It bugs me when people criticize the Sabres for tanking, because they've come at it "honestly". They have basically just done what everyone wants their out-of-playoffs teams to do. They've traded away upcoming UFAs for future returns. They haven't taken on any ridiculous contracts just to get to the cap floor. They have still brought in NHL players via free agency and trade. Amusingly, my biggest concern going into the season was that they improved themselves too much to get the #1 overall pick. The closest they've come to straight tank is trading for a player (Kane) who will be hurt the rest of the season, but they think he'll be a star and you can't always get those players and blah blah blah. I still worry that they gave up too much, but they have/had a ton of prospects with a bunch of draft picks coming up; they can't all make the roster, so it makes sense to trade quantity for quality. Just for the sake of argument, I'm assuming Evander Kane will be the "quality".

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It bugs me when people criticize the Sabres for tanking, because they've come at it "honestly". They have basically just done what everyone wants their out-of-playoffs teams to do. They've traded away upcoming UFAs for future returns. They haven't taken on any ridiculous contracts just to get to the cap floor. They have still brought in NHL players via free agency and trade. Amusingly, my biggest concern going into the season was that they improved themselves too much to get the #1 overall pick. The closest they've come to straight tank is trading for a player (Kane) who will be hurt the rest of the season, but they think he'll be a star and you can't always get those players and blah blah blah. I still worry that they gave up too much, but they have/had a ton of prospects with a bunch of draft picks coming up; they can't all make the roster, so it makes sense to trade quantity for quality. Just for the sake of argument, I'm assuming Evander Kane will be the "quality".

honestly i lost my intrest when time warner didn't put their games on. then the next year with the lockout. evander kane, and (hopefully) mcdavid might bring my attention back to the sabres, and hockey. it was pretty funny. i looked at the standings and saw nashville at #1. i was shocked because they used to suck.

Buffalo fan here. As long as we finish 30th I'll be happy with our McEichel draft.

And finishing 30th is looking really good. Even if we went the rest of the season with 7 wins...which is very generous with how we've been playing..the Oilers will need to have only 3 wins to take last. I'm liking our chances at 30th

Also...first try Sabres for me. Fingers crossed.

Also, any hockey fan can't be mad at the idea of tanking. Even if Tim Murray and the Sabres organization came out and said it I wouldn't mind. It's the smart thing to do in the NHL. You need a superstar, and you rarely if ever get those by just trading or FA. In the NHL it seems you need that #1 or high pick to get things rolling.

Does it suck being a fan having to deal with it? Sure, but it's the smart move from where the team was in 2012.

They're called games out-of-hand on this thread. They're already out of your control and your team can't accidentally get a point. They're out of your hands.

At least, it's a thing I tried to start.

HA! Buffalo trades Neuvirth to Long Island for Chad Johnson.

The only way Buffalo could tank even harder is if they traded for the football Chad Johnson.

Also, mark it down: March 26 - Coyotes @ Sabres, March 30 - Sabres @ Coyotes. MUST. SEE. TV.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Also, mark it down: March 26 - Coyotes @ Sabres, March 30 - Sabres @ Coyotes. MUST. SEE. TV.

I bet one of them is going to be on NBCSN, too. Buffalo watches!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived