NHL Brights Series

appleclock

I love the striping but eliminating the light blue was a mistake. I think if the jerseys were primarily that colour, the concept would work better in the context of the series. Its a great looking set, its just not very "bright."

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's team technically never actually played in the NHL. They are the Seattle Metropolitans, a successful Pacific Coast franchise which won the Stanley Cup in 1917. Actually, I guess they weren't too successful, because they went out of business in 1924. But with all the talk of a possible Seattle NHL franchise, the Metropolitans' history gets brought up quite frequently. As for their branding, they wore Christmasy barber-pole jerseys. My concept tones down the indecisiveness between red and green and goes mostly with red. I also simplified the logo... maybe a little too simple for this day and age--I was thinking Ottawa Senators throwback. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-24-SEA.png

I've been following this one closely, one of the first one I open up every day. With Seattle, while I like it, I feel that I't missing something. Right now, I'd suggest thickening up the stripe at the bottom just a smidgen. My favourite part of the Metropolitans was always the SEATTLE within the S. Not sure it was 100% wise to ditch that, but still looks great.

Looking at it again, I'm getting an upside down Hungarian feel from the away collar ;)

I've been following this one closely, one of the first one I open up every day. With Seattle, while I like it, I feel that I't missing something. Right now, I'd suggest thickening up the stripe at the bottom just a smidgen. My favourite part of the Metropolitans was always the SEATTLE within the S. Not sure it was 100% wise to ditch that, but still looks great.

Looking at it again, I'm getting an upside down Hungarian feel from the away collar ;)

Thanks for following! I get what you're saying about the Metropolitans. I was kind of trying to reduce the barber-pole-ness of it, kind of like the current Ottawa alternates. I simplified the logo a little too much probably.

It couldn't be Halloween without a total freakout, so I bring you today's concept: the Arizona Coyotes of Glendale (not Phoenix). I tried to incorporate everything awesome about the past 20 years of hockey in the desert: the crazy desert pattern, the awesome (messed up) hockey dog logo, the brick and sand color scheme, and threw it all into one trick or treat set of jerseys. C&C and have a happy Halloween!

CPM-NHLbrights-25-ARI.png

I like most of these concepts. IMO Top 3 are Hartford, Tampa Bay, and Los Angeles. Colorado gets an Honorable Mention

I would stay with black instead of navy blue for Penguins. Maybe Orange instead of black for the Flyers. Nicely done. I'd love to see one for Buffalo with the blue and yellow color scheme.

A couple more teams to kick off the week: 1) The Wild. My problem with the Wild of is their reliance on green and red. There's a third color in their logo that they tend to ignore--yellow. Maybe distancing themselves from the North Stars? Anyway, this concept tries to bring the North Stars back to Minnesota in the form of the Wild. 2) The Red Wings. My favorite Red Wings jersey of all time is the 1991/92 alternate they wore as part of the 75th anniversary of the NHL. Stripes... text instead of crest... this concept tries to sorta duplicate that look and I decided to use an arching text kind of like what they do with their nameplates. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-26-MIN.png

CPM-NHLbrights-27-DET.png

Most of the concepts in this series have been original and well-executed, but I would not consider them appropriate as an everyday look. The Wild are a big exception. I would love to see them in something like what you've done permanently. It's a beautiful look. Well done.

The Wild and Coyotes look unreal. Getting rid of that "wheat" colour and using a brighter shade of gold is a huge improvement. The yotes are a nice mix of old and new with a perfect balance of colour. Top notch work as usual.

Love the Wild, and the script for the Wings came out better than I thought it would. I'd flip the shoulder crest so that they both face forward though

Well, I didn't want to mess with the Red Wings logo though. It faces one way and one way only.

Those Coyotes jerseys are incredible. I love that logo and the colour scheme.

Thanks!

Most of the concepts in this series have been original and well-executed, but I would not consider them appropriate as an everyday look. The Wild are a big exception. I would love to see them in something like what you've done permanently. It's a beautiful look. Well done.

Yes absolutely--this is a fantasy series, it's not meant to be a redesign series. My intentions aren't for any of these concepts to be replacement concepts for what the teams currently wear. I'm glad you think that the Wild are ice-worthy though. I miss the North Stars...

The Wild and Coyotes look unreal. Getting rid of that "wheat" colour and using a brighter shade of gold is a huge improvement. The yotes are a nice mix of old and new with a perfect balance of colour. Top notch work as usual.

Thanks! The Coyotes are one of my favorites from the series. I actually tried to do the Coyotes concept using purple (because that was one of the colors from their 90s look) but it just came out looking nasty.

I may be the only person not digging the Wild. Yellow should never be featured like that on a set for the team. It doesn't mesh well at all.

The only reason I did this was because of the North Stars. Yellow and green worked pretty well for them, if I remember correctly! Maybe red throws it off?

I may be the only person not digging the Wild. Yellow should never be featured like that on a set for the team. It doesn't mesh well at all.

The only reason I did this was because of the North Stars. Yellow and green worked pretty well for them, if I remember correctly! Maybe red throws it off?

Not the red, but the cream. Cream and yellow are too much alike IMO.

Not the red, but the cream. Cream and yellow are too much alike IMO.

Hmm... I didn't actually use cream in that concept though. In fact I recolored the logo to eliminate cream since I can't stand it, personally.

A few more concepts and we're 3/4 of the way through: 1) Quebec Nordiques. I modified the unused dog logo from the aborted 1995 rebrand, but went with the Nordiques classic blue and red. I'll let this one speak for itself. 2) Washington Capitals. I went back to their super-bright 70s/80s colors but kept the current logo. I couldn't quite figure out what to do with this one though--moved the stars to the sleeves. The 70s/80s Capitals were pretty much the brightest team of their day so not much I could do to top that look. 3) Ottawa Senators. Went with a classic look here; tried to downplay black in favor of the bronze/gold color. I really like how this one turned out and feel like it could be something the team could wear on the ice. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-28-QUE.png

CPM-NHLbrights-29-WAS.png

CPM-NHLbrights-30-OTT.png

Archived