2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

A few thoughts:

- UCLA has absolutely no business being in the field, let alone as safe as they are without having to play in the First Four. They beat Utah and Oregon at home. That's the extent of their resume. They also lost to Oregon State and Colorado, went 2-8 against the RPI top-50 and looked like a high school team the first half of the season. The Committee justified the pick by using the "eye test", but it seems they only tested clips that UCLA provided to them after editing out every game that happened before February 1st.

- Dayton in Dayton? The Committee must have arrived at this by saying: "Well, they don't have a single player over 6'6" on their roster; they must not be very good." Their resume is leagues ahead of UCLA's.

- Maryland could give UK some problems in the Sweet 16. In fact, I think it's pretty dumb that Maryland slid all the way down to a 4 and ended up in UK's region.

- Georgetown a 4? Seriously? I love JTIII and think he's a heck of a coach, but there really isn't any way to put the Hoyas any higher than on the 6 seed line.

- Oklahoma seems far too highly seeded at 4 when you consider their loss total. Yeah, no bad losses, but still a lot of them.

- Likewise, Xavier a 6? I can't comprehend how any team that loses 13 games can get a seed that high, especially paired with bad losses (i.e. Long Beach State). I know Xavier has a good RPI and SoS, but 13 losses is still 13 losses.

- I realize that a lot of folks don't really pay attention to the bottom seeds, but Manhattan deserves better than a First Four 16 seed.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- I realize that a lot of folks don't really pay attention to the bottom seeds, but Manhattan deserves better than a First Four 16 seed.

Based on their non-conference resume, they don't. Only wins are home games against some baaaaad teams.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Filling out my bracket I look at Louisville/UC Irvine and I see a team that can't score from outside playing against a team that dominates teams defensively inside the paint. Harrell and Rozier will have their work cut out for them.

You want bold predictions? You got 'em:

First Round Upsets

-Buffalo over West Virginia

-Valparaiso over Maryland

-Harvard over North Carolina

-BYU over Xavier

-LSU over North Carolina State

-Dayton over Providence

-Stephen F. Austin over Providence

-Eastern Washington over Georgetown

-Davidson over Iowa

Second Round Surprises

-Buffalo into Sweet 16 with win over Valparaiso

-Wichita State over Kansas

-Dayton over Oklahoma

-Michigan State over Virginia

-Stephen F. Austin into Sweet 16 with win over Eastern Washington

-Davidson over Gonzaga

My Elite Eight

-Kentucky (defeated Buffalo)

-Notre Dame (defeated Wichita State)

-Wisconsin (defeated Arkansas)

-Arizona (defeated Baylor)

-Louisville (defeated Villanova)

-Michigan State (defeated BYU)

-Duke (defeated Stephen F. Austin)

-Iowa State (defeated Davidson)

My Final Four

-Notre Dame (defeated Kentucky)

-Wisconsin (defeated Arizona)

-Michigan State (defeated Louisville)

-Iowa State (defeated Duke)

National Championship Prediction

-Wisconsin 74, Iowa State 67

(Obviously, I'd love that)

This would be awesome for the low viewership alone.

As for Wisconsin, I don't see them getting by Arizona (and not necessarily too Arizona). The reason is that they have five players. It worked OK in the Big Ten but now fouls will be called.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You want bold predictions? You got 'em:

First Round Upsets

-Buffalo over West Virginia

-Valparaiso over Maryland

-Harvard over North Carolina

-BYU over Xavier

-LSU over North Carolina State

-Dayton over Providence

-Stephen F. Austin over Providence

-Eastern Washington over Georgetown

-Davidson over Iowa

Second Round Surprises

-Buffalo into Sweet 16 with win over Valparaiso

-Wichita State over Kansas

-Dayton over Oklahoma

-Michigan State over Virginia

-Stephen F. Austin into Sweet 16 with win over Eastern Washington

-Davidson over Gonzaga

My Elite Eight

-Kentucky (defeated Buffalo)

-Notre Dame (defeated Wichita State)

-Wisconsin (defeated Arkansas)

-Arizona (defeated Baylor)

-Louisville (defeated Villanova)

-Michigan State (defeated BYU)

-Duke (defeated Stephen F. Austin)

-Iowa State (defeated Davidson)

My Final Four

-Notre Dame (defeated Kentucky)

-Wisconsin (defeated Arizona)

-Michigan State (defeated Louisville)

-Iowa State (defeated Duke)

National Championship Prediction

-Wisconsin 74, Iowa State 67

(Obviously, I'd love that)

This would be awesome for the low viewership alone.

