NFL Thursday Night Alternates

leopard88

I apologize if this was covered elsewhere. In any event, Dan Graziano of ESPN tweeted the following earlier this week:

Odd agenda item at NFL meetings: Proposal to require Nike-designed alternate uniforms for Thurs night games starting in '16.

Has anyone else heard anything to this effect?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Alternate uniforms? Sure.

Requiring them for Thursday night games (or at all, for that matter)? Stupid.

Nike designing them? GTFO.

That said, $20 says the Bucs get an orange alt jersey within two years.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

It bugs me that this proposal is undermining any rules the NFL has in place for such items (as well as other rules across the league that have been undermined in the past few years). This will ultimately put an end to the NFL's bogus "1 helmet per player" rule. Nike certainly won't want to wait another 5 years before doing another alternate for these teams. Then we have the two pants, two shirts, two alternate game, and such rules. Just thrown out the window with the possibility of this proposal going through.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Interesting take from Uni Watch

Yesterday’s entry about the NFL considering a proposal to make teams wear new Nike-designed alternate uniforms for Thursday-night games prompted a note from a league source, as follows:

Last year I heard rumblings of a league-wide throwback program. The idea was that each team would have a designated throwback in addition to their “normal” alternate jersey (if they had one). I never really heard if the teams were expected to wear them a certain number of times or on certain days. But when I read your entry about the Nike proposal, one thing came to mind: “Throwback Thursday.” Maybe that’s what they’re planning.

If they're going to allow throwbacks in such a way, they should go back to the Thanksgiving throwback thing they did for a few years.

Still, I don't think that's what they're voting on, at least going by the wording of the tweet. If they were voting to allow teams the option of having an additional alternate/throwback jersey which they could only wear on Thursday nights, that would be one thing. But requiring teams to wear alternates would lead to nothing but bad. The key is obviously the Nike-designed part. This would be a marketing initiative for which Nike would pay the league a whole bunch of money, then market the hell out of. It would be Nike going Pro Combat x1000 with outlandishness and pushing new product lines. It wouldn't be about allowing teams another alt to wear, but selling out and forcing teams to wear Nike craziness whether they like it or not. And for some teams it might be throwback-inspired, but it would still be at best like tOSU's crappy fauxbacks with the clown stripes. And if after a team works with Nike and just fails to agree on an alt? Ultimately, tough :censored: for them because they took the extra money and the league requires them to wear what Nike designs.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't hate this. Not sure I see the harm in teams wearing one-off alternates, if that's the plan.

I'm curious (perhaps morbidly) about what Nike would do for the Bears, Packers, et cetera.

Yes there is harm, it makes a mockery of the sport and muddles the team identity, what if a player has a historic game in one of these atrocities? Not to mention with the small NFL schedule, one game makes an impact, a single on and it's already 12.5% of the team's home or road games played.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Interesting take from Uni Watch

Yesterday’s entry about the NFL considering a proposal to make teams wear new Nike-designed alternate uniforms for Thursday-night games prompted a note from a league source, as follows:

Last year I heard rumblings of a league-wide throwback program. The idea was that each team would have a designated throwback in addition to their “normal” alternate jersey (if they had one). I never really heard if the teams were expected to wear them a certain number of times or on certain days. But when I read your entry about the Nike proposal, one thing came to mind: “Throwback Thursday.” Maybe that’s what they’re planning.

That would be kinda cool. I really loved the AFL 50th Anniversary and and NFL 75th Anniversary which allowed teams to get weird. Those Broncos throwbacks were really something.

bSLCtu2.png

It's going to be funny if they aren't getting rid of the 1 helmet rule. You will have crazy Oregon uniforms that will look terrible with a traditional helmet like the Bears or Packers.

Well, the one helmet rule only applies to the shell. The decals and facemasks are fair game. So Nike could still indulge their chubbies for garish design by hanging a giant bear head on only one side of Chicago's helmet, or maybe a liquid chrome highlighter yellow mask on Green Bay's.

It's going to be funny if they aren't getting rid of the 1 helmet rule. You will have crazy Oregon uniforms that will look terrible with a traditional helmet like the Bears or Packers.

Well, the one helmet rule only applies to the shell. The decals and facemasks are fair game. So Nike could still indulge their chubbies for garish design by hanging a giant bear head on only one side of Chicago's helmet, or maybe a liquid chrome highlighter yellow mask on Green Bay's.

Good point.

This could be like the old "Hornets to Charlotte, Jazz to NO, Bobcats to Utah" plan... Jets throwback to the jet helmet, Texans throwback to Oilers, Tennessee uses the Jets' Titans uniforms.

(Not seriously)

Archived