Do you think Major League Baseball...

Phils Phan

Pullovers and elastic belts were mostly awful in their day. They would be mostly awful today.

IMO Stanford looks good in pullovers

52307StanfordBaseball1-vi.jpg

Illustrates my point exactly about how a pullover jersey/belted trouser is a nice way of meeting halfway (the 1986 Mets wore such a combo in their World Series championship season). :)

UBwef0L.png

Phor all we know Phils Phan is PhantomDreamer. Phat.

phat

Origin

1970s (originally used to describe a woman, in the sense sexy, attractive): of uncertain origin.

Translations, word origin, and more definitions.

so phat is from the 70´s !

Hashtag: Mindblow !

130301200631-willie-stargell-1971-single

When the Pirates wear throwback alternates on Sundays (at least I think that's what they do), are they pullovers? And do they wear regular pants or elastic waistband pants?

I guess my question is, is anyone wearing pullovers in MLB besides one-off throwbacks? I know the Blue Jays did before the rebrand. And I'm pretty sure the Pirates do now. Do the White Sox on Sundays as well?

my honest opinion on baseball uniforms is that the players are currently wearing too much fabric; there's just no need for all of it except to maintain a traditional appearance, which stagnates progression, and cause some problems like posted above. all the major apparel companies have "self cooling" fabrics now, or at least access to them. a rough idea i have is to outfit players with a performance undershirt (adidas climachill example) with a lightweight pull-over vest over it. theres some work to be done with the pants and hats as well. i know when i played baseball the most annoying thing about standing in the outfield was the heavy, hot leather glove and the hat that made me sweat like crazy.

What? You're claiming the glove was too hot for you? A glove, worn on one hand, was burdensome? And hats make you sweat less, as even the hottest wool cap is keeping the sun off your head and face and absorbing sweat when it does come. And of course that discounts that they are now making hats with more-breathable materials.

And you know I have disagreed with seemingly everything you've ever posted on this board (cordially so, I'd like to think). Of course I also disagree with your assertion that athletes should be able to wear whatever they want. Football uniforms had sleeves, then they started shrinking, and now they've shrunken to the point that they can barely be pulled over the pads. There was nothing wrong or obstructing with the football sleeves circa 2000, yet even though they weren't "sleeves" then, the manufacturers still pushed on and made them even less existent. Look at a football player from even 2006 versus today. The cut of sleeves and the rest of the jersey was dramatically different, but yet they still wore breathable, barely-there fabric and had their entire biceps showing. And they still had a full range of motion. The sleeves going from cap sleeves to glorified tank tops was about aesthetic choice, just like the rest of the uniform changes. No player plays better because he's wearing solid color socks instead of team issue ones, but they still do it because they like the look.

Likewise, in the early 90's, basketball players decided they wanted to wear long shorts, so that became the trend. It wasn't at all performance enhancing, and nobody tried to even make the claim that it was. It was purely aesthetic. Players altering the uniforms to "perform at their best" would equal them altering the uniforms to look coolest. So no, a line needs to be drawn, particularly at baseball. A player or team shouldn't be able so say "I cut my sleeve off because I figure it'll make me faster. Also, YOLO." There's nothing restricting or cumbersome about baseball current baseball uniforms, and any change would be initiated by a manufacturer for the sole purpose of hyping said manufacturer.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Andrew-McCutchen-and-Starling-Marte.jpg

The Pirates really need to invest in mustard helmets go go with those. No excuse not to.

B-b-but pro teams need to save every cent so they don't have to turn the unis into portable billboards! Clearly they don't have enough money otherwise!

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Well, those pants might not qualify as Phantom's "athletic wear" since the throwback reproductions aren't sansabelts. Still, it's an ugly look that my generation loves because it was worn during our childhood, not because it looks good. Wearing it as a throwback on anniversary years is one thing, but it's bad as a regular alternate, let alone a fulltime look. And I don't like the idea or practice of teams completely changing their look and colors on random days, as the Sox do when they wear blue and red for day games instead of their true black and gray.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

my honest opinion on baseball uniforms is that the players are currently wearing too much fabric; there's just no need for all of it except to maintain a traditional appearance, which stagnates progression, and cause some problems like posted above. all the major apparel companies have "self cooling" fabrics now, or at least access to them. a rough idea i have is to outfit players with a performance undershirt (adidas climachill example) with a lightweight pull-over vest over it. theres some work to be done with the pants and hats as well. i know when i played baseball the most annoying thing about standing in the outfield was the heavy, hot leather glove and the hat that made me sweat like crazy.

What? You're claiming the glove was too hot for you? A glove, worn on one hand, was burdensome? And hats make you sweat less, as even the hottest wool cap is keeping the sun off your head and face and absorbing sweat when it does come. And of course that discounts that they are now making hats with more-breathable materials.

And you know I have disagreed with seemingly everything you've ever posted on this board (cordially so, I'd like to think). Of course I also disagree with your assertion that athletes should be able to wear whatever they want. Football uniforms had sleeves, then they started shrinking, and now they've shrunken to the point that they can barely be pulled over the pads. There was nothing wrong or obstructing with the football sleeves circa 2000, yet even though they weren't "sleeves" then, the manufacturers still pushed on and made them even less existent. Look at a football player from even 2006 versus today. The cut of sleeves and the rest of the jersey was dramatically different, but yet they still wore breathable, barely-there fabric and had their entire biceps showing. And they still had a full range of motion. The sleeves going from cap sleeves to glorified tank tops was about aesthetic choice, just like the rest of the uniform changes. No player plays better because he's wearing solid color socks instead of team issue ones, but they still do it because they like the look.

Likewise, in the early 90's, basketball players decided they wanted to wear long shorts, so that became the trend. It wasn't at all performance enhancing, and nobody tried to even make the claim that it was. It was purely aesthetic. Players altering the uniforms to "perform at their best" would equal them altering the uniforms to look coolest. So no, a line needs to be drawn, particularly at baseball. A player or team shouldn't be able so say "I cut my sleeve off because I figure it'll make me faster. Also, YOLO." There's nothing restricting or cumbersome about baseball current baseball uniforms, and any change would be initiated by a manufacturer for the sole purpose of hyping said manufacturer.

nfl_ap_cowboys_giants1_576.jpg

This is from 2006 and those sleeves are worse than ever

Archived