Cavaliers Unveil New Alternate Uniform for 2014-15 Season

PittsburghSucks

The Wine & Gold Add Navy to Their Uniform Collection
Cavaliers Unveil New Alternate Uniform for 2014-15 Season
141007-uniform-758.jpg?itok=Ce9Kv2om
cavs.com
Posted: Oct 08, 2014

When the Cavaliers step onto the home court to officially start the 2014-15 season, the team will sport a bold new look to launch a new era of basketball in Cleveland.

Suited up in their new navy uniforms with wine and gold letters, numbers and trim, the Cavs will make a fresh on-court debut for their home opener against the New York Knicks on October 30th at 8:00 p.m. The navy uniform will rotate with the existing gold uniform to serve as the official alternates to the team’s home white and wine road uniforms throughout the season.

“With so much excitement and positive momentum going into this season, this special time called for a brand new uniform to match the energy and mojo of the 2014-15 team,” said Tracy Marek, Cavaliers CMO. “Our special thanks to the NBA and adidas for working with us to ensure these unique navy uniforms will be ready for opening night.”

The new navy uniform design reflects the considerable feedback the Cavs have received from fans and the team itself regarding the navy colorway. The jersey will showcase deep wine “CAVS” word marking across the chest, outlined in the team’s bright and bold gold. A distinctive feature will be the positioning of the Cavaliers “DNA” statement “All For One. One For All,” printed upside down on the front left side hem, which will make it a readable inspiration to players. The NBA logo is centered on the back below the neckline above the player’s name. The Cavs secondary logo “C-sword” appears on both sides of the shorts.

VIEW FULL UNIFORM

While the retail supply of the official Rev 30 version of the uniform is expected to become available in late February, fans can “navy up” their Cavs wardrobe now! The Cavaliers Team Shop will feature navy apparel that includes a variety of headwear options and men’s and women’s tee shirt styles. Fans can stop by the Cavs Team Shop at The Q, or shop online at CavaliersTeamShop.com to purchase the latest navy-inspired Cavs gear!

A full history of team colors and logos can be found by clicking here.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I get what they're trying to do with the upside down motto, its so the players see it. But it still looks tacky and horrible.

Also, I don't know of this is an unpopular opinion, but I hate when all three primary colours are used together. It looks garish. The cavs have one of the nicest colour palettes in the league with the wine and gold. No need to ruin it by throwing in blue.

It was only a matter of time before they release a navy uniform, since it is so prominent on the court now. I think the navy is by far the worst uniform they have. It doesn't make any consistent sense. The have a white with wine and gold, a wine with just gold, a gold with just wine, and now a navy with wine and gold? I think it actually takes away from the other 3 uniforms unfortunately.

For those that don't like clicking things:

141007-navy-uniform.jpg

for comparison with the Cavfanatic jersey:

irving.jpg

Of course i love these alternates as the only thing i remember from Lebron's last stay in Cleveland was winning road games in the blue alts.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I'm somewhat shocked the Cavs were able to roll out another alternate jersey and still keep their entire set sleeveless. I know it's public knowledge that LeBron hates the sleeves, but I figured with the Cavs being the hot new team in the league this year, adidas would find a way to force a sleeved jersey on the team.

I think this is the beginning of the end for my favorite NBA look...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I get what they're trying to do with the upside down motto, its so the players see it. But it still looks tacky and horrible.

Also, I don't know of this is an unpopular opinion, but I hate when all three primary colours are used together. It looks garish. The cavs have one of the nicest colour palettes in the league with the wine and gold. No need to ruin it by throwing in blue.

The navy is fine if its used minimally as a tertiary accent, like it appears on the main set. Making it the primary color with equal amounts of gold and wine leaves much to be desired. I also cannot get over how tacky the upside down motto is. All the players really going to be inspired by reading it off their uniforms?

It was bad enough that they started this set off with "Red and yellow are our colors! Not white, but the stupid NBA makes us have a white uniform." From the start, their bland, single-color number road set looked somewhat disjointed from their home set (which also needed an outline). Now, they're red-yellow-white at home, red-yellow on the road, and their new alternate (which will presumably be worn 90% of the time on the road, like the last navy one) is navy-red-yellow. It's disjointed crap before you even get to the awful logos and font. But they will almost certainly have new unis in 2-3 years when they are in the middle of their championship window, and after fans have already bought four new different colored Lebron jerseys.

Also, the NBA needs to stop this "wear whatever you feel like" BS. Teams at home should wear white or light-colored jerseys. Teams on the road should wear road jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It was bad enough that they started this set off with "Red and yellow are our colors! Not white, but the stupid NBA makes us have a white uniform." From the start, their bland, single-color number road set looked somewhat disjointed from their home set (which also needed an outline). Now, they're red-yellow-white at home, red-yellow on the road, and their new alternate (which will presumably be worn 90% of the time on the road, like the last navy one) is navy-red-yellow. It's disjointed crap before you even get to the awful logos and font. But they will almost certainly have new unis in 2-3 years when they are in the middle of their championship window, and after fans have already bought four new different colored Lebron jerseys.

Also, the NBA needs to stop this "wear whatever you feel like" BS. Teams at home should wear white or light-colored jerseys. Teams on the road should wear road jerseys.

Bold: Yes. Christmas jerseys with one color, alts, throwbacks, St. Patty's, "special" alts, and "super special alts..." Do people really buy five jerseys of the same team?

As for the Cavs, I really love their "no white" road look. I think there's room for it in a league that does not do this too much. What I really wish they (and every team) would do though, is not add extra colors to an alt...one color scheme is all a team should have and this blue alt gives the impression of a totally different team. Sadly, I expect it will be worn constantly.

I'd like them to have a yellow alt worn 8 times (10%, a rule I wish every league would have for alts) and their primaries...while it would create some "disjointedness", I like the road primary as is and outline on the home primary. But I am a sucker for "white-free" uniforms

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Whats the issue ? The Cavs actually didn't have a white uniform when they first came into the NBA ( 1969 - 1983 ) and never had a "White" jersey with the wine and gold colorway until the 2003 season with the navy/wine/gold redesign. They have tradition of wearing only wine and gold so i dont see the big issue . The fans love it (including me) and that's all that matters to corporate NBA offices.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I actually wish more teams would go with the no-white Road and no-white alternate look. I think it looks fantastic seeing color on color.

I'm fine with white being the home jersey, but I'm NOT fine with the Lakers getting the special exception when there were other teams (Cavs) who never had a home white jersey when they entered the league.

Archived