2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nova joins Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Iowa State in the "Teams I'm Never Picking To Win Again" group.

Don't forget Gonzaga.

For example, I had them losing at the Sweet Sixteen, but we all know Iowa will rub 'em hard and dry with no lube because "derpy...derpy...derp...March...time to bend over!"

Not as shocked by Georgetown.

They ran into my opinion the best five seed in the tourney. It wasn't them not showing up or Utah playing above their heads. They just lost to a better basketball team.

Couldn't really argue with their seed though since they finished less then strong. They lost twice to Oregon whose decent, but they should've at worst split, and also fell to a terrible Washington team.

True but were seeing just how strong that conference really was.

Probably not a title contender, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get to the Final Four. Will they? My guess is no, but there's a lot more to like about this team then dislike. The teams that always do the best in March are those that can beat you in the most amount of ways. Utah fits that profile. Half-court and full they present problems.

NC State is a WEIRD team. They play when they want to play.

Beat Duke, beat NC at NC, but lost to Wofford and BC.

The last time we saw them before the tourney, they damn near played their well out of the tourney with an epic no-show against Duke.

Mark Gottfried is that rare coach you can never trust with a high seed (Kent State, UW-Milwaukee), but beware when facing a high seed (Stanford '04, Syracuse, '04, Nova tonight).

Partial list of those who have made the Sweet 16 since Arkansas last did in 1996:

Gonzaga

Cornell

Nevada

Kent State

Florida Gulf Coast

Florida State

Davidson

Butler

VCU

Xavier

Wichita State

Northern Iowa

Bradley

Marquette

George Mason

Tulsa

Ohio University

PvO6ZWJ.png

Partial list of those who have made the Sweet 16 since Arkansas last did in 1996:

Gonzaga

Cornell

Nevada

Kent State

Florida Gulf Coast

Florida State

Davidson

Butler

VCU

Xavier

Wichita State

Northern Iowa

Bradley

Marquette

George Mason

Tulsa

Ohio University
Why I said, "partial".

Hell, Utah, UMass, Mississippi State (same year), Mississippi, BYU illustrate the severe Arkansas decline.

And Mississippi State fired Rick Ray on Saturday.

BREAKING: NOTRE DAME AND MIKE BREY MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST WEEKEND!

This, after losing his mother to a heart attack earlier in the day.

I had Butler in my bracket, but in retrospect, glad Notre Dame got the "W".

6uXNWAo.png

Gonzaga

Cornell

Nevada

Kent State

Florida Gulf Coast

Florida State

Davidson

Butler

VCU

Xavier

Wichita State

Northern Iowa

Bradley

Marquette

George Mason

Tulsa

Ohio University
Why I said, "partial".

Hell, Utah, UMass, Mississippi State (same year), Mississippi, BYU illustrate the severe Arkansas decline.

And Mississippi State fired Rick Ray on Saturday.

I know you said partial, but that OU team was a 13 seed who only missed the Elite 8 because of a missed free throw against UNC. If you're trying to demonstrate unlikely schools that have made it that far since 1996 they demonstrate that as good as anyone. Better than Xavier for sure who's made deep tourny runs a regular occurrence.

PvO6ZWJ.png

For whatever reason, the Wolfpack ALWAYS do worse in March with a higher seed (Lost in a 3-14 matchup in '88, lost to Vandy as a 3 seed in '04). But the lower their seed, the better their showing.

1983's legendary run- 8 seed

Sandwiched last year's St. Louis gagjob with a pair of 8 or lower seed Sweet 16 runs

2005- Took out 2 seed UConn in round of 32

Sooooo.... the ACC is 9-0. If everyone wins tomorrow, I'm pretty sure this is the first time a conference gets 4+ teams in the Sweet 16.

In fact, it would be 6 teams (Most in tournament history). Everyone out there thought that the Big XII was the toughest conference in the nation... well, I beg to differ because the ACC is going lights out here.

How schools perform in a single-elimination tournament is not an accurate gauge of how strong (or weak) a conference is top-to-bottom. The ACC is 9-0, but Louisville is fortunate that the refs decided that knocking a guy to the floor isn't a foul if it happens with less than 5 seconds to go. The PAC-12 is 8-0, but UCLA is fortunate that the refs figured that touching a ball outside of the cylinder is a "goal tend" when the shot clearly isn't going to hit the rim.

A few calls here or there do not undo four months' worth of basketball games.

Georgetown is out, but they were seeded far too high (I personally thought they would be a 6 or 7) to begin with. Also don't forget that the Hoyas weren't picked to do much of anything this season. JTIII outdoes himself during the regular season then becomes a victim of his own success in the Tournament when his team gets seeded too high and inevitably gets "upset".

Kentucky is going to get tested every single game from here on out. Their next game is going to be nasty, regardless of whether they face Maryland or West Virginia.

Dayton: "I'd like to thank the NCAA Selection Committee for giving us one true home game, and two games that might as well be home games." I don't normally root for other A-10 teams, but they're the consummate underdogs. (Yes, I know they made it to the Elite Eight last season, but their roster this season lacks a single player taller than 6'6". How is Archie Miller not getting a national Coach of the Year award?)

Oh look, Xavier's in the Sweet 16 again.

And just when it looked like my bracket had turned around, Virginia becomes my second final four fatality. Making just one out of your first thirteen threes isn't going to get you far in March

Archived