infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL week 6

infrared41

Not a lot to talk about this week. One outstanding match up, a couple really good ones, and one above average. Luckily for us, there weren't any match ups bad enough to make the worst list. But one team looked so awful that it can't go without comment. So put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play a lightning round of our game.

Best:

1. Colts at Texans: Normally, playing in a dome under artificial light seems to drain the colors out of a uniform. That's not the case with the Texans. I don't know if they planned it or if it's just blind luck, but the Texans look as good in artificial light as they do in sunlight. Throw in one of the best road looks in the NFL with the Colts and this one was the easy pick for the top spot this week. A lot of blue, but it works.

635484942139230024-456962088.jpg

2: Steelers at Browns: Barring a highly improbable meeting in the playoffs, this is probably the last time for the foreseeable future that we'll get to enjoy this match up of two outstanding football uniforms. Why the Browns brass believes they can improve on this look is an enduring mystery. Why the Steelers stick with that italic number font is another one.

NFL-master675.jpg

3. 49ers at Rams: Despite my love of traditional uniforms, this Rams throwback is not one of my favorites - I prefer their current blue over gold look. But the throwbacks are still a very good look. When you add the 49ers road uniforms to the mix, this one has to make the best list.

628x471-2.jpg

4. Lions at Vikings: I didn't like it at first, but I have to admit that I've become a fan of the Vikings current look. There are still a couple things I'm not crazy about like the number font and the black facemask, but overall it's a good look. The Lions are the Lions - a few tweaks away from looking great.

635487993417412624-GTY-457126734.jpg

Worst:

The Philadelphia Eagles: I get that wearing all white was probably getting a little old, but nothing can justify this...

f346a503-d547-47ce-a56e-0a1f812d31b5.jpg

That's it for this week. Drop by next week for another infuriating/exciting edition.

BB52Big.jpg

How can people still like those awful Steelers uniforms with that atrociously amateurish italics number font and cut off sleeve stripes?

Man number 3 and 4 are a couple tweaks (49ers fixed sleeve stripes, Rams blue helmet and no toilet collar, Lions no black and traditional number font, Vikings normal purple helmet and traditional number font) away from both being absolute gorgeous.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I'm not sure how the Rams is a "traditional" uniform. Other than its just old, the horns are actually a rather modern design element. You disn't see jersey templates that really tied in to the nickname until the '90s / 00s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Unpopular opinion alert: I like and actually prefer the italicized Futura numbers. Aside from the fact that they've had that number font on their helmets since at least the '70s if not earlier (seriously, go back and look--how's that for tradition?), they've also had them on their jerseys since '98, meaning almost an entire generation has grown up with them. To add to that, since so many people love using championships to justify uniform decisions...the Steelers have won two Super Bowls (& appeared in another) with those numbers. The other thing is this: they add just the right amount of modernity to their look--and short of axing all white from their home look, that's about as "modern" as I'd care to see them go, as I shudder to think what Nikefied modernity might turn the Steelers into, if the Rooneys were ever deluded enough to sign off on it.

Speaking of which...for those pining for the Steelers to ditch the Futura numbers, y'all better be careful what you wish for. You really wanna see something like the Jaguars' or *gulp* Buccaneers' number fonts stuck to the Steelers' jerseys? I know I don't. I also don't seem going back to regular block numbers just based on the tenure of the current ones. I've come to accept the block numbers are a relic of the past and should stay there--& if there's ONE city in this country that needs to break free from the perception of living/being stuck in the past, its Pittsburgh. (I lived there for four years and still have strong ties there--trust me, I know.) So again...be careful what you wish for.

(Did I really just waste all those keystrokes defending the Stillahs of all teams? :blink: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'd have less of an issue with the Steelers' number font if it wasn't italicized. A lot of people want to make the connection between the helmet numbers and the current jersey numbers but italicizing them pretty much destroys that. Plus the italicized version of the font is just pretty ugly. Roethlisberger's 7 is especially bad, which sucks when that's the face of the franchise.

Un-italicizing the numbers would improve the look a lot, but not as much as simply returning to a traditional block font. Traditional uniforms look best with traditional fonts... it's not that hard. And if they're so intent on matching the jersey numbers to the helmet numbers, why not switch the ones on the helmet to block?

I'm not sure how the Rams is a "traditional" uniform. Other than its just old, the horns are actually a rather modern design element. You disn't see jersey templates that really tied in to the nickname until the '90s / 00s.

john_hadl_1973_10_01.jpg

The sleeve horns were worn in '73. That's old enough for a QB to wear a dungard mask and number 21

john_hadl_1973_10_01.jpg

The sleeve horns were worn in '73. That's old enough for a QB to wear a dungard mask and number 21

Yes, he acknowledged that it was old. I think his point was that at the time it was debuted it was an extremely forward looking design... a motif incorporated into the sleeve in a way that you didn't really see then. And when most people say "traditional", they mean things like jerseys with standard sleeve stripes and such. Much like the Chargers' 60's uniform with the reoccurring lighting bolt motif, it may be old, but it doesn't really fit the average definition of traditional.

john_hadl_1973_10_01.jpg

That mask has always been my all time favorite. I don't know why, but I just love the looks of it. Probably just nostalgia.

Forgot that this week was likely the last time the Steelers and Browns meet where the Browns uniforms don't look like complete dog :censored:. Depressing.

So when did you see the new Browns uniforms?

Your right, we haven't seen the new Browns uniforms. But the last new design we got was Tampa's, which isn't encouraging, to say the least.

Forgot that this week was likely the last time the Steelers and Browns meet where the Browns uniforms don't look like complete dog :censored:. Depressing.

Your right, we haven't seen the new Browns uniforms. But the last new design we got was Tampa's, which isn't encouraging, to say the least.

Wishful thinking...maybe it will be more like the Dolphins and Vikings rebrands.

john_hadl_1973_10_01.jpg

That mask has always been my all time favorite. I don't know why, but I just love the looks of it. Probably just nostalgia.

jawsfinn215-thumb-225x316-64043.jpg

Jaws!

john_hadl_1973_10_01.jpg

jawsfinn215-thumb-225x316-64043.jpg

Jaws!

I wonder why those old cards never showed any helmet decals. I've got boxes and boxes of them in my basement, and I'll bet over half of them are that way,

I like that Eagles get up.

It stood out really well on the tele against the Giants, ok yes fair enough the uniform and helmet colours did not match properly but i love that dark green.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

The Buccaneers looked even worse on Sunday. Orange socks somehow made that uniform worse. Couple that horrendous pairing with the pink accessories, you have yourself the worst uniform ever worn in the NFL.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

You're right, we haven't seen the new Browns uniforms. But the last new design we got was Tampa's, which isn't encouraging, to say the least.

FTFY

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived