Great Sports Moments "Ruined" by Terrible Uniforms

AHcreative

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anything can top Louisville winning the national championship in sleeved jerseys and zubaz shorts.

u_of_l.jpg

This is definitely the winner of this thread.

The thread is now finished.

Can we blame these terrible uniforms for Kevin Ware's injury? I'm choosing to.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Steve-Young-SB-XXIX-Getty.jpg

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. It was bad enough for the 49ers to have worn the ugly throwbacks, but it was made worse by the fact that the Chargers did not wear theirs. Granted, the Chargers didn't even exist when SF originally wore these uniforms (and I'm pretty sure the helmet was different, too) but I've always been bothered when one team throws back and the other doesn't.

I agree that the 49ers shouldn't have worn these for the Super Bowl. But when superstition comes, you just don't mess with it.

I grew up in the Bay Area and I have never met a 49ers fan who did not like this uniform. In fact, there is some hope that this might be a throwback they wear some day.

Of course, maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in, but they like it. It ties in with an SB win, so not much complaints on that end probably.

Aside from the helmet, the uniforms appear to be accurate. And in a way, it did separate the SB wins for the team. You will always recognize Young's era with this uniform.

Everybody in the bay area loved the look as it was semi-retro and the team absolutely caught fire which is why they kept wearing them. I also think fans were more accepting of this look is that it was different from the traditional walsh/montana golden era. You had a new qb, walsh was gone for a few years, there were some key younger players on offense (watters etc.), and a completely revamped defense made up of free agents and deion playing corner to top it off. This squad was almost the anti-niners and the alt uniforms seemed to complement that whole season nicely.

I don't think anything can top Louisville winning the national championship in sleeved jerseys and zubaz shorts.

Yeah, this is like the Oregon example: not even looking like yourselves on the biggest stage so you can help promote an apparel company.

I think we can blame these for the injury. See, these new uniforms always make players perform better. They can run faster, jump higher, and see the court/field/rink better. Unfortunately, Ware was the victim of this awesome technology, for in more traditional uniforms, he would never have gotten up that high and (using 9.8 m/s/s that I learned in high school) would have had less velocity coming down. His leg would have held.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

u_of_l.jpg

They're so bad I'm blaming his transfer to another school on these uniforms.*

*: What do I know about bad uniforms? I love the Mighty Ducks' infamous third jersey.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

0202_super-bowl-celebration-seattle-seah

Although I think their away uniforms are better than their home uniforms, I still think these are an eyesore.

Out of all their not-so-great variations, this is the one I like the most. It solves most of the problems I have with the Seahawks set. No monochrome. The number pattern appears more subtle on the dark numbers. Primarily blue and green instead of the drab gray. The white helps liven it up a bit, too. Whenever they wear the solid blue, it looks dark and boring because it's matched with the gray numbers. The white helps clean it up a bit.

Although I think their away uniforms are better than their home uniforms, I still think these are an eyesore.

Again, I'm going to have to disagree with the "greatness" of this sports moments for a couple of reasons:

1) This was, in my opinion, one of the worst Super Bowls of all time. It wasn't entertaining in the least.

2) The Seahawks won.

That last one may be a bit biased though; I am a Rams fan. ^_^

And come to think of it, those Seahawks uniforms aren't that bad.

When Barry Bonds broke the home run season record. So Hr 71* lol.

2Edited-ARENA-011005SAF04D-590x944.jpg

The Giants did not make the same mistake in 2012...

Game 4 of the World Series was on a Sunday and they did not wear the Sunday cap or jersey.

But they still wore an awful uniform.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Again, I'm going to have to disagree with the "greatness" of this sports moments for a couple of reasons:

1) This was, in my opinion, one of the worst Super Bowls of all time. It wasn't entertaining in the least.

2) The Seahawks won.

espn_gpp08_800.jpg

The Broncos almost managed to outdo themselves

2) The Seahawks won.

Just a random thought, but I think if there is enough contrast between the two teams, I think the Super Bowl should be color vs. color.

I think color vs. color is a great way to look like a league of 12 year-olds. Players could wear baggy sweatshirts under their jersey to complete the look. If they want to look like a professional team, or even anything above "guys playing flag football in a field", one team should wear white jerseys since they can afford more than one set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think color vs. color is a great way to look like a league of 12 year-olds. Players could wear baggy sweatshirts under their jersey to complete the look. If they want to look like a professional team, or even anything above "guys playing flag football in a field", one team should wear white jerseys since they can afford more than one set.

Color vs. color screams amateur and cheap.

THANK YOU. I don't know why so many people are so in love with color vs color matchups. It looks completely bush.

And jersey color is a great way to identify instantly who the home and road team is. I hate for this reason when two divisional rivals in the nfl wear the same uniforms for both of their games against each other.

PvO6ZWJ.png

THANK YOU. I don't know why so many people are so in love with color vs color matchups. It looks completely bush.

And jersey color is a great way to identify instantly who the home and road team is. I hate for this reason when two divisional rivals in the nfl wear the same uniforms for both of their games against each other.

Meh. Especially in football there was a solid tradition of color/color which was only impacted by black and white tv. Not every game should be color/color but not every game should be color/white either. It's not 1962 anymore. Embrace the the miracle of color hdtv the way God intended us to watch his sport.

Lastly the best american football reason for color/color is USC/Ucla. That match should not be viewed in any other fashion.

2) The Seahawks won.

Well, it was certainly a great moment for those Seattle fans. ;)

But about the uniform, I just can't stand that ridiculous "checkered" pattern in the number font. It also doesn't look good as the helmet and pant stripes. I'm also not a big fan of that "Action Green".

What about color vs color in soccer?

Archived