Recommended Posts

God, I hope he doesn't waste the first years of his career in Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, I hope he doesn't waste the first years of his career in Florida.

I'd rather he go to Edmonton [or to Ottawa, if we could do that without losing] since the rest of the bottom 5 right now are where prospects go to die.

Although I'd hate to see him toiling around the bottom of the standings for the first years of his career either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buffalo has a lot of talent waiting in the wings; plus, I'm hoping and expecting another last place finish this year, to guarantee McDavid or Eichel. It's hard to be too excited, though, when the team with the best shot has only a 20% chance of getting the number one pick. Buffalo would be a great place for McDavid... I think the Sabres are ready to come out of the basement next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you saying that Edmonton ISN'T where prospects go to die, Torin? Because I get the opposite sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you saying that Edmonton ISN'T where prospects go to die, Torin? Because I get the opposite sense.

A quick look at the stats show me that a couple of them are doing all right, plus you have a couple prospects still that people haven't given up on. There's just some voodoo magic tying the team to the bottom of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not voodoo. It's stocking up on offense and ignoring their defense for a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, I hope he doesn't waste the first years of his career in Florida.

I'd rather he go to Edmonton [or to Ottawa, if we could do that without losing] since the rest of the bottom 5 right now are where prospects go to die.

Although I'd hate to see him toiling around the bottom of the standings for the first years of his career either.

I think that's pretty much an inevitability. With the way the draft lottery is set up he's going to a bad team. And McDavid is clearly a can't miss prospect. Wherever he ends up he'll turn into a superstar, even if they have a poor track record with prospects, and even if he doesn't turn the team around right away. Crosby and Ovechkin both topped 100 points in their rookie seasons but weren't able to keep their respective teams out of the next lottery.

Call me crazy, but Florida would not be the worst place for him to end up at all. You add McDavid to a group that includes Huberdeau, Barkov, and Ekblad, and you've got a pretty solid core of young players. Luongo has probably still got five good years left, which leaves Dale Talon plenty of time to find the goalie of the future. I think that Carolina, Buffalo, and Edmonton (he can't keep pucks out of his own net) would all be worse situations to be thrown into. Although managing to get McDavid might be enough to convince the Oilers to finally trade some of their young forwards to improve their d/goaltending (but probably not).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, I hope he doesn't waste the first years of his career in Florida.

I'd rather he go to Edmonton [or to Ottawa, if we could do that without losing] since the rest of the bottom 5 right now are where prospects go to die.

Although I'd hate to see him toiling around the bottom of the standings for the first years of his career either.

I think that's pretty much an inevitability. With the way the draft lottery is set up he's going to a bad team.

That's sort of true, but also wrong at the same time. It wasn't that long ago that only something like the bottom five teams had a chance at the #1 pick; now every team that misses the playoffs has a chance. Furthermore, the odds have been flattened out going forward more than they've ever been. The worst team only has a 20% chance of getting the #1 pick, down from 25% last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a Sabres fan I'd be pissed about this new way to allocate the #1 pick. For me knowing that there was a John Tavares at the end of watching a brutal season of hockey at least kept me somewhat interested in the season. I don't know if I'd be as interested knowing that being the worst wasn't a lock to get the top pick.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is that Buffalo only gets their own lottery pick and that the first-rounder they got from us doesn't also turn into one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pissed, but I'm just hoping it will work out. It helps that there's Jack Eichel out there, too. The #1 pick has gone to the second worst team for the last two years, at least, so it hasn't been a sure thing for a while. Last year, it worked out, because I don't think the Sabres would have taken Ekblad even if they had the #1 pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Call me crazy, but Florida would not be the worst place for him to end up at all. You add McDavid to a group that includes Huberdeau, Barkov, and Ekblad, and you've got a pretty solid core of young players. Luongo has probably still got five good years left, which leaves Dale Talon plenty of time to find the goalie of the future. I think that Carolina, Buffalo, and Edmonton (he can't keep pucks out of his own net) would all be worse situations to be thrown into. Although managing to get McDavid might be enough to convince the Oilers to finally trade some of their young forwards to improve their d/goaltending (but probably not).

...if the team is still in Florida, 5 years from now.

But even with a core of young talented players on the rise, it doesn't pump you up when only a few hundred people show up for games. I believe it does affect play at a certain level. And if they do draft McDavid....I don't even think most of their fans even know who Connor McDavid is...

As for Edmonton, imagine a Hall/McDavid/Yakupov first line. But if they want to get anywhere, they'll have to trade one of their valuable offensive players for a top defenceman. I don't know if Ben Scrivens can put up the numbers on a consistent basis in net, or if he'd be better if he had better D's to cover him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11,400 people in Buffalo last night for The Connor McDavid Show. Really fun time. Now it's going to be extra depressing when he goes to Edmonton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I wish Anaheim tanked the rest of the season to get McDavid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd like to see McDavid to Toronto and Eichel to Buffalo. The Leafs have not had a genuine superstar in a long time, and no, Retarded Public Masturbator Phil Kessel is not a genuine superstar. After years of watching the Leafs eschew Ontario talent, it would be cool for them to get a local guy that no one could say no to. As for Eichel, he's the best American in a long time, and Buffalo is one of the best American hockey towns, so that would work too. So if Buffalo finishes last and Toronto wins the lottery, that would be perfect. No more Florida, NO MORE EDMONTON.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I accept your proposal. The only problem is that we'll have a whole generation of "rigged draft" rumors/complaining that I'd rather not have. When the Sabres finish last, they'll have a 20% chance at McDavid and an 80% chance of getting Eichel. Might as well be the Leafs... probably won't be the Sabres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the NBA has taught us anything, it's that any outcome can be explained as having been rigged. And come on: who's actually going to accuse Count of rigging a draft for a Canadian team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got me there. They still are the most valuable team in the league, though, and even Bettman should be able to see the benefits there.

The lottery odds are pretty flat now. I haven't looked in a little while, but I think the 6-8 range really picked up a lot of the draft balls(or computerized random number generator digits) that the worst teams lost. There's going to be a team down there eventually that gets the #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got me there. They still are the most valuable team in the league, though, and even Bettman should be able to see the benefits there.

The lottery odds are pretty flat now. I haven't looked in a little while, but I think the 6-8 range really picked up a lot of the draft balls(or computerized random number generator digits) that the worst teams lost. There's going to be a team down there eventually that gets the #1.

The 12-14 range got a small boost as well, doubled their odds in total. Statistically if we keep the format for the next 20 years, a team that nearly made the playoffs could win the first overall pick. What a slap to Buffalo that would be if it happened this year.

"Yeah, we know your "rebuilding", but we're going to give McDavid to Vancouver instead, kay?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yeah, we know your "rebuilding", but we're going to give McDavid to Vancouver instead, kay?"

That would actually be interesting karma, since in 1970, the Sabres drafted Gilbert Perreault #1 due to a spin of a draft wheel. The Canucks went second and picked... Dale Tallon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.