School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

It's the eye for me. The horn enclosure didn't bother me because there's another horn on the other side of its head that would likely fill that space in shadow.

Rotate the eye 10-20 degrees to the right, shrink it by 15-25%, and nudge it down.

Right now, the eye itself is in the spot that the brow itself should be.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-25%20at%208.32.1

Eye area is smaller and has been rotated 10ª. I thought it fit the contour of the face and brow.

I was a little confused by your comment about the brow. I have already depicted the horn base (which I would call the brow). I made the horn gray in this version to show it a bit more clearly. The eye is right below the brow/horn base on real rams; I think I actually lowered it a bit on the previous logo so that it wasn't anatomically correct. I did move the eye away from the brow a bit in this version.

What do you think of this eye?

The eye rotation and placement is better now - personally, I think it could still be shrunken down a little bit, but that's just me.

It's been really cool seeing your progression and how, generally speaking, you've improved with each rendition. Thanks for sharing, and more importantly, being open to constructive criticism.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the eye for me. The horn enclosure didn't bother me because there's another horn on the other side of its head that would likely fill that space in shadow.

Rotate the eye 10-20 degrees to the right, shrink it by 15-25%, and nudge it down.

Right now, the eye itself is in the spot that the brow itself should be.

It's been really cool seeing your progression and how, generally speaking, you've improved with each rendition. Thanks for sharing, and more importantly, being open to constructive criticism.

Goodness, without creative criticism I'd be in serious trouble. Thank you, community, for supplying it.

I think the logo is about where I want it, but I'll let it sit for a bit and see if I change my mind. Right now I am working on my alternate logo.

This is what I had:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-31%20at%202.36.4

I was given some more reference pics and advice (thanks, Ren) and decided to rework the head shape and the nose.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2010.12.

I had the ears behind the horns despite it being anatomically impossible because I didn't want to put much emphasis with them, but I tried a version with them in front of the horn as they should be:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2010.33.

My concern with this is when the logo will be in only two colors:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2010.34.

I also tried a version in which I made the eyes and mouth more similar to the side-profile logo:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-30%20at%2011.11.

The eyes just aren't working too well, in my opinion. Do you have any suggestions on what to do? I can't decide if I like the mouth.

What is working above? What isn't?
One other question: The horn details seem to bleed right into the blue outline at the top of the head; is this an issue I should fix?

award%20sig.png

In the side profile, it looks the ram has flattened it's ears like cats and some dogs do. It might help if the front version of the ram has it's ears flattened similiarily. I tried looking for pictures for a reference and did see some where the ears were behind the horns, and when they are headbutting, it does look like they flatten their ears as well.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

I would just make them a little smaller & fit them in the blue space between the head & horn... You could probably just leave the white outline off & put just a white mark in the blue which will imply the ear but without the definition if you get what I am saying...

• 2 months later...

Well, I am back with something else. The school would like a full-body ram as well, and I wanted to incorporate the head from the main logo into it for some consistency. Here is what I have so far:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-17%20at%205.07.4

I also tried a version with a thicker outline:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-17%20at%205.07.2

What do you think? The legs and especially the hooves have been giving me the most trouble. Should I rework them? Also, is the white butt too much? It is anatomically correct, but it might be too much of a distraction.

award%20sig.png

Here is the update. The white butt is gone. The hooves lost their curviness, and I added some navy outlines in places to keep legs from bleeding into one another on two-color applications.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-23%20at%2010.36.

One question I am having is whether the back hooves are too narrow. Let me know. Also let me know if you have any other suggestions for improvement.

award%20sig.png

• 1 month later...
The school year is quickly approaching, and I want to have the new logos finalized by then. I wanted a logo that included the school's name (and some green), so I tried a roundel. I would like to know what you think about the roundel logo. I had to make the words off-center with this size roundel. Is it too distracting to have it off-center like that?
If you have any comments on the older logos, please include those as well. I am not sure that I like how the ears and horns meet in the secondary logo, but I don't know how to improve them.

Also, do you prefer gray horns or white horns? Even if I go with gray horns officially, they will be printed in white quite frequently because it would be cheaper to print t-shirts, etc. with one fewer color (this is also why I didn't want any shading, etc. on the logos), but what should the official logos use?

In short, I think I am quite close here, but are there any tweaks I should make? And what color should the horns be?

LOGO%20SHEET%20gray.png

LOGO%20SHEET%20white.png

I should probably mention that the school colors are officially navy, white, kelly green, and gray.

award%20sig.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have shown these logos to some people at school, and some people think the main logo looks like it is bowing instead of charging. I played around with rotating the logo to potentially address this. Here is the original logo:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%2010.05.

This next one is rotated just 5º:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%2010.05.

These are very subtle and there isn't much difference, but does the lower neck improve the look of the logo?

I also tried a version that is rotated fairly extremely. This one has actually gotten quite a bit of positive feedback, but I'd really love to get some comments on what you think of it:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%2010.06.

award%20sig.png

Definitely the 3rd one. Only thing I see when it's in that position is that it makes me want to see the horn a bit larger & with more of a curled tip.

I agree. Third one looks great.

To add on to what ren said, take a look at this ram on the left (similar head positioning), the horns are larger in relation to the head, and the horn has a "wider" curve, that way the odd "blank space" between the head and the horn could look a bit more natural (in your logo).

Either way, it looks good.

Edit: It might be helpful to look at where the horn curves in relation to the shoulder/neck.

1502191535021ram_fight_4.jpg

Edit 2: The front facing ram is almost there, but could use some work. The white running up the face looks odd, and the base of the horns could be moved up further so that they're atop the head (i will say that the curvature and perspective of the horns is perfect though). Here's a pic: https://chrismartinphotography.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jasper-ram-c2a9-christopher-martin-5702.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived