NHL Brights Series

appleclock

Hey guys. Here is my first ever NHL jersey design series, which I’m calling the NHL Brights Series. The goal was to create brighter jerseys (less black and dark colors) and to use brighter colors from each team’s color palette, either from the present or from the past. So this won’t be a series featuring neon colors or anything--it’s just a brighter, more vibrant look for most of the teams, kind of like how things were in the 70s and 80s. Not every team will be super bright (some teams like Nashville, Philadelphia, Edmonton, and the NY Islanders already are), but I did try to do new stuff for each team. This series will include 40 teams (the 30 current NHL teams and 10 historical teams).

NHLbrights-logo.png

Anaheim / Arizona / Boston / Buffalo / Calgary

Carolina / Chicago / Colorado / Columbus / Dallas

Detroit / Edmonton / Florida / Los Angeles / Minnesota

Montreal / Nashville / New Jersey / NY Islanders / NY Rangers

Ottawa / Philadelphia / Pittsburgh / San Jose / St. Louis

Tampa Bay / Toronto / Vancouver / Washington / Winnipeg

Historical teams:
Atlanta / Hampton Roads / Hartford / Quebec / Cleveland
Oakland / Kansas City / Brooklyn / Hamilton / Seattle

Here are the first 3 teams: Calgary, Anaheim, and St. Louis:

CPM-NHLbrights-01-CGY.png

CPM-NHLbrights-02-ANA.png

CPM-NHLbrights-03-STL.png

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary: It feels like a clash of styles. Some of the striping is rounded, while other parts of it, as well as the number font, are very angular. The two just butt heads, to my eye. And the varsity block number font feels to conservative, both for a jersey like this and an organization like the Flames, who haven't been afraid to experiment with number fonts since the ’90s. On the red jersey, the logo could use some yellow — maybe the first outline that's currently red? — to tie it into the striping pattern. But I've honestly never been a huge fan of big patches of white like the shoulder yoke, the hem stripe or the arm stripes; I'd like to see those broken up a bit more.

Anaheim: The sleeve striping might be a good idea in theory, but I don't think it's going to look great out on the ice. The back numbers need to be bigger, and the ones on the white jersey might look better in orange, bringing a bit more contrast to the jersey overall.

St. Louis: Nothing really to nitpick on here. Maybe you could add just a smidge of the darker blue they wear, just to really set off the lighter blue and the yellow.

Calgary and St Louis a great. Don't use the word ark under the Ducks collar.

Yeah obviously. I did this on purpose though because I'm doing 40 different concepts, so little quirks like this helps break up the monotony.

Calgary: It feels like a clash of styles. Some of the striping is rounded, while other parts of it, as well as the number font, are very angular. The two just butt heads, to my eye. And the varsity block number font feels to conservative, both for a jersey like this and an organization like the Flames, who haven't been afraid to experiment with number fonts since the ’90s. On the red jersey, the logo could use some yellow — maybe the first outline that's currently red? — to tie it into the striping pattern. But I've honestly never been a huge fan of big patches of white like the shoulder yoke, the hem stripe or the arm stripes; I'd like to see those broken up a bit more.

Anaheim: The sleeve striping might be a good idea in theory, but I don't think it's going to look great out on the ice. The back numbers need to be bigger, and the ones on the white jersey might look better in orange, bringing a bit more contrast to the jersey overall.

St. Louis: Nothing really to nitpick on here. Maybe you could add just a smidge of the darker blue they wear, just to really set off the lighter blue and the yellow.

I agree with all your points. But remember that this is a design series... nothing in this series is going to be something I'd ever probably want to see on the ice... it's mostly just experimental.

Not a hockey fan, but wow am I impressed by these. My only nitpick would be that maybe the logo on the Blues colored jersey should be mainly white or yellow. I know they don't do that, they only have that blue logo, but I just think some variation there would put it over the top

I hate word marks on jerseys, so I would suggest removing them from the Blues and Ducks set. I think the Ducks change overall is fantastic. Flames, something is off to me, not sure if its the lack of yellow? Blues I think is a good look, but I like their current look better honestly. Interested to see the rest of your thread, your execution is good.

Overall and going forward, the back jersey numbers could be bigger. They look especially small on the Anaheim set.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Here's today's entry: the first of the 10 historical teams in the series (every fourth entry will be a defunct/relocated team). We start it all off with the most recent team to depart the NHL--the Atlanta Thrashers.

CPM-NHLbrights-04-ATL.png

To me, Atlanta had way too many contrasting colors. If they wanted to be unique, they should have embraced something like maroon or brown, which are lacking in the NHL, instead of jumping on the blue bandwagon. Eventually, they tried to carve out an identity as “the power blue team,” but that seemed really forced since that color was barely in their logo or on any of their previous jerseys. So I did away with blue completely and went with the earthier colors. The jerseys are inspired by their pre-Edge winged look.

Today’s entry is our first Original 6 team, the Boston Bruins.

CPM-NHLbrights-05-BOS.png

It’s hard to do anything drastic to an Orignal 6 team. This jersey is basically my winning entry into the “Untouchables” redesign competition over at HockeyJerseyConcepts.com last year. Thicker striping, and obviously… brown instead of black, which Boston last wore in the 1930s (and again during the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park).

Since its the NHL Bright series i would like to see boston use a yellow home jersey because that fits the style you're going for. the brown instead of black will definitely look good though. Tamp Bay is great, i love the striping and the colors really pop! great job so far i can't wait to see more

I like this idea. Gives the teams a stronger brand and identity.

Calgary - I would change the outline on the home logo to yellow-black instead of black-red to match the stripe.

Anaheim - I don't mind something above the logo, but I hate that team's script. I would change the font or maybe put the jersey number up there.

St. Louis - Perfect.

Atlanta - Not enough contrast between the home jersey and logo. Did you try the yellow or brown as the jersey colour?

Boston - The Bruins should be brown. Nice work.

Tampa Bay - The shoulder patches aren't working for me. Not sure how to fix that other than to drop them.

I like the Bruins jersey design a lot, but for your concept, I think a yellow jersey with black accents would look brighter I know you said you would use less or no black in these designs but to me, this looks brighter or more vibrant since there's more of a contrast between black and yellow than brown and yellow.

bruinsold3rd.gif

Archived