NHL Brights Series

appleclock

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everybody for all the comments!! The NHL Brights Series is quickly coming to an end. My first post was on September 25 and almost two months later, we're down to just two final concepts--one current NHL team, and one vintage team. If you've been keeping tabs, then you know I've saved the New York Islanders until almost the end. Why?? BECAUSE I BROUGHT BACK THE FISHERMAN, THAT'S WHY. This would be even more shocking had the Fisherman logo not been resurrected just a few weeks ago on merchandise celebrating the Islanders' final season at Nassau Coliseum. But... since I made this concept before that happened, my thinking was that this would help send the series out with a bang. C&C and thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-39-NYI.png

THE FINAL CONCEPT: #40.

Charlotte Hornets NBA owner George Shinn placed a bid for one of the final two NHL expansion teams in 1997, for the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area, also known as Hampton Roads. He named the team the Rhinos, and rolled out a flashy bid presentation that wowed the board of governors. The Rhinos were the dark horse of the expansion candidates, among the list of larger cities like Houston and Minneapolis/St. Paul. But the community lacked a sufficient arena, and soon after, the Whalers relocated to nearby Greensboro/Raleigh. The NHL passed on the Rhinos and selected Minnesota and Columbus as the league's final two clubs.

CPM-NHLbrights-40-HRR.png

Let's get to today's concepts: 1) Columbus Blue Jackets. I'll let this one speak for itself. So I used the Stinger logo... but when electric green is part of your color scheme, how can you not? 2) Colorado Avalanche. Went with the pre-Edge mountain striping, and used the lighter blue as the primary jersey color instead of burgundy. The arm stripes are kind of just to give it a little more flair. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-18-CBJ.png

CPM-NHLbrights-19-COL.png

CBJ looks great, but why not use the electric green as the color of the road jersey? I'm sure it would look hideous, but I'd kind of like to see it with my own two eyes anyway.

Today we have the Winnipeg Jets. I decided to go with the current incarnation of the Jets for this series, as tempted as I was to use the 70s/80s Jets' branding. So for this concept, I eliminated the light blue, which kind of is superfluous to their color scheme, and focused mostly on navy blue and white. The striping/yoke is something some of you aren't going to agree with. My thinking was to go with more of a sharp, jetwing-like look. This was actually one of the toughest concepts to do, because of Winnipeg's limited branding history. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-23-WPG.png

Like the jet-wing look once I know what it's supposed to be. However, I'd say that, like the Jets' current set, this could really use a little more red.

Today's team technically never actually played in the NHL. They are the Seattle Metropolitans, a successful Pacific Coast franchise which won the Stanley Cup in 1917. Actually, I guess they weren't too successful, because they went out of business in 1924. But with all the talk of a possible Seattle NHL franchise, the Metropolitans' history gets brought up quite frequently. As for their branding, they wore Christmasy barber-pole jerseys. My concept tones down the indecisiveness between red and green and goes mostly with red. I also simplified the logo... maybe a little too simple for this day and age--I was thinking Ottawa Senators throwback. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-24-SEA.png

These are cool. The red-white-green striping on the road jersey may be a bit too "Italian"-looking, but I still think it looks nice.

It couldn't be Halloween without a total freakout, so I bring you today's concept: the Arizona Coyotes of Glendale (not Phoenix). I tried to incorporate everything awesome about the past 20 years of hockey in the desert: the crazy desert pattern, the awesome (messed up) hockey dog logo, the brick and sand color scheme, and threw it all into one trick or treat set of jerseys. C&C and have a happy Halloween!

CPM-NHLbrights-25-ARI.png

Nice, although I'd throw touches of green into the trim to keep the color scheme from looking too much like that of the D-Backs.

A couple more teams to kick off the week: 1) The Wild. My problem with the Wild of is their reliance on green and red. There's a third color in their logo that they tend to ignore--yellow. Maybe distancing themselves from the North Stars? Anyway, this concept tries to bring the North Stars back to Minnesota in the form of the Wild. 2) The Red Wings. My favorite Red Wings jersey of all time is the 1991/92 alternate they wore as part of the 75th anniversary of the NHL. Stripes... text instead of crest... this concept tries to sorta duplicate that look and I decided to use an arching text kind of like what they do with their nameplates. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-26-MIN.png

CPM-NHLbrights-27-DET.png

These are both cool. Green, red, and yellow is a unique color scheme, and it works well here. The Red Wings' design looks appropriately old-school. Great job.

