This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How dare Budweiser make me feel bad when trying to watch a sporting event. I just want to watch competitive baseball, not have a kick in the feels about dog losing his own to drunk driving. Why don't you just tag-team that with the Sara McLachlan ASPCA ad too, you emotionally manipulative pricks.

Otherwise, I have no issue with any remaining team. I enjoy the Giants and Cards are my top two NL teams equally and I'd feel no qualms with the O's or Royals getting rings either. Thing is, we're guaranteed to see at least one non-traditional market in the WS and that's a good thing.

Now if only Bay Area hockey would get the message.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Giants win, will face Cardinals in NLCS. Four Divisional Series - only one higher seed advances (Baltimore).

ALCS

#2 Orioles (Camden Yards)*

#4a Royals (Kauffman Stadium)

NLCS

#3 Cardinals (Busch Stadium)*

#4b Giants (AT&T Park)

*Team holds Home Field "Advantage"

World Series Possibilities :

Baltimore vs St. Louis

Kansas City vs San Francisco

St. Louis vs Kansas City

San Francisco vs Baltimore

This team seems to have no bats when it comes to the playoffs. There needs to be some shaking up this offseason. If 96 wins isn't getting you to the World Series, what is?

Falling on the right side of SSS randomness.

And having a manager who deems it best to use his #5 option in the 7th inning of a 2-2 game with two men on base. But, mainly, the first thing I said.

spacer.png

The only real story right now that would be of some interest would be another I-70 Series where hopefully the Royals could prove that they can beat the Cards without Don Denkinger.

Other than that, here's hoping for the meteorite!

VmWIn6B.png

The Nats starters did everything they could.

If you told me they'd allow 9 runs in 4 games, I'd figure at worst we'd be going to a game 5.

But the bats under than Harper went cold.

As for the Dodgers- well, the starters did OK, the bats weren't as cold as the Nats/Angels, but boy did they give up big innings at bad times. Not Tigers bad, but maybe they should have gone after Andrew Miller at the deadline.

If they had a guy like him, Kershaw's done after the 6th.

All in all- bleep NL baseball. 5 straight years- same old same old.

Go anyone but them next year and forever more.

This is one of the strangest Giants teams I have ever seen (considering their rebound from the fall in June/July/first half of August and their ability to beat teams that gave them trouble in the regular season like the Pirates at PNC and the Nationals), and I love them all the more for it.

Bring on the Redbirds!!!!

So my head is still spinning from the earlier discussion... did Kershaw deserve to win because he's the best pitcher in baseball and the playoffs against the Cardinals just aren't fair because he pitched twice in a 4-game series and that's just too small a sample size for a guy who pitches every fifth day in a 162-game season?

(Yeah, that's a run-on.)

Or is it okay because he gets a regular-season award? Maybe two?

Kershaw is a great example. Dude is hands down the best pitcher in the league. It's absurd what just happened to him. But it's a couple baseball games, and it can happen.

It's not that he deserved to win by any means, it's just that Shelby Miller isn't a better pitcher than Clayton Kershaw just because he was better today.

I think that's the only point anyone was trying to make. At least it was my point. I don't think being a league champion makes you the best team. It makes you the champion. That's great and fine and awesome. I just lament that the teams that do it from game 1 to game 162, but fall short because things don't go there way in 5 or 7 games get forgotten.

I'm not really asking for anything to change except people's perceptions of those teams, I guess.

Hey Washington, here's what I think of your best record in baseball!

[Mod redacted image]

The Panda Cartel has spoken!

[Mod redacted image]

What did I miss.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived