Why is the running QB so popular?

48erhater

They suck. They always get injured. They can rack up stats in college but they always fail in the NFL unless they learn to throw better. Michigan is the team I've seen lately. Their QB sucks. I hated watching Denard Robinson before him. Those two are just running backs who throw sometimes.

They suck. They always get injured. They can rack up stats in college but they always fail in the NFL unless they learn to throw better. Michigan is the team I've seen lately. Their QB sucks. I hated watching Denard Robinson before him. Those two are just running backs who throw sometimes.

Gardner's easily the best player on Michigan's offense. The problem is that Michigan's coaching staff sees the late 1990s Lloyd Carr teams as the ne plus ultra of college football, and therefore has no bloody clue how to use said QBs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Then I guess you hate Air Force, Navy, and Army football thus in turn you hate America.

Specifically for Michigan, it is not just the QB, but also the offensive line. Even with Lewan, they were awful last year and are even younger this year. Hoke inherited only three scholarship OL commitments and has done a poor job recruiting and developing them too. If the dropback QBs were better, they would be playing.

Plus no love for Georgia Tech...

What do you consider a "running quarterback" anyway?

RG3. Michael Vick. They'd rather just run away instead of throwing. It hasn't succeded in the NFL.
Gardner, Griffin, Vick. You sound just like the caller on LeBatard last week regarding Gardner and a "running qb" when Robert Smith was on.

Hmmmmm. You're using code, aren't you since you failed to talk about BYU' Tasom Hill.

FYI, RGIII tore his ACL while dropping back on a pass.

RG3. Michael Vick. They'd rather just run away instead of throwing. It hasn't succeded in the NFL.
Gardner, Griffin, Vick. You sound just like the caller on LeBatard last week regarding Gardner and a "running qb" when Robert Smith was on.

Hmmmmm. You're using code, aren't you since you failed to talk about BYU' Tasom Hill.

Guess who was taken out for sucking it up today? Gardner.

Steve hound could be considered a running QB - except that he's white.

Randall Cunnungham was arguably the prototype of the running QB - he literally had no OC in philadelphia (until Rich freaking Kotite) so that didn't help. He was a bad kick away from taking Minnesota to the SB, where they would have had a legit shot to win

The thing is that average running QBs slow down as they age and if they can't adapt then they just can't play. The added injury risk is probably more a factor today than it used to be due to speed, size of defenders plus the fact that they prep for a scrambler now as opposed to simply designating a "spy" ( which I always found silly).

A running QB can work - it just takes a very special person to make it work (not over reliant on run, durable, maintains quickness and speed in to 30s, etc). The pocket QB is certainly the safer bet - but not the only option.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And going into the season the OL had 12 career starts.

http://michiganjournal.org/2014/08/29/michigan-football-positional-preview-inexperienced-offensive-line-must-learn-fast-in-2014/

Dude(s) got no time to throw.

Rich Rod's strategy (which Hoke has adopted) was to take the fastest guy he could buy (or "recruit" as some call it) and throw him in at QB. This QB would then lob up every pass and make his receivers go up and steal the ball from the defensive backs. This strategy worked fine against Eastern Michigan and Purdue, but once they started playing decent teams, it became painfully obvious to the Michigan faithful that the guy they trust to throw the ball should posses the ability to throw the ball. Combine that with Rich Rod's strategy of using a coin toss to determine whether the glee club or chess team should suit up as his defense, and he was driven out of town as if Henry Ford set up shop in Detroit specifically to supply nearby Ann Arbor. Hoke, now in a similar position, is such a lock to be fired at the end of the season, his lame "duck" status has made him the leading candidate to coach the District 5 pee-wee hockey team in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Running QBs can work, but they still need to be able to actually, you know, throw the ball. Turning a traditional smashmouth power-running team into a full-fledged spread offense in one summer isn't effective, either, and Michigan looks like they're still adjusting from Lloyd Carr's philosophies.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Hmmm:

48erhater

Members

74 posts

ENHANCE: Location: Utah

ENHANCE: Utah

Old school LDS member? Probably.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hmmm:

48erhater

Members

74 posts

ENHANCE: Location: Utah

ENHANCE: Utah

Old school LDS member? Probably.

Why is everybody being so rude just because I prefer pocket passers? I'm not mormon. Not a BYU fan. Scrambling qb's hardly ever succeed in the NFL.

Archived