeps turnin'.

It's been rather sad watching my good twitter buddy Sodboy drink his Carcillo grievances away, and now apparently he's already cashing out on the Blackhawks for this season. I personally don't understand the Carcillo acquisition, healthy or not, because Morin has earned his opportunity, is younger, has a higher upside, and they've spent resources and time developing him. This all rings of Quenneville's inane desire to have Dudes Who Beat Up Other Dudes, yet he'll cite murky excuses regarding Morin's defense.

But yeah, the Blackhawks power play is so goddamn awful once again. That's pretty much all the reason you need to know they'll spin their tires this year, despite probably making the playoffs.

I'm willing to give Dineen time. He had the Panthers running a surprisingly effective power play for being the Panthers. Besides, the Hawks won two championships with middling power plays. It's more important to have a top-ranked penalty kill in the playoffs, which we saw when the Kings cashed just about every power play they got.

Also, the Hawks should consider not taking so many penalties in the first place. Last season, they ranked 28th in the league in penalty minutes with 699, behind (or ahead of?) only New Jersey, who are always tight, and Carolina, who just float around without a goddamn care in the world. Hey, that sounds pretty good! But it doesn't tell the whole story, because the stupid caveman Eastern Conference throws the total PIM count out of whack with all their line brawls and whatever. Philadelphia had 1180, for god's sake.

But 518 of the Hawks' 699 PIMs were on two-minute minors, or 74% of their total. Go back to Philadelphia and their 1180, and only (haha, "only") 714 of those are off minors, or about 60%. They had 46 majors and I assume most were fights, because they're the Flyers and all they've done for forty-some years is score goals and fight, and fighting majors cancel out, duh. 15 misconducts, whatever, that's not additional time shorthanded, and misconducts are stupid. Hell, look closer to home at the Blues, who had a whopping 1162 penalty minutes but only 704 of them off minors, or, again, roughly 60%. That's a lot of empty penalty minutes. For an allegedly disciplined team, the Hawks' penalty minutes aren't so empty.

EDIT: You might say "but even in minor penalties only, they stayed out of the box more than anyone but the Sharks!", to which I would say "still not enough when you suck at killing penalties"

No matter how hard you spin, I'm not sure you can call your team undisciplined when only two teams took fewer penalties.

Blackhawks making a complete hash of their roster today. Signed Dan Carcillo, waived Peter Regin, almost traded Nick Leddy to the Islanders but the Bruins swooped in with Boychuk instead. I don't know what anyone's doing.

Blackhawks making a complete hash of their roster today. Signed Dan Carcillo, waived Peter Regin, almost traded Nick Leddy to the Islanders but the Bruins swooped in with Boychuk instead. I don't know what anyone's doing.

Leddy to Isles for TJ Brennan and two prospects in Pokka and Nilsson (defenseman and goalie).

Hopefully Bowman and Q are...happy? I don't know what the hell this team is shaping up to be, but it feels half-baked.

Still at least you guys aren't quite as dumb as the Sharks. You dumped aside Handzus and Bollig before, but the Sharks resigned Mike Brown and added John Scott and still own Burish.

It will still be a Kings-Hawks conference final again.

Woah, Islanders continuing their really good offseason of moves right down to the final weekend with these trades.

(Please do not use this against me during the Islanders' annual 15 losses in 18 games stretch in November)

They're stronger at forward but weaker at defense. Now instead of having three strong pairings, there are only two, which puts more minutes on Keith, which makes him less effective. They'll need to do quite a balancing act with Rozsival and rookies (and Kyle Cumiskey for some reason) to make a third pairing that's almost as good as most teams' second pairings. I don't think they'll even get 40 games out of Rozsival this year.

Giving Crawford $2 million more than he needed really bit this team in the ass. This is the last chance they'll have to win a championship before Toews and Kane's eight-figure cap hits make it impossible to keep their teammates around, but I don't feel like the Hawks are treating it that way.

Meanwhile, I'm really liking what the Islanders are doing. Could be a sleeper team coming out of the East.

I hope it doesn't happen but I still fully expect the Hawks to win the 2015 Stanley Cup.

Woah, Islanders continuing their really good offseason of moves right down to the final weekend with these trades.

(Please do not use this against me during the Islanders' annual 15 losses in 18 games stretch in November)

With all this unexpected upgrading too bad they couldn't upgrade the coach. Put a competent coach out there and this team is playoff worthy (as a 6-8 seed.) That said I'm still not getting my hopes up too much. It is the Islanders after all.

Jets trade Eric Tangradi to the Habs for Peter Budaj. Day Off makes his first player-for-player trade and Budaj just might be the new #1 going forward.

Kevin Cheveldayoff pulls a rabbit out of his ass, accidentally makes a trade that doesn't involve Chicago or draft picks.

Winnipeg somehow gets Peter Budaj and a minor leaguer for Eric Tangradi of all the goddamn people.

Writing was on the wall for Budaj (what does a really spiteful ghost say?) when Tokarski replaced Price in the Eastern final. Always seemed like an adequate backup when I'd catch Habs games, which means he should be a clear-cut starter ahead of Pababib.

I always confuse Eric Tangradi with Chris Thorburn.

So did we, until Chevy gave him $1.2M a year :psyduck:

Yeah, Hutchinson didn't exactly light it up in preseason, so I'm assuming Budaj is the de facto backup. I can also safely assume he'll wear #1 with the Jets, mainly because the marketing department doesn't want to use pics of Jussi Olkunuora when they get to their "ONE day left till the season opener!" posts on Twitter. It's bad enough they had to use Paul Postma for "four days to go".

Either Jeff Skinner got KTFO with a pretty weak Matt Niskanen elbow or he's doing his typical Jeff Skinner sell job where he's North Carolina's most inland fish out of water.

MenacingJoyousJuliabutterfly.gif

If Skinner and Jordan Staal are both out for a while, boy, that roster is bad.

Nah man. Shades of '06 up in here.

Carolina is going to walk away with the (Glen) Metropolitan.