This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

As much as I want to praise Kansas City for playing like their asses are on fire, blame has to go to Anaheim for not stepping up when it matters.

Going 2 for 25 with runners in scoring position for the series isn't going to get anything done. If this was early in the season, this could be something that can be chalked up to 'that's a fixable problem with practice and time'

In a playoff series, that spells doom.. and this was the best team in the majors this season. It's almost like they couldn't handle the pressure of being the big dog.

Now we have Kansas City and Baltimore in the ALCS and, let's face it, it makes me feel good to see new blood in the postseason do well.

The city of Anaheim is to blame for the Angels losing? What do they have to with anything? You think the Angels were distracted by the negotiations over the stadium? That really shouldn't affect the players.

Pay attention, speedy! When I said 'Anaheim', I meant the team. I highly doubt the players are affected by the stadium issues at this moment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Nationals & No Dodgers would be fine. Two of the biggest arrogant pricks (Harper & Puig) out of the playoffs would be excellent. Of course some people confuse their arrogance as passion for the game. Those people would be wrong of course.

Of course Giants fans would dismiss the Dodgers and Nationals as "vile, classless scumbags," while defending the Cardinals and their fans for playing and cheering "purist" baseball. Wouldn't surprise me if Giants fans also had disgust for what the Royals are doing right now.

The World Series will begin in either Kauffman Stadium or Camden Yards.

That's the coolest thing that's happened in baseball since 2010 before I was sick of the Giants for ruining my Reds 2012 season.

Better

Yeah I'm the only one bored with the Giants. Just me and me alone.

Let it go, man. He and other Giants fans think others love their team, when they're simply "Cardinals-Lite," in that general, baseball fans would be bored with yet another World Series run with them.

No Nationals & No Dodgers would be fine. Two of the biggest arrogant pricks (Harper & Puig) out of the playoffs would be excellent. Of course some people confuse their arrogance as passion for the game. Those people would be wrong of course.

Of course Giants fans would dismiss the Dodgers and Nationals as "vile, classless scumbags," while defending the Cardinals and their fans for playing and cheering "purist" baseball. Wouldn't surprise me if Giants fans also had disgust for what the Royals are doing right now.

That's the coolest thing that's happened in baseball since 2010 before I was sick of the Giants for ruining my Reds 2012 season.

Better

Let it go, man. He and other Giants fans think others love their team, when they're simply "Cardinals-Lite," in that general, baseball fans would be bored with yet another World Series run with them.

Cardinals Lite? I disagree. They should be named the Black Cards or the Panda Patrol for all I care!

Interesting stat: 13 of the first 17 ALCS featured either the Orioles or Royals, but despite being in opposite divisions that entire time this is the first time they've ever played each other.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Better

Cardinals Lite? I disagree. They should be named the Black Cards or the Panda Patrol for all I care!

If everyone is so tired of the Giants and Cardinals always "winning the NL" then the other teams in said league have to put a stop it by beating them. Until then stop the god damn whining, bitching, moaning and complaining. It's starting to get real :censored:ing lame. I think 7 years on here seems like enough. Its been real and I enjoyed every minute of it so peace out mother :censored:ers and Go Giants!

The bitching about bitching has become worse than the original bitching. Nice ragequit, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Interesting stat: 13 of the first 17 ALCS featured either the Orioles or Royals, but despite being in opposite divisions that entire time this is the first time they've ever played each other.

Most people here are too young to remember, but there was a time when the O's and Royals were among MLB's "elite." The Royals were once considered baseball's "model franchise." They had this thing called...I think...the Royals Academy. It was supposed to be a player development type thing or something. But if memory serves, it only lasted a year or two. Before there was the "Cardinal Way" there was the "Oriole Way." The O's were basically that era's version of today's Cardinals. Funny how things changed. But it's great to see both teams back in the mix.

BB52Big.jpg

If everyone is so tired of the Giants and Cardinals always "winning the NL" then the other teams in said league have to put a stop it by beating them. Until then stop the god damn whining, bitching, moaning and complaining. It's starting to get real :censored:ing lame. I think 7 years on here seems like enough. Its been real and I enjoyed every minute of it so peace out mother :censored:ers and Go Giants!

I have no control over what my favorite team does and neither do you. All I can do is whine, bitch, moan, and complain. That's the extent of my power as a fan. I can't stop the Giants by beating them because I'm not a professional baseball player nor am I a professional baseball executive.

And I'll tell you what I tell Cardinals fans. It's the price of success. You get to be a fan of a successful team AND hear about it from other fans or you get to be a fan of a lousy team and not hear it from other fans. You can't have both.

Nobody hates Rockies fans right now. Would you rather be the Rockies? Would that be real :censored:ing lame?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Most people here are too young to remember, but there was a time when the O's and Royals were among MLB's "elite." The Royals were once considered baseball's "model franchise." They had this thing called...I think...the Royals Academy. It was supposed to be a player development type thing or something. But if memory serves, it only lasted a year or two. Before there was the "Cardinal Way" there was the "Oriole Way." The O's were basically that era's version of today's Cardinals. Funny how things changed. But it's great to see both teams back in the mix.

I am old enough to remember those days well . . . and fondly. I use to hate when the Orioles had to play in KC because they were ill suited to the huge astroturf field.

More on the Royals Academy --

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article940797.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Royals_Baseball_Academy

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well my predictions went to :censored:. In my heart I had Tigers over Nationals; in my brain I had Angels over Nationals. I'm still pulling for the Nationals if they can somehow come back, but otherwise I'm pulling for the AL team. The Royals are a division rival but they've been in the basement so long that it's hard not to root for them. They're also a small market team with a home-grown roster. Gotta respect that. The Orioles I've always sort of liked too. Can't stand Giants, Dodgers or Cards.

sig.png

First, that statistic is amazing.

I am just old enough to remember the tail end of this. I recall that the O's beat Philly in the 1983 World Series (but cannot name a play that happened). And so I recall a few good Royals teams. Oddly I don't remember the Denkinger call (but I do remember the Game 7 pitchers dual between Tudor and Saberhagen being a disappointing route).

Anyway, particularly with the Royals (since Baltimore had some payroll-fueled postseason trips in the 90s), I am glad to recall that. Anyone much younger than I probably just thinks of the Royals as the least successful franchise in sports.

I am happy for their fan base.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I use to hate when the Orioles had to play in KC because they were ill suited to the huge astroturf field.

In Weaver on Strategy, Earl Weaver admits that the one place his system didn't work was Kansas City because of the deep fences and bad bounces off the Tartan Turf. Though the carpet is gone, it is interesting to see the slugging Orioles against the speedy Royals with all that history in mind. What's new isn't new at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I use to hate when the Orioles had to play in KC because they were ill suited to the huge astroturf field.

In Weaver on Strategy, Earl Weaver admits that the one place his system didn't work was Kansas City because of the deep fences and bad bounces off the Tartan Turf. Though the carpet is gone, it is interesting to see the slugging Orioles against the speedy Royals with all that history in mind. What's new isn't new at all.

That, and Amos Otis* was a :censored:-ing wizard in CF. B)

*OK, I'll admit I have no idea if Amos Otis had any effect whatsoever. I just wanted to drop Amos Otis and his ratty old glove with a hole in the palm of it into the conversation.

BB52Big.jpg

Born in 1987 here. I’ve always viewed the Royals as the AL's version of the Pirates. Small market team, dormant fanbase, good in the 70’s, but their past successes were just stories, something I hadn't experienced myself. As I grew into baseball both of those teams were pretty anonymous, innocuous, they existed so they could fill out baseball's 30 team league. They weren’t really someone you gave two thoughts about. And in little league you didn’t want to be on the Royals because they had the most boring uniforms.

The Orioles were a little different for me because my dad spent a few of his childhood years in Baltimore and was an Orioles fan so I knew about Earl Weaver, the Frank Robinson trade, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, etc. Then Cal Ripken Jr broke the record on my birthday, I pulled for them in 97 against Cleveland when all my friends wanted the Indians to win, and they had the coolest stadium at the time.

I’m very happy for both fanbases and I really like seeing fans get rewarded for sticking through the bad times. That’s why I get so tired of teams like the Cardinals continually making deep playoff runs. It’s why the Saints in 09 were a better story than the Steelers in 08. It's why the Giants in 2010 was a better story than the Giants in 2012. Those people don’t have the same appreciation for the good times that the fans of bad teams have. They’re jaded and spoiled and it gets old.

Another example: in the 90’s I hated the Cowboys and now I couldn’t be more indifferent towards them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Born in 1987 here, I’ve always viewed the Royals as the AL's version of the Pirates. Small market team, dormant fanbase, good in the 70’s, but their past successes were just stories, something I hadn't experienced myself. As I grew into baseball both of those teams were pretty anonymous, innocuous, they existed so they could fill out baseball's 30 team league. They weren’t really someone you gave two thoughts about. And in little league you didn’t want to be on the Royals because they had the most boring uniforms.
The Orioles were a little different for me because my dad spent a few of his childhood years in Baltimore and was an Orioles fan so I knew about Earl Weaver, the Frank Robinson trade, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, etc. Then Cal Ripken Jr broke the record on my birthday, I pulled for them in 97 against Cleveland when all my friends wanted the Indians to win, and they had the coolest stadium at the time.
I’m very happy for both fanbases and I really like seeing fans get rewarded for sticking through the bad times. That’s why I get so tired of teams like the Cardinals continually making deep playoff runs. It’s why the Saints in 09 were a better story than the Steelers in 08. It's why the Giants in 2010 was a better story than the Giants in 2012. Those people don’t have the same appreciation for the good times that the fans of teams have. They’re jaded and spoiled and it gets old.
Another example: in the 90’s I hated the Cowboys and now I couldn’t be more indifferent towards them.

That's probably the case with a lot of sports fans. Back in their 70's heyday, I despised the Orioles. Now? Well, I'm actually wearing an Orioles t-shirt the GF bought me for my birthday back in April as I type this. (I didn't suddenly become an O's fan, I just dug the retro t-shirt with the old cartoon bird. I wish I had a Royals t-shirt too.) I went through this sort of thing twice with the Cowboys. Despised them in the 70's and early 80's. Then they were terrible and I was indifferent to them. Then they got good again and I hated them again. And now I'm right back to indifferent. It's happened with a bunch of teams over the years.

Anyway, the Royals fan I'm most happy for is my brother. My mom moved to KC back in 1978 when my brother was about 6 years old and they lived there until he was 12. He grew up being a Royals fan and he has stuck with them ever since. Want to have a two hour argument? Just tell my brother that George Brett isn't the greatest third baseman of all time.

BB52Big.jpg

Born in 1987 here, I’ve always viewed the Royals as the AL's version of the Pirates. Small market team, dormant fanbase, good in the 70’s, but their past successes were just stories, something I hadn't experienced myself. As I grew into baseball both of those teams were pretty anonymous, innocuous, they existed so they could fill out baseball's 30 team league. They weren’t really someone you gave two thoughts about. And in little league you didn’t want to be on the Royals because they had the most boring uniforms.
I’m very happy for both fanbases and I really like seeing fans get rewarded for sticking through the bad times. That’s why I get so tired of teams like the Cardinals continually making deep playoff runs. It’s why the Saints in 09 were a better story than the Steelers in 08. It's why the Giants in 2010 was a better story than the Giants in 2012. Those people don’t have the same appreciation for the good times that the fans of teams have. They’re jaded and spoiled and it gets old.

That's probably the case with a lot of sports fans. Back in their 70's heyday, I despised the Orioles. Now? Well, I'm actually wearing an Orioles t-shirt the GF bought me for my birthday back in April as I type this. (I didn't suddenly become an O's fan, I just dug the retro t-shirt with the old cartoon bird. I wish I had a Royals t-shirt too.) I went through this sort of thing twice with the Cowboys. Despised them in the 70's and early 80's. Then they were terrible and I was indifferent to them. Then they got good again and I hated them again. And now I'm right back to indifferent. It's happened with a bunch of teams over the years.

Anyway, the Royals fan I'm most happy for is my brother. My mom moved to KC back in 1978 when my brother was about 6 years old and they lived there until he was 12. He grew up being a Royals fan and he has stuck with them ever since. Want to have a two hour argument? Just tell my brother that George Brett isn't the greatest third baseman of all time.

And that's a great story. I know several Pirates fans who are the same way and it's hard not to feel great for them even though their team eliminated mine and their city can go collapse into a hole. I also know a guy who used to wear an orange and black "F*** Angelos" shirt to class in college and this Orioles run has me texting him for the first time since we graduated. It's way harder to be romantic about the Cardinals fan who stuck around through multiple playoff, World Series appearances, and a couple World Championships.

I'm not saying I want to see a new team win every year. Sports is more fun when you have some teams dominate an era, but I like variety too. Time changes things. If the Cardinals turned into the Pirates and lost for 20 straight years there's no way I'd have the same feelings towards them as I do now.

What I'm saying is the Cardinals should lose for 20 straight years and my posts would get less annoying.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Would anyone choose a Cardinals/Royals series right now?

Man...going back and looking at the "I-70 Showdown", I completely forgot who all was on those teams. Andujar, Porter, Lonnie Smith, and the Quis. For nostalgia sake, break out the V-neck pullovers and let's have at it!

I wish to retract my previous "boring" statement.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

It was boring in '85. It would be boring now.

Was it boring in '85? All I really remember is the Denkinger call in game 6 and the Royals blowing out the Cards in game 7. Didn't the Royals come back from being down 3-1 in that series?

BB52Big.jpg

It was boring in '85. It would be boring now.

Was it boring in '85? All I really remember is the Denkinger call in game 6 and the Royals blowing out the Cards in game 7. Didn't the Royals come back from being down 3-1 in that series?

It's hard to argue a 7-game series as "boring," though folks on the coast don't love two "flyover" teams being involved.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived