New BYU Football Uniforms Released

mcan

After reading all of the comments on the new BYU unis, here's the take from an equipment manager:

No Fly - Honestly, there's no need for one. I never saw the purpose of it. When I helped design the uniforms for the Green Bay Blizzard last year, I wanted to have a zipper fly like several teams in the NFL just for accessability. Those of you who played football will understand this. Most times, when using the rest room, they just pull the pants down to where they need to be. So there's your sign.

The Bib Look - The original bib look was outlawed by the NCAA prior to the 2000 season due to thier home unis. The uniform rules are explicitly clear about this. Home unis need to be predominatly dark, most of the time it's going to be the primary solid colour. Road unis HAVE to be white with as little colouring as possible. The colouring xan only be contained within any striping, numbering or lettering. The converse goes for the home unis.

The Multiple Striping - I actually like these unis. Although, I did like the unis that they have been wearing. The striping reminds me a little bit of the "UCLA insert" that some teams like to use. I think that Nike did a great job on these.

These new BYU Uniforms only reemphasize for me why I don't think you can use old-school designs on the new cut of uniforms. I hate them because they try to be retro but can't pull it off. Shoulder stripes looked good back in the day because they actually wrapped around the shoulder to the armpit. THese ones just stop, flat, right in the middle of the chest. I think it looks horrible. Even the colored sleeves don't go all the way around the sleeve. If BYU had been able to get the sleeves all blue or all white and had the shoulder stripes go all the way to the armpits I would probably like these, but as they are now I think they look half-arsed. As long as the new jerseys are form-fitting and don't have real sleeves, the Denver Bronco or NE Patriot look is going to work better than trying to go back to sleeve or shoulder stripes.

Kind of new york jetsesque

I'm sort of thinking Toledo meets the Jets. Go back to the 80's Bosco/McMahon/Detmer look.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. College football is about tradition and the 80's is the closest thing to a tradition BYU football had.

When I helped design the uniforms for the Green Bay Blizzard last year

If you designed those, then you have my envy. If I knew how to get one of those jerseys I'd rock it in a second.

Here's to hoping you're around if/when the AFL returns to Milwaukee.

These new BYU Uniforms only reemphasize for me why I don't think you can use old-school designs on the new cut of uniforms.  I hate them because they try to be retro but can't pull it off.  Shoulder stripes looked good back in the day because they actually wrapped around the shoulder to the armpit.  THese ones just stop, flat, right in the middle of the chest.  I think it looks horrible.  Even the colored sleeves don't go all the way around the sleeve.  If BYU had been able to get the sleeves all blue or all white and had the shoulder stripes go all the way to the armpits I would probably like these, but as they are now I think they look half-arsed.  As long as the new jerseys are form-fitting and don't have real sleeves, the Denver Bronco or NE Patriot look is going to work better than trying to go back to sleeve or shoulder stripes.

I totally agree, it doesnt seem like it would be that hard to make the shoulder stripes go all the way around, such as the carolina panthers do, but for teams like the jets and colts where it doesnt wrap around it just looks dumb, I dont like them now that you reminded me of how much I hate when teams do that.

Archived