A few more concepts and we're 3/4 of the way through: 1) Quebec Nordiques. I modified the unused dog logo from the aborted 1995 rebrand, but went with the Nordiques classic blue and red. I'll let this one speak for itself. 2) Washington Capitals. I went back to their super-bright 70s/80s colors but kept the current logo. I couldn't quite figure out what to do with this one though--moved the stars to the sleeves. The 70s/80s Capitals were pretty much the brightest team of their day so not much I could do to top that look. 3) Ottawa Senators. Went with a classic look here; tried to downplay black in favor of the bronze/gold color. I really like how this one turned out and feel like it could be something the team could wear on the ice. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-28-QUE.png

CPM-NHLbrights-29-WAS.png

CPM-NHLbrights-30-OTT.png

Nords and Sens: great! Caps: a bit too similar to what they already have, I think. Maybe a bit more blue?

Couple more teams: 1) New York Rangers. Brought back the Lady Liberty logo because it's awesome. Other than that not a whole lot of changes. Made changes to the hem of the white jersey, and tried to change the striping on the blue jersey to match the hem. 2) Oakland Seals. Tried to keep the same wavy vibe that the team had from 74-76 when they wore teal/yellow (their last gasp in California), but used a more greener hue from their earlier days. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-31-NYR.png

CPM-NHLbrights-32-OAK.png

Is it just me, or does the blue you used for the Rangers not look as bright as their current look? It just doesn't look like there's as much red-blue contrast in this one; my favorite thing about their current set is the way the red "pops" on against the blue of the home jerseys.

The Seals look a lot like the 1970s A's, as they were intended to at the time. Nice job.

Today's concept is the Blackhawks, who very recently revealed their 2015 Winter Classic jerseys. What I did was recolored the logo to incorporate nothing but red, black, white, and tan. I then used more tan. My inspiration here was their current, almost flawless look (of course), but I wanted to do something that really used more tan, sorta like the Blackhawks' 1930s look--the one that they ended up using for the '09 Winter Classic jerseys. It had a lot of tan, but was a black jersey. Anyway, the collar has a zigzag feature that was found on the socks from the set from that era. C&C and have a good weekend!

CPM-NHLbrights-33-CHI.png

The addition of tan looks good, but the subtraction of green from the logo does not. The Blackhawks' detailed, multi-colored logo is one of the best of all time; toning it down is just subtraction by subtraction.

We're on the homestretch! Only six teams remain in the NHL Brights Series. Here's a pair of teams for today: 1) Canucks. The goal here was to do a blue, green, and yellow concept (bringing yellow in from their 70s-90s color scheme). I started this one out with a lot more yellow, but it ended up looking like the Blues and the North Stars had a Norris Division love child... So I toned down the yellow but kept it there. The striping is obviously a nod to the 'V' years. I chose the Millionaires logo (I tried the Johnny Canuck 'V' head logo but the Millionaires logo looked a little better here). 2) Sharks. Their alternate shark fin logo has the four-tone teal wave, and I always wanted to try a concept involving all of those shades of teal. This was the result. C&C and have a good week!

CPM-NHLbrights-34-VAN.png

CPM-NHLbrights-35-SJS.png

I've always wanted to see a green Canucks jersey, but the design you used is sweet, and the addition of yellow works very well. As for the Sharks, love the semi-gradient with multiple shades of teal/teal-gray. Great job on both.

Thank you everybody for all the comments!! The NHL Brights Series is quickly coming to an end. My first post was on September 25 and almost two months later, we're down to just two final concepts--one current NHL team, and one vintage team. If you've been keeping tabs, then you know I've saved the New York Islanders until almost the end. Why?? BECAUSE I BROUGHT BACK THE FISHERMAN, THAT'S WHY. This would be even more shocking had the Fisherman logo not been resurrected just a few weeks ago on merchandise celebrating the Islanders' final season at Nassau Coliseum. But... since I made this concept before that happened, my thinking was that this would help send the series out with a bang. C&C and thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-39-NYI.png

Pretty good. Very '90s, but so is the logo and the addition of teal. :)

On that topic, I've always sort of wondered what a teal jersey would look like with that fisherman logo. Like the Dolphins on ice, I suspect.

And we're down to the final three teams. If you've been following along, you already know that the last two current NHL teams in the series are from the state of New York. Today we have Buffalo (which is under about 10 feet of snow as I'm typing this...). So to brighten up their snowy days, I bring you this exceedingly bright yellow jersey. I'll let this one speak for itself. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-38-BUF.png

Like the Sabres in yellow. They have a great logo, but I do find their current set a bit too plain, and this makes it considerably less so.

Archived