As for Wisconsin, I don't see them getting by Arizona (and not necessarily too Arizona). The reason is that they have five players. It worked OK in the Big Ten but now fouls will be called.

Also if they do get Arizona, look at where the game is being played. I get there's no way to make everyone happy, but why couldn't Arizona be in the East and have Virginia come over to the West?

Most BS matchup though I think is Providence potentially having to play Dayton in Columbus for their first round matchup. (NCAA can yell and scream second round all they want, that's the first round and the games before are simply play in games.)

As far as the rest of the tournament goes though, its Kentucky's title to lose. I think Wisconsin would give them the best matchup. They can slow the game down and really take Kentucky out of what they like to do. But Kentucky would have to not bother showing up for them or any team to even have a chance. If Wisconsin fell behind at any point in the game by more then five points, the game would be over. No chance Wisconsin comes back on Kentucky running that half court offense.

Experience and play execution only get you so far. End of the day its usually the team with the future NBA players on their roster that wins the day. Just to lose to Kentucky by fewer then 10 points I think would be a moral victory.

John Oliver of "Last Week Tonight" absolutely roasted NCAA and March Madness and I gotta say, it's glorious

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/3/16/8223517/john-oliver-march-madness-destruction-carnage-run-for-your-life-dabo-swinney

Nothing I haven't heard before, but a great job on his part to sum up all the basics of what you need to know in 20 minutes.

I do get a kick out of Dabo Swinney saying that he would quit his job that pays him $3 million a year out of morale objection if college players were to ever get paid. I don't know much about Dabo Swinney, but I know enough to say that statement is complete BS. He might be upset about it, but he like everyone else would learn to adjust and just keep right on trucking.

John Oliver of "Last Week Tonight" absolutely roasted NCAA and March Madness and I gotta say, it's glorious

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/3/16/8223517/john-oliver-march-madness-destruction-carnage-run-for-your-life-dabo-swinney

Nothing I haven't heard before, but a great job on his part to sum up all the basics of what you need to know in 20 minutes.

I do get a kick out of Dabo Swinney saying that he would quit his job that pays him $3 million a year out of morale objection if college players were to ever get paid. I don't know much about Dabo Swinney, but I know enough to say that statement is complete BS. He might be upset about it, but he like everyone else would learn to adjust and just keep right on trucking.

You mean he'd Clemson it?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's too bad Boise St. was drawn a death hand by having to play Dayton in Dayton. Tonight was proof-positive why such situation is considered bull :censored:.

I tend to agree that it's unfair, but a "death hand?" There are more difficult things in sports than beating Dayton at Dayton.

Maybe they should play one day of these games in Dayton and the other in, say, Albany. That way, there'd be a no home game guarantee.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's too bad Boise St. was drawn a death hand by having to play Dayton in Dayton. Tonight was proof-positive why such situation is considered bull :censored:.

I tend to agree that it's unfair, but a "death hand?" There are more difficult things in sports than beating Dayton at Dayton.

Maybe they should play one day of these games in Dayton and the other in, say, Albany. That way, there'd be a no home game guarantee.

Only one city had bid again Dayton to host.

Sioux Falls, SD

You also cause a greater logistical issue in terms of another production truck, plus the NCAA is experiencing issues with travel.

1-There are not only less charter aircraft available in the last three years, but also less commercial seats available on such short notice.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4633145-ncaa-tournament-tourney-2015-travel-tickets-host-cities-charter-plane

2-There are now new FAA pilot rest rules.

Pilots now must have 10 hours of rest between shifts and 30 hours of uninterrupted rest each week, which is a 25 percent increase over previous requirements.

#3 Iowa State falls to #14 UAB!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Dang it Iowa State. I take a huge leap sending them to Indy in my bracket and this is how March responds! :P That's the risk with big gambles, though. You're either the one guy in the world who truly had a "gut feeling" about Butler a few years back and enjoyed some great compensation, or your face down in the bracket floor screaming "FORGET YOU CYCLONES!!!" :P

I'm hoping Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Virginia (my underdog champ!) help me out...

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived