The Orioles Cartoon Bird

TheFloridianLogoMan

My personal favorite version...

ozlqmb52amsbssauhigi7hkx5.gif

Dear God, no!!! I can't stand that logo. The bird just looks too wimpy . . . or something. If you want a cartoon bird swinging a bat, you need this one.

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

I can see why you'd say that... I like the attitude and pose of the second logo quite a bit. I just think the drawing itself isn't nearly as nice. The linework is too timid. The one I prefer just has bolder lines and is overall more consistent IMO. Although I do like them both. I'm a sucker any and all cartoon baseball logos that are taking a giant cut at a ball.

Brewers1970logo.pngqz3plfchujmjek1ll2do.gif

actual-swinging-friar.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why you'd say that... I like the attitude and pose of the second logo quite a bit. I just think the drawing itself isn't nearly as nice. The linework is too timid. The one I prefer just has bolder lines and is overall more consistent IMO. Although I do like them both. I'm a sucker any and all cartoon baseball logos that are taking a giant cut at a ball.

First bolded part: I can see your point . . . but you're still not changing my mind. :)

Second bolded part: DITTO!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I just noticed in ren69's update thread that the Swinging Bird logo I posted above isn't the original. The left one below is the original.

29moqvd.jpggnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

A side-by-side comparison shows that the differences are somewhat subtle (details on the spikes, fingers), but the original is definitely sharper.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I've always wondered why the Oriole has a hat... with a hat on it. Always picks at my brain when I see that logo.

I kinda thought it looked like a "standing bird". While I hate this logo, I am glad the update uses "O's"...it's much better than an orange splotch. A "B" would have been best, but I can live with this.

Anyway, the wins/losses and fan preferences add up. "Happy Bird" is not going anywhere. I absolutely hate campy logos like this, the old Dolphin, Beer Barrel Man, etc. Perhaps I am just humorless.

The more recent versions tried to hard to look like photos. This just utilized white and the team's two colors. Simple.

But I have lost this battle.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My favorite cap logo is this:

wfmo75fhp359n99v9g3ofmbyf.gif

The more recent versions tried to hard to look like photos. This just utilized white and the team's two colors. Simple.

But I have lost this battle.

This is the logo that I remember them in when I first fell in love with them as a young kid. Therefore, this bird is still my favorite. The later more detailed bird was too much for me. The cartoon bird update is really growing on me and it is pretty much right up there at #2.

My personal favorite version...

ozlqmb52amsbssauhigi7hkx5.gif

Dear God, no!!! I can't stand that logo. The bird just looks too wimpy . . . or something. If you want a cartoon bird swinging a bat, you need this one.

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

Brewers1970logo.pngqz3plfchujmjek1ll2do.gif

actual-swinging-friar.png

2269.gif

kate-upton-mlb-alds-detroit-tigers-balti

The top left corner of this pic shows a Orioles logo that looks like the former primary front the first cartoon bird era....BUT it looks different.

Is that Upton wearing the funny logo from the 1930s? (or something around there)

Looks like the 80s Tigers logo.

The swinging cartoon bird is definitely bigger in that roundel...could be an "updated" logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

kate-upton-mlb-alds-detroit-tigers-balti

The top left corner of this pic shows a Orioles logo that looks like the former primary front the first cartoon bird era....BUT it looks different.

Is that Upton wearing the funny logo from the 1930s? (or something around there)

Looks like the 80s Tigers logo.

The swinging cartoon bird is definitely bigger in that roundel...could be an "updated" logo.

The bird doesn't overlap the roundel on the original. I don't think I have noticed that one before.

A clarification - this is the "official" primary mark from 1954 through 1963:

BaltimoreOrioles_PMK0100a_1954-1963_SCC_

From 1964 through 1965, the Orioles used an obscure cartoon bird which apparently MLB could not secure a trademark for. I had never seen it until recently. I'll try to post a picture of it shortly.

Archived