School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am taking a break from the logo I have been working on. I will start working on an alternate logo soon, but I wanted to work on a Rams wordmark first. I wanted to use a horn on the R even though the St. Louis Rams do it too. It seems like a fairly obvious thing to do, so in my mind it isn't a major issue that another team uses it. (I also had the idea before I remembered that St. Louis uses the same idea for their wordmark, but it could have been in my subconscious.)

ScreenShot2014-11-20at90448AM.png

ScreenShot2014-11-20at90529AM.png

Do I need to work on the horn shape/curve? Also should I add the horn detail I have on my logo?

award%20sig.png

I'm really thinking this needs to be rotated at least 45 degrees counterclockwise, if not a little more. I know what you're trying to go for, but I just don't like the way it's looking vertically straight at the ground. Personally it gives the logo a dejected feeling. I realize that you're trying to have the ram head-down and ready to charge, but this is just my view on it. Otherwise you have come a long way from post 1. I like the colors now.

I'm not sure what your school colors are, the original logo is in black. Any chance you could differentiate from the St. Louis Rams with a color change?

I'm really thinking this needs to be rotated at least 45 degrees counterclockwise, if not a little more. I know what you're trying to go for, but I just don't like the way it's looking vertically straight at the ground. Personally it gives the logo a dejected feeling. I realize that you're trying to have the ram head-down and ready to charge, but this is just my view on it. Otherwise you have come a long way from post 1. I like the colors now.

I'm not sure what your school colors are, the original logo is in black. Any chance you could differentiate from the St. Louis Rams with a color change?

yeah I would agree on the angle of the Ram as well just does not work IMO

Here is a version with a less extreme head angle. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-11-21at103609AM.png

I do want to eventually add an alternate where I will add a body. I very quickly and roughly traced out a body to help see if the less extreme angle would work on a full body. Here is the new angle:

ScreenShot2014-11-21at105225AM.png

Here is the old angle:

ScreenShot2014-11-21at105637AM.png

What do you think?

award%20sig.png

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to work on a front facing ram next, and I want to try to take my current version of the ram turned 90 degrees. Do any of you who are much more accomplished artists have any good tips or advice about how to do that? I have drawn thin lines across the logo at key points like the top of the horn, the eye, etc. to help, but I'm not quite sure how some of the other points (like the brow above the eye) would translate when rotated 90 degrees.

award%20sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a few things done with the front facing ram over my break. I wanted to get some feedback before I do too much more with it. They are still quite rough--it is especially noticeable when I added the strokes. I want to settle on a horn design, then I will add some more detail in to the horns and fix some other issues like how the ear connects to the head. Here is the most realistic horn:

ScreenShot2014-12-30at100956PM.png

I also tried a version with the point of the curve turned in:

ScreenShot2014-12-30at101017PM.png

I prefer the top version, but what do you think? I would add more detail that would help the bottom of the horn look like it curves up more naturally (like I did in the top photo).

The ram is supposed to be the same ram as the other logo. Here they are side-by-side:
ScreenShot2014-12-30at101652PM.pngScreenShot2014-12-30at101735PM.png
The front-facing ram is holding his head at a different angle, so not everything will line up, but are there other things I should do to make the logos look more unified? (I will add horn definition later.) I'm not against tweaking the side logo.
Although I am most concerned with settling on a horn shape, if you have any suggestions on non-horn related issues, please let me know.

award%20sig.png

I like the curved in one better, but you have to clean it up a bit. First, I would try to make the mouth less of a triangle. Second i would fill in the little gaps between the horns and the ears (***note***- even though it may make the outline a tiny bit uneven, it will look better that way) Third, I would clean up that weird jagged line at the bottom of the horn. Also maybe adding those lines to the horn, maybe even just a bit to show that they are the same horn.

Hope my suggestions are useful! I looked back through this whole thread and you have really progressed. I don't think that, at this point, you could end up with something that you shouldn't be proud of.

tinysig.jpg

I like the curved in one better, but you have to clean it up a bit. First, I would try to make the mouth less of a triangle. Second i would fill in the little gaps between the horns and the ears (***note***- even though it may make the outline a tiny bit uneven, it will look better that way) Third, I would clean up that weird jagged line at the bottom of the horn. Also maybe adding those lines to the horn, maybe even just a bit to show that they are the same horn.

Hope my suggestions are useful! I looked back through this whole thread and you have really progressed. I don't think that, at this point, you could end up with something that you shouldn't be proud of.

Thanks for the feedback. As you noticed, there are areas that need to be cleaned up. I decided to get the work-in-progress logos out for some feedback before I continue. I will add some lines to the horn to more closely match the other logo.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, when I look back at some of my first attempts, it makes me really glad for the feedback I have gotten that have really helped me improve both the logo and my design skills.

I would love some more feedback. Which horn design looks best? Are there other areas that I should fix?

award%20sig.png

My feedback is mostly above, but when I googled "front facing ram" i saw that yes, naturally they go out. From a logo perspective, I like the curving in.

Also maybe make the face thinner and the horn bigger so it looks like he is charging horn-first

tinysig.jpg

I think you need to curve where the vertical stripe of white meets the white of the horn, I also think the outside of the white of the horn needs to follow one line, rather than having such a sharp angle. I would also try having the white stroke going up the sides of face come to a point

Ok. Here is an update. It is still rough, but I want to get another draft out before spend too much time cleaning it up.

ScreenShot2015-01-05at83735PM.png

ScreenShot2015-01-05at85639PM.png

Which horn do you think is better? The top one is more anatomically correct, but I'm not sure that it makes a better logo. Once I settle on a horn design, I will refine it and add in more lines to match the other logo.

I thinned down the face a bit and made the horns match the face width a bit better. I also narrowed the center snout stripe to try to cut down on the amount of white. I still think there might be too much white, though. I am trying to match line widths with the other logo, but I'm wondering if I should make them smaller.

Ilfhockey, I was confused by your comment, but I do recognize that the eye is too flat on the face. I tried making the eye contour more to the face instead of sitting flat on it. My attempt is on the left side. It isn't very good, but I think there is a problem with the eye on the right too. Do you have any good suggestions for the eye(s)?
I also curved the white brow (from which the horn comes) on the left side, but forgot to copy it over to the right side. Thanks for that idea, lancealot.

award%20sig.png

I like the concept. I'm not sure how to modify your design, but my eyes see a 2D ram head (no depth like CSU's logo) with a set of 3D horns (depth and texture like Fordham's logo). If you could somehow modify the design to give depth to the face you would have something great. Sorry I don't have a fix, but I hope my 2D/3D perspective makes sense.

Also, I like the outward turning horns best.

Archived