2014-5 NBA Season Thread: We Are North American Ballerz

buzzcut

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would normally be pretty concerned about Beal's injury, but considering how bad the East is, the Wizards can probably tread water for the first month of the season. I just hope this doesn't turn into a John Wall situation from 2 years ago.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

The NBA will test a 44-minute game during an Oct. 19 preseason matchup between the Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets, the league announced in a press release.

Standard NBA games are 48 minutes, but the league said it wants to compare the "flow" of a 44-minute game to a 48-minute contest. Quarters, typically 12 minutes each, will be 11 minutes.

From the NBA's press release:

“At our recent coaches’ meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format,” said NBA President, Basketball Operations Rod Thorn. “After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths.”

NBA games have been 48 minutes since the inception of the league in 1946

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/14/nba-preseason-44-minute-game

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

What could the NBA possibly gain from "experimenting" with such a small sample size of ONE preseason game shortened by 4 minutes as compared to the thousands of games played at 48 or more? why would a quarter being shortened by a minute change the "flow?" Most people, when talking about the flow of a basketball game, are talking about fouls and commercial breaks. Neither of which will change with shorter games (commercials won't be lessened at all if/when they put ads on jerseys, which is also the biggest reason i don't wanna see them). If the Nets go through the whole season with minimal injuries, is that evidence that the "experiment" worked and helped prevent injury? Of course not! If both teams still manage to score 100+ points with 4 less minutes, is that evidence that the 4 minutes won't affect stats? How could it be!?

This is just a clever way of the owners proposing to cut "7 games" of playing time from the schedule while not actually missing any actual game revenue when the next CBA is being negotiated. All while painting it as "these lazy players have the audacity to want MORE money while playing LESS?!?!? UNGRATEFUL! SELFISH!!"

Hats off to the owners. This is how billionaires become billionaires, with slick :censored: like this. It'll probably work, too.

I've started to get back into following basketball and with my recent trip and looking back when I was younger, I've decided to take my fan talents to the Valley and join the Phoenix Suns.

They've prepared for your joining them by giving themselves the worst branding in their franchise's history.

That was one thing that was holding me back honestly.

At least they've got good retro items (which is what I picked up in Phoenix a month or so ago).

I decided I changed my mind. The Suns have some ugly jerseys and logo and I wasn't all that sold on them.

Since I'm (sort of, essentially) getting started with basketball, I'm going to start at the bottom with the 76ers. Can't get much worse from they are now.

IbjBaeE.png

Well it shows he's healthy and can put up decent numbers. I'd like to think that maybe if he can keeps up the production and the team can win some games that he is sitting, they could make the playoffs. It's unlikely but at least seems possible.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I was a big fan of his at Syracuse, but no team giving Wes Johnson 40 minutes in an NBA game is going to win much of anything.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What could the NBA possibly gain from "experimenting" with such a small sample size of ONE preseason game shortened by 4 minutes as compared to the thousands of games played at 48 or more? why would a quarter being shortened by a minute change the "flow?" Most people, when talking about the flow of a basketball game, are talking about fouls and commercial breaks. Neither of which will change with shorter games (commercials won't be lessened at all if/when they put ads on jerseys, which is also the biggest reason i don't wanna see them). If the Nets go through the whole season with minimal injuries, is that evidence that the "experiment" worked and helped prevent injury? Of course not! If both teams still manage to score 100+ points with 4 less minutes, is that evidence that the 4 minutes won't affect stats? How could it be!?

I think this is more of the NFL model where they throw rule changes out there to get people talking. To garner interest in otherwise uninteresting games. The NFL always has these press releases about changing extra points or this or that. While some rules do get implemented, I think a lot of it is to keep the league in the front of peoples' minds. Its the NBA preseason... not many fans are terribly interested unless you have a monumental off season, like the '10 Heat, '14 Bulls, and '14 Cavs, or teams that have real championship aspirations and added 1 or 2 key pieces.

The NBA tanking policy lives on. What a dumb panicky decision.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The NBA tanking policy lives on. What a dumb panicky decision.

The idea on the table was horrible, and the real dumb panicky decision would have been changing the draft format now while teams still owe picks.

Tanking has to be the most overblown "problem" in sports. The NBA seems to think fans don't like tanking, when in reality, it's rooting for a futile treadmill team that fans actually don't like. The fact is, there will always be bad teams, and they will always need a franchise-changing superstar to become relevant. And for most markets, the only way they're getting one is in the draft.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The NBA team I'm most curious about this season are the Suns.

While they defied the odds last year, are they one of those statistical outliers ala, say, last year's Colorado Avalanche?

Is this gonna be one of those unsustainabile hot shooting things or is more believable they can have a above .500 season again?

The NBA team I'm most curious about this season are the Suns.

While they defied the odds last year, are they one of those statistical outliers ala, say, last year's Colorado Avalanche?

Is this gonna be one of those unsustainabile hot shooting things or is more believable they can have a above .500 season again?

They're most likely going to be where they were last season; a winning team who gets crowded out of a playoff spot. I can't see any of the eight Western playoff teams from last season declining enough to where Phoenix can slip in. That being said, the Suns' three guard attack with Dragic, Bledsoe, and Thomas is gonna be really fun to watch.

The Southeast Division will be very interesting this year. There are four teams that made the playoffs last season in Wizards, Heat, Hawks and Hornets, and with Al Horford coming back for Atlanta, any of the first-mentioned three can win the division.

Archived