2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Bulls legally did not have to pay him any salary because his injuries occurred while he was violating his contract by riding a motorcycle" . . Are no players in the 4 big leagues allowed to ride motorcycles ?

I'm sure some can. It depends on whether or not your agent thinks ahead to include verbiage in that regard. Or are more inclined to look the other way if you are at least licensed to drive a motorcycle.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It was clearly off of the Duke player. The ball bends his middle finger down a little as it brushes off of it.

What I keep focusing on during the entirety of the flying ball is the rotation of the ball.

Logic dictates that a spinning ball will have some sort of interrupted or distorted rotation, or a change in direction, if it's touched. To me, I never saw the ball get taken off-course. Of all the angles CBS had (and they had a bevy of cameras there), none showed a clear, definitive touching to overturn the original call. Just like football, there has to be 100% proof, without any hint of doubt, that something did happen. With the amount of time taken to look at the replays and the number of angles they had, the only thing that was definitive was that it wasn't for-sure that the Duke player touched the ball. Duke got lucky in that the original ruling went their way....I don't think the call gets overturned if it went Wisconsin's way originally, either. That's how close it is.

My feeling is that if a ball hits your finger hard enough to bend a finger backward, that it would also be thrown off it's natural course/rotation. That didn't seem to happen. The fact that it's still being discussed on TV and radio shows that it wasn't 100% definitive.

"The Bulls legally did not have to pay him any salary because his injuries occurred while he was violating his contract by riding a motorcycle" . . Are no players in the 4 big leagues allowed to ride motorcycles ?

I think any contract in sports includes a "Don't do stupid stuff" clause, where reckless use of things that can cause bodily harm and impact your ability to fulfill your contract gives the team reason not to pay you because of said actions.

It was clearly off of the Duke player. The ball bends his middle finger down a little as it brushes off of it.

What I keep focusing on during the entirety of the flying ball is the rotation of the ball.

Logic dictates that a spinning ball will have some sort of interrupted or distorted rotation, or a change in direction, if it's touched. To me, I never saw the ball get taken off-course. Of all the angles CBS had (and they had a bevy of cameras there), none showed a clear, definitive touching to overturn the original call. Just like football, there has to be 100% proof, without any hint of doubt, that something did happen. With the amount of time taken to look at the replays and the number of angles they had, the only thing that was definitive was that it wasn't for-sure that the Duke player touched the ball. Duke got lucky in that the original ruling went their way....I don't think the call gets overturned if it went Wisconsin's way originally, either. That's how close it is.

My feeling is that if a ball hits your finger hard enough to bend a finger backward, that it would also be thrown off it's natural course/rotation. That didn't seem to happen. The fact that it's still being discussed on TV and radio shows that it wasn't 100% definitive.

So his finger bends for no reason?

The officials blew it. They also missed Winston stepping on the baseline. Duke scored two points after that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The officials blew it. They also missed Winston stepping on the baseline. Duke scored two points after that.

If his finger bends back, how come the ball doesn't slow/stop spinning at the same pace or change direction? Bending the finger takes a bit of force that surely would cause the ball to change course/rotation.

Anywho, according to the head of officiating speaking on Tim Brando's radio show this morning, apparently the refs weren't given all the angles that we were seeing on CBS.

If his finger bends back, how come the ball doesn't slow/stop spinning at the same pace or change direction? Bending the finger takes a bit of force that surely would cause the ball to change course/rotation.

Anywho, according to the head of officiating speaking on Tim Brando's radio show this morning, apparently the refs weren't given all the angles that we were seeing on CBS.

it doesn't take that much force to move a finger, and a basketball is heavy enough that a finger tip could ben without it altering the balls path much, and there is a difference in the balls spin once the finger touches (not much but there is some)

Well, I can't say I'm too disappointed with the results. I'm not a fan of Wisconsin at all, but I am a fan of underdogs. So I was pleased they beat Kentucky--but I definitely wanted Duke to beat them--it's hard for me not to like Coach K.

I was in a tournament challenge on ESPN with 9 others. Just for fun, no money involved.

I had chosen Baylor, Kentucky, Duke, and Villanova.

My final championship matchup was Duke vs. Baylor.

I chose Duke to beat Baylor 68-63 (final score was the tiebreaker).

I had the champs right, and the score right. Opponent wrong, though.

Thought thought was pretty cool.

Needless to say, I was the only one, of ten that chose Duke, and only one other chose a team other than Kentucky.

I won the Tourney Challenge, after being in dead-last before the final four games were played.

I won because of the tiebreaker.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Surprised more people aren't talking about Winslow stepping on the baseline. That one was DEFINITELY missed. I am quite disappointed that Duke won. I think Wisconsin just has the better players. And Okafor just did absolutely nothing. But oh well, didn't hurt me. My bracket did terrible considering I'm biased towards upsets.

Archived