California Golden Seals

Bwana Bob

Here's a closeup of the stitching. I used the Seals jersey photo as my guide and re-drew it in vector form in Corel Draw. From that we created a file for the Ioline applique cutter to cut the twill and generated the sew file for the Tajima.

IMG_3413.jpgrad93E051834F.jpg

Condorssig.jpg

Also...is it truly a fake jersey if nobody offers a legit version of it?

Yes. The logos are still the property of someone.

Now, if you made it yourself and had no intentions of selling it, that's a bit of a different story.

ColorWerx: No, we weren't able to specify the exact colors but the colors we ended up with were really close. The guy that made the jersey did a great job, and we able to find some tackle twill that matched it perfectly.

If a jersey is commercially available, not only don't I want to infringe on other's properties by making it myself, but it's easier and cheaper just to buy it. If this jersey is for sale somewhere, I haven't seen it. The ones I have seen on eBay are really bad.

Also, I didn't make these to sell. The fun is making something unique that isn't on the market, and for personal use only.

Condorssig.jpg

Now, if you made it yourself and had no intentions of selling it, that's a bit of a different story.

Pretty sure the Sharks still own all of those old Seals/Golden Seals trademarks.

Pretty sure the Stars still own all of those old Seals/Golden Seals trademarks.

Ftfy.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Pretty sure the Stars still own all of those old Seals/Golden Seals trademarks.

Ftfy.

Actually you broke it for me. The Gunds moved the Seals to Cleveland, and then after two years combined the team with the North Stars. In 1991, the Gunds were granted an "expansion franchise" and took their ownership interest (and about half the roster) back out of the North Stars to form the San Jose Sharks, ergo the Sharks are your current day Seals and still own their marks.

But do we know that the marks went with the Sharks half of the organization? If San Jose was really an "expansion franchise", as you say, it seems unlikely they would have access to any other team's assets.

It's a odd situation that the NHL should recognize as being an unmerger. But even so I don't think the Sharks took any copyrights (though I could be wrong), just players.

untitled-6.jpg

Does the NHL retain defunct teams marks? That's the way it works with most leagues.

It appears so, yes. The Coyotes are recognized as being the original Jets and have all the records. The logos though? Those were owned by the league. It was the NHL, not the Coyotes, who transferred the original Jets' marks to the new Jets when the Thrashers moved.

Does the NHL retain defunct teams marks? That's the way it works with most leagues.

It appears so, yes. The Coyotes are recognized as being the original Jets and have all the records. The logos though? Those were owned by the league. It was the NHL, not the Coyotes, who transferred the original Jets' marks to the new Jets when the Thrashers moved.

But the NHL owned the Coyotes at the time, and I don't think they ever really said which hat they were wearing when they gave the Jets logos to the new Jets.

My gut says the NHL owns the Seals marks, but I can't put my finger on why.

But do we know that the marks went with the Sharks half of the organization? If San Jose was really an "expansion franchise", as you say, it seems unlikely they would have access to any other team's assets.

It's a odd situation that the NHL should recognize as being an unmerger. But even so I don't think the Sharks took any copyrights (though I could be wrong), just players.

The Gunds took everything they brought with them to MN from Cleveland out to San Jose. I quoted "expansion" for a reason as they were not your typical expansion team that started from scratch. I'm almost certain that included all of the rights to the California Seals/Oakland Seals/California Golden Seals/Cleveland Barons marks.

I'm pretty sure the NHL owns the rights to the Seals and Barons. That franchise doesn't exist anymore. They ceased to exist when they were absorbed into the North Stars. There was never any sort of unmerger. The Gunds sold the North Stars to Howard Baldwin for $31 million and bought the expansion Sharks for $50 million. They had to pay an expansion fee and even participated in an expansion draft. They were a new entity. The Gunds were able to bring some players with them because of a deal they struck with Baldwin in that they wanted to take some players to use as a foundation instead of building the team from scratch. I believe part of this was a reduction in the sale price because I remember the Gunds wanted over $40 million for the North Stars and the ended getting less than that and lost money after this sale/expansion purchase was complete. After Baldwin agreed to this he wanted to be compensated for the players he would lose and the NHL allowed the North Stars to participate in the expansion draft.

Gil Stein who worked with then president John Ziegler and succeeded him as president a year later goes into detail about this in chapter 6 of his book Power Plays: An Inside Look at the Big Business of the National Hockey League, under the chapter "The Noon Balloon to Saskatoon", (p 116-137) he made it clear that it was not an unmerger. And he actually worked on this sale/expansion deal with the Gunds and Baldwin moreso then Ziegler actually did.

The Catch of the Day!

Archived