2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

Looks like the Cards are playing their best in the tournament now and I'm still shocked that they're in the Elite 8 (luck's on our side). All they need to do is beat Michigan State and the Cards are in the Final Four again (3 Final Fours in 4 years with a win). B)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer the NBA to go the baseball route (at least, what I believe is still the baseball route): either you can be drafted right out of high school or you go play college ball for three years. I think the NBA is now better equipped to judging ready-for-play talent than they were 10-15 years ago.

I have loved this idea from the first time I heard it. However, I wonder if anything could be done to prevent someone from going overseas to circumvent the NCAA requirement. A player could go to Europe for a year and then be eligible for the NBA draft the following year.

Nope and its already happened. Brandon Jennings went over to Europe rather then play in college. You can also go straight to the D-League and not play in college as well I believe.

The NBA is also fully for this. They want to take as much risk off these draft picks as possible. Playing one year in college gives teams a better read on players then if they had just come out of high school.

Just to be clear I'm not for this requirement either. Its an artificial restraint on trade that should be illegal. As long as you have players like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard and Amar'e Stoudemire as examples to point to, you can not say that playing in college is a necessary requirement for being successful in the NBA.

What I'm saying is there is no question that the NBA and NCAA are in agreement on the issue of the draft age requirement. The NCAA gets to exploit their star athletes for another year and the NBA gets a better scouting report on the players they're drafting in addition to to a free minor league system.

Michigan State is playing that scary kind of basketball that Izzo's teams seem to play every other year or so. I had Louisville losing in this round and I don't see that changing IMO.

I don't know much about Michigan State, but do they have someone that can contain Montrezl Harrell? Because if they don't, he would dunk over them (and pretty much mostly everyone this year). Izzo is a great coach and is not to be underestimated during the tournament but Pitino has some tricks up his sleeve to stop Michigan State (The defense). I expect this to be a great game between two of the best coaches in the game, but the Cards will out-dunk the Spartans and head to the Final Four for the 3rd time in 4 years (72-66)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I think this rules out Alabama as a Gregg Marshall destination. He has said before that he does not want to go to a rebuilding job. Neither Alabama or Texas are rebuilds but Texas is better off than Bama. He also has said he kinda wants to be the big dog on campus which he is right now at WSU. I'll ask people around the city who the mayor is and who Wichita States's coach is and most people only know who the coach is. He will be a bigger dog at Texas than at Alabama. Don't rule out him staying either. Wichita has the money to give him quite a raise.

I think this rules out Alabama as a Gregg Marshall destination. He has said before that he does not want to go to a rebuilding job. Neither Alabama or Texas are rebuilds but Texas is better off than Bama. He also has said he kinda wants to be the big dog on campus which he is right now at WSU. I'll ask people around the city who the mayor is and who Wichita States's coach is and most people only know who the coach is. He will be a bigger dog at Texas than at Alabama. Don't rule out him staying either. Wichita has the money to give him quite a raise.

I think he is done since the Koch Brothers don't care as much as those at either Texas or Alabama do. Red McCombs cares, as does Joe Jamail and so does Mike Myers.

Texas is as college writers still claim as one of the top 5 jobs in America since you have:

National name and a network

A great recruiting base

Unlimited financial resources (they just need to decide where the arena will be built)

No immediate pressure since you're at a football first school.

I see your point. Marshall has also said his kids and wife will have input on this and that he could retire here in Wichita. So i wouldn't rule it out yet. Although i would not be surprised if he went to Texas.

With Texas now open... Ben Franklin has input too.

Irish are wilting now. Starting to take bad shots.

edit: Nevermind

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Irish are wilting now. Starting to take bad shots.

edit: Nevermind

Yeah, there's been a few times where it looks like Kentucky is going to start taking over but Notre Dame keeps getting big baskets.

I'd be feeling awfully nervous if I'm a Wildcat fan. This is where throttling most of your opponents all season could come back to bite you.

edit: This game is awesome! Notre Dame up two late!

IUe6Hvh.png

Kentucky survives, but ND made them earn it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wisconsin in 2 straight Final Fours...not too long ago that idea was preposterous. Sam Dekker is playing his way into the lottery. Can't pick em over Kentucky but they will keep it interesting.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I really hate it for Notre Dame. They played just about the perfect game, and if they made just a few of those free throws near the end, they would have won.

But I've seen this story before. Kentucky is a very good team, but Duke, although I hate them with all my passion, may just be that team, providing they get to the Championship. Duke kills too many dreams, and it's a great plot line for "I Hate Jahlil Okafor".

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived