School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TVIXX, I will work on a full body logo, but I want to get this one done first.

I've noticed that as you rotate the angle of the logo, it starts to take the shape of the outline of Missouri. Maybe that's an idea you can play around with?

Since I teach at a school in Alabama, it probably won't be a direction I will follow. But thanks for the interest.

I would curve the neck down a whole lot more instead of coming to a sharp point.

I may have to come back to this idea, but for now I am going to go with different points. I'm trying to get a dimension of movement and fierceness to the ram that has been lacking.

ScreenShot2014-10-31at91340AM.png

Is the new neck and points working? If not, is the problem with the idea or the execution?

Do you have suggestions about how to make the face look more aggressive without overdoing it? Is the eye looking somewhat lazy to anyone else, or is it just me?

I also adjusted the head/neck join spot and the horn detail. A sharper point on the horn is still coming.

award%20sig.png

Yeah what's up with all the spikes coming off the neck?

I was trying to show movement. I got the idea from Fairfield University's logo.

Here are a few more options. I went with a more classic curve, which probably works better with the curves of the head.

ScreenShot2014-11-01at94512AM.png

This version includes part of the ram's shoulder:

ScreenShot2014-11-01at94536AM.png

I also decided to also try a jagged edge one. I'm not really loving it, but here it is anyhow:

ScreenShot2014-11-01at94437AM.png

Please let me know what you prefer. Does the addition of the shoulder help the logo or not? Does the curve or a jagged edge work better (even if I haven't nailed the idea on this attempt)?

On all of these logos there are some slight issues with the outline. I would clean that up for a final version, but didn't for these screen shots.

I will still work on the eye and the horn. If you have any good suggestions on these or other areas, please let me know.

award%20sig.png

Since I teach at a school in Alabama, it probably won't be a direction I will follow. But thanks for the interest.

Sorry, David. I could've sworn I remember you saying you lived in Missouri. I must have assumed incorrectly because you're a Royals fan.

I like the second head design because it conveys more movement. It's not as angular-looking as the other two.

Here's a suggestion to consider: How about adding stitching and making the horn of the ram into a baseball? Here's a very crappy mock-up of what I mean:

ram_zpsacfc4549.png

Granted this is really rough. Now that I look at it again, the stitching would probably look better with either the navy or medium blue color of the rest of the logo.

I got some feedback from the school, and I think we are going to go with the shoulder/neck. I have updated the horn and the eye. It still seems as if there is something a bit off about the eye, but I can't place what it is.

ScreenShot2014-11-07at101513AM.png

If you have any suggestions or comments, please let me know. I still really want feedback. (If you have any good ideas of what to do with the ear, that is my biggest concern at this point.)

award%20sig.png

Latest update looks good.

As for the eye, have it so it is looking forward. There should be some space between the pupil and the left (or bottom) of the eye and maybe only half of the pupil visible.

I don't know if that makes sense how I said it, but basically this pic is what I'm trying to explain.

qfd4zhl3cjz0tbtpg9tbiy6fm.gif

Hi David,

I agree that you really made some great progress. You now are close to the correct anatomics.

In my opinion there are still some things to fix as I think that you would like to get an intimidating feel to it and that's missing so far. Right now it still looks a bit like it's just lying around.

I think you have three things to work on:

1. The eyes - the Ram is facing an opponent. So first of all you need an evil eye like the eagle has (which Sean posted). Plus - for the pupil: it should really be facing the opponent so keep that in mind with the evil eye.

2. The neckline + shoulder: The neckline is too straight right now and for suggesting a more muscular Ram it won't be the shoulder but some kind of a hump that the neckline should be rising up to. That way you will probably get more tension into the whole logo and get rid of the sleepy effect.

3. The snout: To add to the evil eye the snout could show some angry looking teeth like the Sarnia Sting bee for example.

With the horns there could still be some cleanup done but I believe that at first you should get to the right expression that you have in mind.

Hope that I could help a bit and that I assumed correct about your intention.

All the best wishes

Daniel

Your latest version is coming along nicely, not sure how I feel about the gray horn & that blue stroke you have in between the two horns though. I would probably try making the gray area blue to flow better with the rest of the design. The white horn should still give you the separation your looking for & allow you to have the white outline around the whole logo instead of it ending at the forehead. Just an idea that may or may not work but I would definitely try myself.

Thanks to all for the comments. It's really helping me out. I worked on the ear, eye, and mouth. Someone else who gave me feedback suggested I go with a thin navy outline inside the light blue stroke. If I do go with the double blue outlines, should I thicken the light blue back to the same weight it was before?

ScreenShot2014-11-10at25143PM.png

What do you think of the changes? Should they be tweaked?

I also want to make sure it looks good as a one-color logo. Here is what I currently have:

ScreenShot2014-11-10at25812PM.png

Daniel, you mentioned that the straight part of the neck before the hump should be changed. The straight line doesn't look quite right to me either, but I can't figure out what to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with that line?

Scorcho, I am trying to keep from rotating the logo because I do want to work on a full-body logo that will extend from this logo. That being said, I will work on getting this logo looking the best it can before I worry too much about the full-body logo. But I will keep the rotation the way it is for now.

Ren, I didn't see your comment until after I had this update. I will try working on the horn this evening. Someone else suggested getting rid of the back horn and fattening up the front horn some. Is this a good idea? I will admit that I'm not sure what direction I should go with the horn (it and the top of the neck are giving me the most questions right now).

(Here is the reference picture again if it helps with feedback.)

award%20sig.png

Archived