Great Sports Moments "Ruined" by Terrible Uniforms

AHcreative

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy Goss' opening goal leading Norwich City to the only win an English club has ever earned at Bayern Munich's Olympic Stadium during the first leg match of the second round of the 1993-94 UEFA Cup. While I would buy one in a heartbeat, these kits usually show up on most any top 10 worst list.

YaHH0Va.jpg

fCeg49Q.jpg

BIG-SAVE.jpg

Completely agree here. This was the moment that made me fall in love with hockey. I just wish I liked the Penguins, but as long as that punk Crosby remains on the team, I just can't bring myself to doing so (and yeah, those uniforms are not helping).

They're so bad, they almost made you hope for a Red Wings repeat. Definitely the worst looking cup winner of the post RBK era.

Steve-Young-SB-XXIX-Getty.jpg

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. It was bad enough for the 49ers to have worn the ugly throwbacks, but it was made worse by the fact that the Chargers did not wear theirs. Granted, the Chargers didn't even exist when SF originally wore these uniforms (and I'm pretty sure the helmet was different, too) but I've always been bothered when one team throws back and the other doesn't.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. It was bad enough for the 49ers to have worn the ugly throwbacks, but it was made worse by the fact that the Chargers did not wear theirs. Granted, the Chargers didn't even exist when SF originally wore these uniforms (and I'm pretty sure the helmet was different, too) but I've always been bothered when one team throws back and the other doesn't.

How did I not think of this?

It's always bothered me that San Fran continued to wear those uniforms for most of that season. The fifth Super Bowl win already felt different because Joe Montana wasn't leading the show, but then they wear these goofy throwbacks that were really only throwbacks from the neck down.

What's worse is the next season they went back to the regular 49er uniforms in 95 before changing to the throwback inspired uniforms in 1996. They should've been wearing the khaki pants and gold-absent red jerseys in that Super Bowl.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree that the 49ers shouldn't have worn these for the Super Bowl. But when superstition comes, you just don't mess with it.

I grew up in the Bay Area and I have never met a 49ers fan who did not like this uniform. In fact, there is some hope that this might be a throwback they wear some day.

Of course, maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in, but they like it. It ties in with an SB win, so not much complaints on that end probably.

Aside from the helmet, the uniforms appear to be accurate. And in a way, it did separate the SB wins for the team. You will always recognize Young's era with this uniform.

Go A's!

Maybe this isn't quite on topic, but I think the trend of having teams put on caps and tshirts right after winning a championship sort of ruins the moment as well. Seeing a team lifting the trophy in fan apparel rather than their own uniforms kinda blemishes the image in my opinion.

It's a shame the Rams' only Super Bowl win was in these uniforms:

super-bowl-xxxiv-kurt-warner-st-louis-ra

I don't think they're ugly -- far from it. I just far more associate these with Los Angeles, and the following year's gold uniforms with the Greatest Show on Turf. The LA uniforms looked nice, but seem like a whole different era than the following teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe this isn't quite on topic, but I think the trend of having teams put on caps and tshirts right after winning a championship sort of ruins the moment as well. Seeing a team lifting the trophy in fan apparel rather than their own uniforms kinda blemishes the image in my opinion.

espn_ap_elway_trophy1_600.jpg

I won't go so far as to say it "ruined" the moment for me, but it bugs me that Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played record in this uniform.

Cal%20Wave%202131%20wide.jpghqdefault.jpgp1-RIPKEN-RECORD-SWEENEY.jpg

I always think of the Orioles as an orange-first team (maybe because I grew up in the 70s-80s), so I never liked the 90s uniform with the black script and name and number on the back.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I won't go so far as to say it "ruined" the moment for me, but it bugs me that Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played record in this uniform.

I always think of the Orioles as an orange-first team (maybe because I grew up in the 70s-80s), so I never liked the 90s uniform with the black script and name and number on the back.

I never thought of this one before. I became an orioles fan when they brought out these unis. But I agree with you. The Giants are a black-first team. I do love this Orioles hat though.

I considered posting this one and decided not to, but I agree completely. The Orioles were nearly perfect in 1970 and they're nearly perfect in 2014, except for the white paneled caps at home. I never did care for the years when the emphasis was on black.

It's a shame the Rams' only Super Bowl win was in these uniforms:

I don't think they're ugly -- far from it. I just far more associate these with Los Angeles, and the following year's gold uniforms with the Greatest Show on Turf. The LA uniforms looked nice, but seem like a whole different era than the following teams.

Interesting point. This was not "ruined" by a bad uniform, but it would have served our memories better given that they remained exciting for a few years in the next uniform and this was the only year the St.L Rams were very good in these uniforms.

Earlier I said that great moments are rarely ruined by bad uniforms but I do have to backtrack some. After seeing that photo of Steve Young in the Super Bowl...yeah, alts should not be worn in postseason. So it's kinda "great moments ruined by the 'wrong' unifoms." I don't like the Stars uniform from their cup win but it does not ruin the moment in my opinion. As for the Niners, I never understood why they continued wearing that uniform that year...I guess people liked it. I did not.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived