It's so hard to be bad in the NHL. It's like trying to hold a life jacket underwater. You let up just a little and it pops right back up. I hope the Sabres can get McDavid, but they may have made themselves too good with Gionta and Moulson. (What a sentence.)

This was my fear going into the season: a triumphant march to 12th place in the conference... far from the playoffs and far from the #1 pick at the same time. They actually made a lot of small moves to improve themselves... Benoit, Moulson, Gionta, Gorges, Meszaros and some young talent has gotten better. Not that they've all worked out that great, but they haven't quite tried to flat-out tank like everyone assumes. Ugh. And now they're actually winning games.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And man, are the Habs the biggest paper tiger or what? Every other game, they're either losing big or losing to a team that sucks. Where are they getting these points? Out in the first round.

That fluke bounce off the boards onto a Sabres stick into an empty net. Habs could have taken the first game in OT. At least they got a point the day after.

And man, are the Habs the biggest paper tiger or what? Every other game, they're either losing big or losing to a team that sucks. Where are they getting these points? Out in the first round.

That fluke bounce off the boards onto a Sabres stick into an empty net. Habs could have taken the first game in OT. At least they got a point the day after.

They've scored 65 and allowed 65. By rights, they should have ten fewer points than they do. This team isn't that good.

Conversely, the Hawks should probably have about six more points than they actually do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

EDMONTON IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE THIS BAD. THEY'VE HAD THE #1 OVERALL PICK FOR 12 YEARS RUNNING.

This is ridiculous. 10 straight losses is unacceptable.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

If karmic justice is real then here's what should happen: Edmonton finishes last, Columbus finishes second last, Columbus wins draft lottery*

*though losing the draft lottery in 2011 and Edmonton taking Yakupov instead of Ryan Murray was probably a blessing in disguise and Howson probably would've taken Murray had the CBJ gotten the #1 pick. Still though, that was our pick.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Florida finished last in the lockout season; they picked second that year. They finished second the year after, but picked first overall. The Sabres finished last last year, but picked second. Obviously this means they will finish second, but win the lottery this year? Go with me, guys... I need something to hold on to. I'm watching McDavid go to Carolina and Eichel go to Edmonton.

If McDavid wound up in Philadelphia, that'd be pretty neat, too. They bottomed out in '07 for Patrick Kane, lost the lottery, and wound up with James van Riemsdyk, whom they traded for Luke Schenn, and okay you know what, no, it wouldn't be neat if McDavid wound up in Philadelphia after all. You gained and lost my pity before I even finished my sentence.

Oh no, look at Calgary sitting right next to the Avs. They're going to unravel like a cheap sweater, aren't they.

Blackhawks-Islanders Final would be much fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina and Edmonton both still comfortably sit with single digits in the wins column... any chance either of these teams figures out which way is up? I can handle the Sabres finishing second; third would be a big blow (and it would blow).

The Hurricanes could conceivably return to their just-below-average ways when Jordan Staal comes back, but hahaha no wait Jordan Staal isn't very good, never mind. Man, this blows. Buffalo should fire Ted Nolan so they can go back to losing all the time.

Carolina has been as bad or worse than the Sabres or Oilers this year and in previous years, but no one has paid nearly as much attention to them. You gotta love the soft bigotry of low expectations here. "THEY'RE TANKING FOR MCDAVID, TAKE AWAY THEIR DRAFT PICK FOR TRYING TO TANK," said no one about the southern team.

Oh no, look at Calgary sitting right next to the Avs. They're going to unravel like a cheap sweater, aren't they.

so hey guess what

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. That being said, note that the Flames have a wealth of cap space, so if Lord Truculent decides he wants to stall the rebuild, make the playoffs, and preserve the Norris for Giordano, they can pretty much go ahead and do all that. And they're the notoriously patience-averse Brian Burke and Calgary Flames, so they will go ahead and do all that.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. That being said, note that the Flames have a wealth of cap space, so if Lord Truculent decides he wants to stall the rebuild, make the playoffs, and preserve the Norris for Giordano, they can pretty much go ahead and do all that. And they're the notoriously patience-averse Brian Burke and Calgary Flames, so they will go ahead and do all that.

I hope not--and hey-we all knew they would hit a rough spot or two along the way.

Let's see how they respond.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived