LOGOLYMPIAD - EVENT 4 VOTING

pollux

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this sucks. Disqualification for "sublimation" seems a bit nit-picky and nowhere in the rules does it say sublimation isn't allowed. I now see that later in the thread it was kind of arbitrarily decided that sublimation was not acceptable. Dark red and gray are official team colors according to Colorwerx as well so where is the line as to something being sublimated or unique enough of a color to be deemed not sublimation? I appreciate you taking the time to put on this awesome competition and I understand how tedious it can be to deal with improper submissions but this seems like disallowing something just for the sake of disallowing it.

CalgaryStampeders_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Regarding the disqualifications:

Believe me, disqualifying an entry is the last thing I want to do here. I usually spend 10-15 minutes debating whether I would allow the entry to be in or out when I am unsure. I have sought advice from members of the competition committee when limit cases arise, and their guidance helps me reach a consensus.

Again, I am the judge of the competition, so ultimately, the burden of disqualifying entries is on me. You have every right to be angry or mad against me, but I hope you'll be able to get over this and get back in the competition. This competition is a bit like life, you can't win them all for sure, and you need to learn from your mistakes.

Getting to the specifics:

Griffinmarlin's entry was one I struggled with, since I received it last Friday. I had almost a full week to decide what to do with it. Ultimately, I had mentioned in the rules that the template should show the jersey as if it was laying flat on a surface, so that's what sealed the deal for me.

dirtyspacenews's entry had a new logo, and I had specifically mentioned no new logo, in addition to the graphical guidelines which showed which logos were allowed to be used on the alternate uniform.

macalesterscots's entry had text on the template. However, I did not know it was part of the template, and will keep that in mind. Unfortunately, I don't know all the templates that are out there, so if you're unsure, just send me a PM with a snapshot of the blank template and I can answer in the thread.

scottysprings's entry had sublimation, which was not allowed.

All other entries were disqualified for sizing issues.

Lessons learned on my end: I will try to provide paint-compatible and SVG templates for the next installment of the contest. I did not have time to work on that, nor did I think it would lead to disqualifications.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Wow, this sucks. Disqualification for "sublimation" seems a bit nit-picky and nowhere in the rules does it say sublimation isn't allowed. I now see that later in the thread it was kind of arbitrarily decided that sublimation was not acceptable. Dark red and gray are official team colors according to Colorwerx as well so where is the line as to something being sublimated or unique enough of a color to be deemed not sublimation? I appreciate you taking the time to put on this awesome competition and I understand how tedious it can be to deal with improper submissions but this seems like disallowing something just for the sake of disallowing it.

Regarding this: I added right from the start a graphic containing allowed logos and colors. Calgary had one shade of red, then black and white. When I saw the second red, I assumed it was sublimation, which, as you said, was added later as not acceptable.

Regardless whether it was sublimation or not, it was a second shade of red, which was not in the list of allowed colors.

Again, I understand that being disqualified can be a tough pill to swallow when you have put hours on the design. I sincerely hope you will all learn from the mistakes and continue participating.

On my end, I will make everything in my power to have events as clear as possible from the start. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Also, keep in mind that you have seven days to work on this. If you submit 5 hours after I posted the event, it is definitely possible you may miss something.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

The list of colors were referred to as a guideline so I didn't realize that meant no other colors were allowed, especially when it says the colors of the logo can be changed. Additionally, if you change the rules of the event after originally posting the rules/guidelines you should reflect those changes in the original post to avoid confusion. davidmiller5 also makes a good point that submission #12 uses a sublimated pattern on the numbers and was not disqualified.

Additionally, if you change the rules of the event after originally posting the rules/guidelines you should reflect those changes in the original post to avoid confusion.

This is an excellent suggestion. I will do that from now on.

Gold: 16

Silver: 6

Bronze: 13

As for the rules, I feel like you were unfairly inconsistent about using other colors. If you're gonna DQ one person for using colors not listed in the prompt, you need to DQ all of them. Entries 11 and 18 used gradients, which automatically makes new colors, and number 17 used another shade in the plaid on the collar. I personally think that since it's an alternate uniform, people should have been allowed to go a little wild, but you said those colors only, and you let some through that didn't follow your rules.

Edit: and as other people are saying, there are sublimated chevrons on the numbers in entry 12

Archived