School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

The face looks too flat, maybe add an angle or shadow to it...

its the eyes. they need to be tilted more. like i said they have a different visoin from humans

if i could ask to copy this and show you what i mean?

Ya that is true, if he does tilt them they would look more realistic, but I'm also not liking how big the face is even after a tilt to the eyes the face won't look 3d like, so I'm guessing the easiest way, currently, is to create a one sided shadow. But, ya that is true the eyes should be tilted, good catch.

77QSUj8.pngqCeHhp1.png?1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the Grizzlies or T Wolves logo for examples of a forward facing animals and how they are colored.

5968194_G.gif

rviy7fbgmhz5ht2dpgo6q0jfu.gif

Exactly what I was trying to say, and also you can see on the grizzly how the middle dark line turns into a cone/sharp end, he needs that to make it more look angular and defined/3D like!

77QSUj8.pngqCeHhp1.png?1

Thanks for the feedback. I did read it, but I was working on another project at the time. I had yesterday off, so I spent some time on the front-facing logo.

You are right. Thanks for posting the T-Wolves and Grizzlies logos too. I didn't go extra shading or different colored faces, but I might have to end up doing that. I tapered the nose stripe to try to gain some perspective. I want to stay away from shading because I need it to look good in one and two-color operations. We will probably have to print t-shirts in one and two colors most of the time. I also want it to match my other logo as much as possible. I think it would be odd to have a two-toned face for one logo but no shading on the other.

its the eyes. they need to be tilted more. like i said they have a different visoin from humans
if i could ask to copy this and show you what i mean?

I have tried working on the eyes, but I'm not sure if they are right yet. Any suggestions?

Also, is there too much white on the horns?

ScreenShot2015-01-19at111856PM.png

award%20sig.png

I toned down the amount of white on the horns.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-24%20at%203.17.1

Someone suggested that I make the white on the muzzle more rounded as a way to better show perspective on the face. What do you think?

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-24%20at%203.14.5

I can't quite decide whether or not I like it. I like the straight lines of the top one, but I think the bottom logo does have a bit better perspective.

I didn't do anything with the eye. Should I? Also, is there anything else that needs some work?

award%20sig.png

Someone suggested that I make the white on the muzzle more rounded as a way to better show perspective on the face. What do you think?

I can't quite decide whether or not I like it. I like the straight lines of the top one, but I think the bottom logo does have a bit better perspective.

I didn't do anything with the eye. Should I? Also, is there anything else that needs some work?

I like the bottom one. I think you need a lot of touch-up on the face. first, the bottom lip should be less of a angular shape and more flowey. (if you know what i mean). I would also get rid of that little white hash-mark at the top. I know it makes sense, but it makes the top a little cluttered, with all the outlines and horns. I also think that the eyes need work. I don't know how to fix this, and I'm sure it gives you a headache thinking of ways to fix it. Also, if this is the same ram, he should be charging as well, and if a ram were to actually charge at you, you would see no face, just horn; you can fix this by making the face smaller, horn bigger (I know I am repeating, but i think it's true). The face also looks too human. He looks like a bored person, with that mouth. Try to make it more angry, and maybe even just eliminate the mouth (see charging ram, no face seen...)

I hope you take this advice not as hard criticism, but friendly advice. Don't get me wrong, I love the progression.

tinysig.jpg

I like the bottom one. I think you need a lot of touch-up on the face. first, the bottom lip should be less of a angular shape and more flowey. (if you know what i mean). I would also get rid of that little white hash-mark at the top. I know it makes sense, but it makes the top a little cluttered, with all the outlines and horns. I also think that the eyes need work. I don't know how to fix this, and I'm sure it gives you a headache thinking of ways to fix it. Also, if this is the same ram, he should be charging as well, and if a ram were to actually charge at you, you would see no face, just horn; you can fix this by making the face smaller, horn bigger (I know I am repeating, but i think it's true). The face also looks too human. He looks like a bored person, with that mouth. Try to make it more angry, and maybe even just eliminate the mouth (see charging ram, no face seen...)

I hope you take this advice not as hard criticism, but friendly advice. Don't get me wrong, I love the progression.

No worries, I didn't ever take it as you being overly critical. Thanks for your opinions. It is supposed to be the same ram, but it isn't a 90º shift in view; it is the same ram at a different time. I had thought of doing a different angle of the same logo, but as you noted, it would be almost all horn. So I am wanting to portray the same ram but not in the same position. This logo portrays him as he is looking straight ahead.

