Why doesn't every pro sports team have a ton of alternates?

Phils Phan

I HATE the idea of such, but honestly more uniforms mean more sales, so why don't pro teams have as many unis as possible?

Some teams have tradition. The uniforms mean something.

Those that have no history of winning or longevity...go nuts.

87Redskins.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually prefer seeing teams were throwback uniforms rather than alternate uniforms.

Aren't throwbacks considered alternates?

What I mean is that I like to see teams wear uniforms from the past rather than random ones that were just made up immediately.

What i like though is what Cleveland Cavaliers do with their Cavfanatics jerseys and mash up 2 different eras to come up with multiple alts. If done tastefully this can be done in all the major sports. Like Tampa Bay previous uniform template

4443_tampa_bay_buccaneers-alternate-2012

But done with their new or recent(Super Bowl champions) colors. Or vice versa. New unis with old Orangish colors. Terrible but you see where im going.

shado_logo.gif

Because unlike Oregon, pro teams tend to care about tradition which makes them money just fine.

Why hate on Oregon? They pull it off fine.

It has less to do with tradition and more with branding. That's why Dallas initially wow white at home. They could wear the same jersey so viewers would automatically know who the cowboys were

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

When I'm king of the world, college football is getting a 3-2-1 rule. You get 3 jerseys, 2 pants, and 1 helmet. THAT'S IT. It's ridiculous how all these teams get brand new top to bottom uniforms every week. (oh but there's no money in this sport if we paid the players we'd be ruined!)

1zgyd8w.jpg

Because unlike Oregon, pro teams tend to care about tradition which makes them money just fine.

Why hate on Oregon? They pull it off fine.

Who said anything about Oregon? They're hardly the only team that keeps putting out ridiculous alternates. They're the pinnacle but they're not the only example.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

i have no problem with alternates as long as its limited to one main alternate and then maybe 1 special event jersey (winter classic, throwback night, nba christmas day). the problem i do have is when teams use an alternate in the playoffs as opposed to their regular uniforms (i'm looking at you san jose sharks)

When I'm king of the world, college football is getting a 3-2-1 rule. You get 3 jerseys, 2 pants, and 1 helmet. THAT'S IT. It's ridiculous how all these teams get brand new top to bottom uniforms every week. (oh but there's no money in this sport if we paid the players we'd be ruined!)

Meh, if it's college, I say go 3-3-3. 27 combinations is enough to allow for some leeway while preventing it from getting out of control.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Because people can see through blatant profiteering like that. In soccer, clubs like Manchester United (early-2000s) and Newcastle (past few seasons) have released fourth strips, with low sales and unimpressed supporters. Tottenham drew heavy criticism in 2010 for releasing six shirts - though in reality it was three, just with differing versions for European tournament play, featuring a different sponsor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8848630.stm

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

The Dodgers already went there, they learned their lesson.

When your regular uniform is that good, you don't dilute your branding with pointless alternates.

then what do you call the grey jersey with Dodgers on the front ? now that is :censored:ing pointless.

A royal blue Dodgers jersey could be great, it is after all their primary color.

OP hates alternates, but asks why teams don´t have a ton of them .......makes sense

Um.....what? I even said in my first post I hated the idea, I'm just asking why with how money-grubbing pro teams are why they don't do it, even if I despise the idea. In fact if it were up to me alternates would be banned, I cannot think of a case where any team needs more than two uniforms.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

The Dodgers already went there, they learned their lesson.

When your regular uniform is that good, you don't dilute your branding with pointless alternates.

That would be a good standard, but who does not wear alts? The Cubs do (and there is nothing worse than showing up at Wrigley and seeing the Cubs come out in blue).

I admit that I don't even know who does not...I will guess Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers, and Cardinals. And I think the Yankees are the only team that has not done so. Do the Red Sox still have a red alt?

Unfortunately, there are many teams with great uniforms (A's, White Sox, Blue Jays, and more) that not only have alts but wear them a lot.

I think the answer to the OP's question of why some teams don't have "a ton" of alts is not that easy...I think the Yankees avoid as much of this crap as they can (i.e., everything but the military stuff, which would be a huge PR risk) because they are honestly looking past the money and have some pride in being "that team." Maybe they figure there is a long-run financial benefit of a consistent identity, but I have to figure the sales of a one-off TATC jersey would have financially outweighed the negative reaction.

The other teams that don't dilute us with a ton of jerseys must feel the same way. Either that or they figure that the vast majority of blue Dodgers jerseys purchased would just be bought instead of a white or gray jersey, rendering it a nearly zero-sum game. Or they really feel that the brand dilution would be negative in the long run. (I tend to doubt that one)

In any case, if we have to live in the world of uniforms we live in (which we do), I am glad there are a few teams maintaining a consistent look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What about the A´s green jerseys and the Angels red jersey......don´t tell us you hate those beauties ?

I like 'em both.

And with a 162 game schedule, I think there is room for 'em. But never should both teams where an alt and never should an alt be worn more than 16 times a season (i.e., 10%).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived