Reasons For Colour Changes?

youcan'tseeme

The Eagles change to midnight green in 1996 was because the new owner's wife Christina loved design and hated kelly green (and they thought the team looked too much like the Jets at the time), and they wanted something more pleasing to the eye. Now that she's out of the picture and the owner remarried, fans think kelly green could show up again (and we've already discussed this to death in other NFL topics)

The other significant color change was going from light blue and yellow (the Philadelphia city flag colors) in the mid-1930s after the Frankford Yellow Jackets folded, to green (blue+yellow=....you get the idea) in 1943

I'm not in love with the current eagles set by any means but their last version of the kelly set was terribly bland and really did not utilize the color scheme well at all. I feel like a lot of this momentum is purely from a retro/nostalgia point of view and not a real design standpoint (e.g. padres return to brown). It seems like when teams go back to their old/classic look it generates some initial buzz but if the team doesn't win from the get go, merch sales will disappoint despite the perceived fan demand. If they want to go back to kelly and silver fine but it needs to be a unique and distinct design (i.e. vikings new set) not like the last set that could have passed for a high school uni.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like a lot of this momentum is purely from a retro/nostalgia point of view and not a real design standpoint (e.g. padres return to brown).

Funny, because both of those could easily be justified on design grounds alone. Either would be more unique, and superior to, the current color schemes which somehow manage to be both bland and messy at the same time.

Archived