Alternate Super Bowl Fields - Super Bowl LI (Steelers vs Packers)

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XLIII

pw5mpcq.png

This would have been a nice looking field. It would also have been the first Super Bowl featuring two 6 seeded teams, although Baltimore was an 11 win team that season.

The Eagles are able to mount a game tying drive to send the game to overtime at 32 a piece. They take the kickoff and in 4 plays line up for a game winning field goal, and end it in a very anti-climactic fashion. The Ravens, down 16-14 in the fourth find a way to take a 17-16 lead and hold the Steelers on a fourth down, sending Baltimore to their first Super Bowl behind rookie quarterback Joe Flacco.

< Super Bowl XLII First Post Super Bowl XLIV >

Then Baltimore rips the heart out of Philly as they get their tiptoes down in the side of the endzone and score the GW TD with :34 seconds left to give the Ravens the Super Bowl title.

Crab cakes for everyone!

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super Bowl XLIV

GQc1VWL.png

The rematch of Super Bowl XXXIII. At the start of the playoffs it seemed only two teams where in contention for the Super Bowl, the Colts who started 14-0 before benching their starters for the last two games, and the Saints who started 13-0. But the Jets shock everyone when they upset the Colts in the AFC championship behind Mark Sanchez. The Vikings head to New Orleans and keep the game close to the end. With little time remaining, old man Favre rolls to his right and is able to run forward to get the Vikings a chance at a game winning field goal (instead of that pick). The Vikings get the win and old man Favre faces off against the team that employed him the previous season.

< Super Bowl XLIII First Post Super Bowl XLV >

Again, the battle is between a great Vikings offense and a strong Jets defense.

Sanchez leads an opening drive that leads to a 25 yard field goal. The stall in the red zone looks worrisome for the Jets offense, which has been up and down all season long. However, on the next drive, the defense successfully pressures Brett Favre into his old bad habit, throwing an interception under pressure to Darrelle Revis. Shonn Green and Thomas Jones lead a run heavy drive that is capped with a ten yard Thomas Jones TD run. The Vikings' next drive stalls again, but when the Jets take over, Jared Allen strips Mark Sanchez on a sack and the Vikings recover the fumble in Jets territory. Two plays later, Adrien Peterson takes the ball 25 yards for a TD.

In the second quarter, Favre leads a drive that is capped off with another Peterson TD, this time from 2 yards out, giving the Vikings a 14-10 lead, where it remains going into the half. Seven minutes into the 3rd quarter, the Jets start a drive from the ten yard line. Sanchez looks like a veteran as he calmly lead a march down the field with a series of short passes assisted by a seemly unstopable running game. On the 8th play of the drive, Sanchez throws a beautiful 35 yard pass to Dustin Keller, who catches it at the goal line and takes it in, giving the Jets the edge, 17-14. Favre is harrassed and Sydney Rice is shut down on Revis Island for the rest of the quarter, though the Jets are not able to generate much offense either.

In the 4th quarter, a Jets punt pins the Vikings at their own 2. The Jets blitz David Harris, who breaks through the Vikings line and sacks Favre in the end zone for a safety. The Jets' ensuing drive goes nowhere and they are forced to punt the ball back. Favre and Peterson lead a balanced air and ground attack to the 40, when Rice finally breaks free from Revis for one play to bring in a pass that he then carries down to the Jets' ten yard line. But once again, the Jets defense digs in and holds the Vikings to a field goal, making the score 19-17. On the next drive, the Jets manage to get the ball to the 27 yard line before the drive stalls. However, Jay Feely is able to successfully kick a 44 yard field goal.

With about two minutes left and the Jets up 22-17, Favre begins to drive, using all his targets, and making the Jets defense look helpless. Rex calls timeout and the defense regroups with a minute left on the clock and the Vikings on the Jets 40 yard line. The first play after the timeout is an incomplete pass; on the second play, Rex calls a surprise blitz which stuns Favre, who then rolls out to his right. Under pressure, he forces a throw to Sydney Rice. Anticipating the throw, Darrelle Revis jumps in front of the pass, grabs the interception and, before the Vikings can react, Revis is off to the races with nobody near him as he takes the ball 70 yards for the TD. The Vikings desperately try to put together another drive but are out of timeouts. The final play is a 25 yard pass to Bernard Barrian who cannot get the ball out of bounds and is tackled at the Jets 20 yard line. Favre rushes to the line to spike the ball but does not get there in time. The clock runs out and the Jets, led by a rookie coach and rookie QB, pull out a 29-17 victory.

Super Bowl XLV

adWwyr4.png

The NFC championship serves as a turning point in Jay Cutler's career. Instead of moping on the sidelines he gets back in the game and with Chicago down 21-14 in the fourth Cutler drives the Bears 87 yards for a game tying touchdown. In overtime the Bears are able to force a turnover after an unfortunate tipped pass for the Packers. The Bears, who take over at the Packers 44 take one play to score with a deep pass to Johnny Knox for the touchdown.

The AFC championship (I game I was at) starts off with a 24-0 Steelers lead. But a drive and a field goal before the end of the first half shows the Jets have life. The Jets hit a big play with a 45 yard touchdown to Santonio Holmes, and the defense keeps the momentum going as they intercept Ben Roethlisberger at the 10 yard line as the Steelers were going in for score. In the real AFC championship the Jets get stopped after reaching the Pittsburgh two and can’t score in four attempts. In this alternate reality Tomlinson gets the carry on fourth and goal and pushes through for the touchdown. This puts the score at 24-17. So the safety doesn’t happen in this scenario, but the Jets do take the next possession in for a score tying the game at 24. It looks like another overtime game for the conference championships, but the Steelers poor special teams shows up as they let Santonio Holmes take a punt all the way to the Steelers 17 yard line, setting up a game winning field goal and a second straight conference championship win for the Jets.

< Super Bowl XLIV First Post Super Bowl XLVI >

Cutler and the Bears raise the Super Bowl trophy in Jerry's World, capitalizing on a fumble from Shonn Greene in the 2nd half to take the lead for good.

As seems to happen too often with Rex Ryan's Jets, overconfident as defending Super Bowl champions and looking to establish a dynasty, Rex spends more time talking about the Super Bowl as though it's already won and doesn't prepare the team for Sunday. The Bears take an early 6-0 lead, scoring a field goal on the first possession of the game, then another off a Mark Sanchez interception on the Jets' first possession. In the second quarter, Antonio Cromartie picks off a Jay Cutler pass deep in Bears territory and is brought down at the 15. After 3 runs and 1 pass, Tomlinson punches the ball in from a yard out to put the Jets up 7-6. However, for the rest of the half, the Jets manage only 2 first downs and are hamstrung by costly false start and holding penalties. The commentators point out that the Jets barely look like a playoff team, much less a Super Bowl team. At half time, the Jets are leading 6-7. Rex seems upbeat though and comments to the sideline reporter that if they just keep doing what they're doing and win 6-7, he's fine with that.

In the 2nd half, the Jets begin a promising looking drive about five minutes into the 3rd quarter. However, Shonn Green fumbles at the Bears 48. Jay Cutler drives the Bears down the field, where he caps off the drive with a screen pass to Matt Forte, who takes it 15 yards for the touchdown. On the next drive, the Jets go three and out and punt. The normally reliable Steve Wetherford is nearly blocked and, in his haste, punts directly to Devin Hester who does what he does best: Take it to the house. Another Jet 3 and out leads to another Bears field goal. At the start of the fourth quarter, the Jets finally get a somewhat successful drive going; however, it stalls on the Bears 35; Jay Feely kicks a long field goal to put the score at 23-10. Both defenses hold steady leading to traded punts till five minutes left in the game; the Jets block a punt at the 15 yard line; however they go three and out and kick a field goal to bring the score to 23-13. The Bears are forced into a 3 and out on the next drive. After the Bears punt, the Jets manage to finally come alive for a short time, and are able to drive 65 yards and cap off with a 10 yard Sanchez to Holmes TD pass. Cutler, however, takes the wind out of the Jets' sails and leads a successful drive of his own, ending with a 25 yard TD pass to Johnny Knox. The Jets, deflated, are unable to do much else. The last three minutes of the game goe by uneventfully as the Jets turn it over on downs and the Bears run out the clock for a 30-20 win.

Super Bowl XLVI

JKuTk2X.png

The Ravens win the AFC championship with a touchdown catch by Evans late in the game (same as actual game but instead of a dropped touchdown its just a touchdown). In the NFC championship, there is no muffed punt in overtime, and its the 49ers who win the game on a field goal.

< Super Bowl XLV First Post Super Bowl XLVII >

Super Bowl XLVI

JKuTk2X.png

The Ravens win the AFC championship with a touchdown catch by Evans late in the game (same as actual game but instead of a dropped touchdown its just a touchdown). In the NFC championship, there is no muffed punt in overtime, and its the 49ers who win the game on a field goal.

< Super Bowl XLV First Post Super Bowl XLVII >

This field is a beauty!

Super Bowl XLVII

acO59Ok.png

With just over a minute to go the Falcons convert on fourth down to make it 1st and goal at the 49ers 5 yard line. Two plays later Matt Ryan hits Tony Gonzalez for the game winning touchdown. The Patriots, who lost in the last seconds of the previous seasons AFC championship game come out and smoke the Ravens as Tom Brady throws for 4 touchdowns in a 41-24 victory.

< Super Bowl XLVI First Post Super Bowl XLVIII >

Super Bowl XLVIII

pma2B63.png

Not a very exciting field to finish things off. I went with the over sized Patriots wordmark because that's how they did the wordmarks for this game. Like in the actual Super Bowl XLVIII, there is no variation in the red on the field, so the 49ers endzone may seem a bit light. Other than that, we get the same blandness with the rest of the field that we've seen since Super Bowl XLV.

In the AFC championship, the Patriots are able to respond to the Broncos score at the end of the first half, by taking their first possession in for a touchdown, while holding the Broncos. The game stays tight to the end, and it’s the Patriots defense that gets an interception that seals a victory.

In the NFC championship, everything is the same as in our universe until the end. The Richard Sherman deflected pass is not intercepted. Kaepernick then leads the 49ers into the endzone with a touchdown pass to Vernon Davis.

< Super Bowl XLVII First Post Super Bowl XLIX >

Super Bowl XLVIII

d6KoBvT.png

Not a very exciting field to finish things off. I went with the over sized Patriots wordmark because that's how they did the wordmarks for this game. Like in the actual Super Bowl XLVIII, there is no variation in the red on the field, so the 49ers endzone may seem a bit light. Other than that, we get the same blandness with the rest of the field that we've seen since Super Bowl XLV.

In the AFC championship, the Patriots are able to respond to the Broncos score at the end of the first half, by taking their first possession in for a touchdown, while holding the Broncos. The game stays tight to the end, and it’s the Patriots defense that gets an interception that seals a victory.

In the NFC championship, everything is the same as in our universe until the end. The Richard Sherman deflected pass is not intercepted. Kaepernick then leads the 49ers into the endzone with a touchdown pass to Vernon Davis.

Aren't we all glad that NFC Championship game never happened? :smileyusa: Glad my Hawks went.

That field could've been my favorite of all time. Blue-on-red for the 49ers and red-on blue for the Pats.

Hope I'm not detracting from the thread by doing this....

I've been lurking through the whole series and enjoying the "what-if" matchups and everyone's write-up scenarios on the games. I'm big into analyzing stats so I put together my winners in Excel and came out with these Super Bowl W-L records:

2415wn4.png

(don't take my picks too harshly)

Kinda interesting seeing San Fran and Oakland with the most Super Bowl rings. Thanks for doing this!

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

I've been lurking through the whole series and enjoying the "what-if" matchups and everyone's write-up scenarios on the games. I'm big into analyzing stats so I put together my winners in Excel and came out with these Super Bowl W-L records:

2415wn4.png

Kinda interesting seeing San Fran and Oakland with the most Super Bowl rings. Thanks for doing this!

Here's a better idea: go to whatifsports.com and simulate those games.

Super Bowl XLVIII

d6KoBvT.png

Shouldn't the conference logos be on the same side for this one?

iq5b7nF.png

2415wn4.png

This is awesome! I wanted to go through all this myself at some point but I've been too lazy.

Here's a better idea: go to whatifsports.com and simulate those games.

An even better idea, I've been working on my own simulation for quite some time, maybe that's how we should have come up with the results in the first place. Plus I could have got the fields right in the simulation.

Shouldn't the conference logos be on the same side for this one?

I thought really hard on this one. The reason I didn't put the NFC logo on the left side of the 49ers endzone is because I believe for the actual Super Bowl XLVIII they painted the Seahawks endzone using the exact template from CenturyLink field. My thoughts were they painted the wordmark and the Seahawks logo the same way they do in Seattle, then the put the NFC logo where the NFL logo is at CenturyLink.

altNFL_zps87951c37.png

This is my spreadsheet on who won how many super bowls in how many trips. I used the whatifsports.com site to determine this, using the correct teams by year and alternating home/away teams. I didn't take into account anything else. This is the result lol.

I was surprised to see Minnesota win a couple as well as the Rams and maybe the Eagles also. It was no surprise that New England won all their super bowls along with San Francisco winning as many as they did (San Fran matched what they did in real life as well as the Patriots).

The scores that whatifsports.com generated:

• There was one shutout, in Super Bowl XII with Minnesota blanking the Raiders 16-0.
  • There were a few teams that dominated their opponents:
  1. Super Bowl I - Dallas beat Buffalo 42-14
  2. Super Bowl IV - Oakland beat Cleveland 42-7
  3. Super Bowl VIII - Oakland beat Dallas 33-7
  4. SB XV - San Diego beat Dallas 47-23
  5. SB XXXV - Oakland beat Minnesota 48-15
  • There were also quite a few games where the score was decided by 3 points or less.

If anyone's interested in what all 48 different final scores were, pm me and i'll send you the file I have. Also if anyone is curious to the fonts used in the above graphic, yes they are the current or as current as can be fonts each team uses today.

Sportswizard1983_zps7xai8yfc-2.png.d2f11

WVU.png.22664ef4e86d8f821acb84b9014bce7a

JC91utQ.png.70fdf0119fd81850ce7b9dfce1702016 Orioles: 5-0, 1st in AL East

I notice that, for a couple of games, you mixed up the current NFL shield and the older conference logos.

I'm assuming your referring to Super Bowl's XLIII and XLIV. The NFL logo was updated in 2008 and the conference logos were updated the same year as the templated Super Bowl logo's started, and the same year the playoff logos were updated in 2010.

Super Bowl XLIII field

84667447.jpg

Super Bowl XLIV field

96485644.jpg

If it wasn't either of these two, which ones were they?

Archived