I would love to get some more opinions before instituting changes. What do you think of the mouth? What about the white outline at the top of the head? What can I do with the face to make it seem less human? What makes it seem human? What about the eyes, do they need to be changed?

award%20sig.png

That was actually one of the main reference pictures I used, but then I obviously deviated from it to make it look more like a logo. Some things from a ram don't work well with an athletic logo, like their extremely wide-set eyes that are on the sides of their faces--it leaves too much blank space in the face. Similarly, I was made the chin angular because I thought it would look more aggressive (and more like my other logo) than a more realistic rounded chin.

award%20sig.png

i think the biggest problem here is the application of some colors. the white lines in the horns should probably be blue. i think those would be much better represented as shadows than highlights.

the gray around the ear should be white. keep your line color consistent.

remove the gray shapes from the eyes. or make them blue.

the blue key line should be thicker. thicken it til it is an equal size as the green.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i think the biggest problem here is the application of some colors. the white lines in the horns should probably be blue. i think those would be much better represented as shadows than highlights.

the gray around the ear should be white. keep your line color consistent.

remove the gray shapes from the eyes. or make them blue.

the blue key line should be thicker. thicken it til it is an equal size as the green.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on these suggestions. One question I have is what you mean when you say to make the gray shapes from the eyes blue (3rd point). Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing as removing them?

award%20sig.png

I did work on some mouth options but didn't post them below. I'll work on that later. I think making the white on the horn navy makes the white line at the top of the head less confusing.

I changed the ear outline color and also changed the white on the horns to navy. It will definitely works better when I try the logo in only black and white. I did run into issues with having both navy and white on the exterior edge of the logo; the only thing I could figure out to do was treat the outline of the horn (now navy) as its keyline. I tried giving both the green and navy keylines the same weight (I didn't want to go thicker because I don't want to add more navy to the horns), and another with the green being twice as wide/thick:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-27%20at%209.38.3Screen%20Shot%202015-01-27%20at%209.39.5

What do you think? Also, I removed the gray area around the eye. Is the face now too empty? I do want to mention that I do want to match the brow/shading to my other logo. Here is the logo without any shading/brow around the eye:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-27%20at%209.42.5

Again, is the face too empty or boring? Here is a version with only a brow:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-27%20at%209.43.5

Is this better? (I would probably make the brow gray, but forgot to change it..)

For comparison, here is the side logo with the full shading/brow:
ScreenShot2014-11-21at103609AM.png

(Note that this is an old file, so the horn outline and detail are still white instead of navy.)

award%20sig.png

I think removing the green outline would look better to me

It is a school color, so it will stay. Obviously, there will be versions without green in two- and three-color logos.

Some students have seen the side-profile logo, and I have heard some of them say that it looks like the ram is bowing. Do you agree? If so, how do I fix it? I want to depict him charging, but is it missing something that makes it look like it is submissive instead of aggressive?

award%20sig.png

I think it has to do with the tilting you have done. I would do one of two things or maybe both...

1. take just the head part & tilt down more towards the neck . Then take the whole logo back up some.

2. Tilt the whole logo up some.

Also your line thickness is not consistent & in the new one with the blue highlights in the horns does not flow well with the white outline at all.

I would consider adding back the the white outline & keep the thickness all the way through & drop the outer blue outline.

Just some suggestions but the way the head is leaning down right now has always bothered me so I could see the bowing they talked about.

I think it has to do with the tilting you have done. I would do one of two things or maybe both...

1. take just the head part & tilt down more towards the neck . Then take the whole logo back up some.

2. Tilt the whole logo up some.

Also your line thickness is not consistent & in the new one with the blue highlights in the horns does not flow well with the white outline at all.

I would consider adding back the the white outline & keep the thickness all the way through & drop the outer blue outline.

Just some suggestions but the way the head is leaning down right now has always bothered me so I could see the bowing they talked about.

Thanks for the feedback; I'll work on the logo and post some results when I can.

award%20sig.png

I didn't change anything with the outlines, but I wanted to at least work on the positioning of the logo. The first logo is the entire logo rotated:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-30%20at%209.17.4

Then, I tried a version in which I tilted the chin back closer to the neck (and made his horn closer to perpendicular).

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-30%20at%209.29.2

I think I prefer the second one. What do you think? (I now notice that the base of the horn could use some cleaning up; something must have happened when I rotated the face.

award%20sig.png

Archived