This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

I'm confident I could find homophobic and/or racist Twitter rants about that by some fans from all 30 teams. But only a few teams have their fans examined to that degree and articles written to "expose" it.

And that's because of the rest of the stuff you wrote which is valid, normal, natural reaction whether it's entirely fair or not.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with ripping on Cardinals fans for the sake of ripping on Cardinals fans. I do it all the time! It's fun! What I don't like is conflating it with Gawker Media's greater agenda of social justice, as if St. Louis Cardinals fandom itself as a concept is part of the oppression of black people. It isn't. This is going past busting Will Leitch's balls (also fun) and into something that's bigger than it has a right to be. Yes, there are Cardinals fans with ugly, retrograde political views. One used to post here. But we're talking about a team that's popular with lots of people in lots of places, geographically and socioeconomically. Like you said, "F*** the Cardinals" and "Go Dodgers" takes it beyond reporting and shaming and into some strange narrative where a Guggenheim-owned business is cast as the heroes for all that is really right and good and coastal-sensibility-approved. Sure, I'd love it if the Dodgers won the series and Yasiel Puig teabagged Fredbird, but it's not a victory against the intolerance of Gasconade County dicksmacks (putative Single A affiliate?). I feel bad for good, thoughtful fans being dragged down by the hype-buying BFIBs. I also recognize that this could have happened in Chicago or Detroit or Miami or anywhere that race relations are a powder keg waiting to explode.

Yeah that's right, I'll stand up for Cardinals fans before I stand up for Deadspin! Midwestern solidarity!

It's depressing that they're drunk on their own hate machine. I don't get Deadspin's purpose anymore. Some of their writing is still very good, if not long winded, but they have definitely lost their way and are slowly becoming the angry sports version of Cracked.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think of them as a socially conscious ESPN. Fundamentally, they traffic in exactly the same stupid gossip and LeBron James worship as their big brothers in Bristol, they just spin it as being about taking down the patriarchy. It's really about advertising revenues, of course, just like ESPN or anyone else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What a bunch of horse :censored: when the Bartman incident happened Cards can jumped on how awful Cubs fans are, but when it's the other way around "oh no it's just a couple of fans, no way representive of the fanbase".

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

So my head is still spinning from the earlier discussion... did Kershaw deserve to win because he's the best pitcher in baseball and the playoffs against the Cardinals just aren't fair because he pitched twice in a 4-game series and that's just too small a sample size for a guy who pitches every fifth day in a 162-game season?

(Yeah, that's a run-on.)

Or is it okay because he gets a regular-season award? Maybe two?

Enjoy your victory Stank Louis, Looks like Clayton Kershaw has to settle for the Cy Young. It won't be long until Psycho Panda strikes on Washington. At least you have the Kings, Ducks, Lakers and Clips to follow.

Damn. The Cardinals are Cardinal-ing again.

It's gonna be 2012 all over again!

Regardless of who wins the American, there should be a feel-good team coming into the WS.

Cardinals in 5

I don't know. We may be getting to the point where the Giants become the cynic's choice.

As a cynic, I am getting a pretty good feeling that the Cards or Giants will win it all...(again, no hate, just preference for something new). The winner of this year's NLCS may get a strong hold on the "most hated/envied team award." Though maybe not. Maybe, since AT&T Park is kinda a "fun place to hangout" and the fan base is not as "knowledgeable" and there is no "Giant Way", it remains the Cards regardless.

But yeah, feel good AL team loses to Cards or Giants. McCarthy posts "this is why sports are no fun." I "like" the post.

The Giants kinda feel different because for decades, they were snakebitten and could never win the big one.

It's amazing how they went from a team many felt sorry for and wanted to see win to WE'RE TIRED OF THEM

Guess America loves them some parity

Archived