Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

Its frustrating they won't fix their awful home and away jerseys. Its also frustrating that they unveiled what would be a great replacement (with their primary logo on the front) as an alternate.

ImCX5GH.png

i dont follow hockey too closely, but this pic just made me annoyed because they use the old atlanta "A" for assistant captain, but not their own "C" for captain.. big WHIFF in my book..

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Seattle Seahawks all blue look from the SB40 era. Originally, they were supposed to wear blue tops over white pants. And they were supposed to wear the silver helm (my avatar) with the home set, and the blue helm with the road set (white jersey over blue pants). Or maybe vice versa on helmets, I don't remember. But the NFL said no, so they had a fan vote on helmet color.

Blame the unicolor look on Seattle, Cleveland fans. I hope I don't see the Browns all brown or all orange too often. I wish the Hawks would wear the white or gray pants at home also. But that will not happen. We love tradition.

Its frustrating they won't fix their awful home and away jerseys. Its also frustrating that they unveiled what would be a great replacement (with their primary logo on the front) as an alternate.

ImCX5GH.png

i dont follow hockey too closely, but this pic just made me annoyed because they use the old atlanta "A" for assistant captain, but not their own "C" for captain.. big WHIFF in my book..

I'm pretty sure they did use the flaming C as the captain's patch, and it looked stupid.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

They tried that. It did indeed look stupid.

Theoren-Fleury-New-York-Rangers-Colorado

I've been avoiding this thread because I'm worried I'll end up writing a book. But here we go...in no particular order.

NFL:

• Atlanta - looks so completely dated which is bad enough but even worse, it was horrible back when it was new. Seems like everyone prefers the throwback alts (my favorite NFL look) so why not ditch the current disasters and look good again.
  • Cincinnati - so much potential, such an ugly mess. What's most frustrating is the fact that the Bengals are just a few tweeks away from a modern classic.
  • Arizona - perfect helmet (no matter which face mask color you choose) clown suit uniform. If any team could get by with a very basic look, it's the Cardinals.
  • Baltimore - why they insist on ruining such a good looking uniform with those God-awful black pants is beyond me. Stick to the basics - B/P/W B/W/W and it's a great look. Then there's the helmet logo. Another simple fix.
  • Denver - great color scheme, decent helmet, ridiculous pants and jerseys. Lose the 90's look, keep Nike in check, and you just might get a great uniform.
  • Tennessee - simple, go to the Navy jerseys over white at home, white over the light blue on the road, and it's a top 10 look.
  • Jacksonville - fix the helmet, lose the black pants, and it's a pretty solid look.
  • And finally, the most frustrating of all - Tampa Bay - ditched a uniform set that looked great no matter which combo they went with for Nike clown suits with digital alarm clock numbers.

And that's the first page of chapter one. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I've been avoiding this thread because I'm worried I'll end up writing a book. But here we go...in no particular order.

NFL:

• Atlanta - looks so completely dated which is bad enough but even worse, it was horrible back when it was new. Seems like everyone prefers the throwback alts (my favorite NFL look) so why not ditch the current disasters and look good again.
  • Cincinnati - so much potential, such an ugly mess. What's most frustrating is the fact that the Bengals are just a few tweeks away from a modern classic.
  • Arizona - perfect helmet (no matter which face mask color you choose) clown suit uniform. If any team could get by with a very basic look, it's the Cardinals.
  • Baltimore - why they insist on ruining such a good looking uniform with those God-awful black pants is beyond me. Stick to the basics - B/P/W B/W/W and it's a great look. Then there's the helmet logo. Another simple fix.
  • Denver - great color scheme, decent helmet, ridiculous pants and jerseys. Lose the 90's look, keep Nike in check, and you just might get a great uniform.
  • Tennessee - simple, go to the Navy jerseys over white at home, white over the light blue on the road, and it's a top 10 look.
  • Jacksonville - fix the helmet, lose the black pants, and it's a pretty solid look.
  • And finally, the most frustrating of all - Tampa Bay - ditched a uniform set that looked great no matter which combo they went with for Nike clown suits with digital alarm clock numbers.

And that's the first page of chapter one. B)

They're going back to Navy at home. The Titans would have looked great with the light blue jersey if they would have just worn white pants. The blue pants ruined it. This link says they only wore that combo twice in it's history. http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/11/19/tennessee-titans-will-be-going-back-to-navy-as-primary-home-uniform/

I don't know. I always kinda liked that.

Maybe because I loved it when Barry did it with the Reds.

larkin201.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know. I always kinda liked that.

Maybe because I loved it when Barry did it with the Reds.

larkin201.jpg

In my mind I was picturing it with the script still (and probably removing the "C" from below the script).. I just think it looks off to use a "logo" for your "A", but just a standard block letter for your "C" when your actual logo is, in fact, a "C"..

If you're going to use a logo for a captain's patch, I think it should go on the shoulders, even if it has to replace a regular shoulder patch. That way, it's not competing with the crest. It's literally the only good thing to come out of the Sabres' turd burger jerseys.

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

It isn't so much the Twins' new home uniform that frustrates me (unpopular opinion: I think it looks rather sharp). It's the inconsistency throughout their entire identity/uniform set that frustrates me.

• The batting helmets they've been wearing at home have no gold outline on the TC logo, while they have the outline on their caps.

newtwinshat_zpsryrqbpgj.jpgnewtwinsj_zpsmybw0kzb.png

• The road and alt uniforms have no trace of gold anywhere on them. If you're going to add a brand new color the R/W/B palette you possessed for over 50 years, OWN it. Add it to every uniform.
  • The current logo (the newer roundel (*sigh*) update introduced in 2010) has a 'Twins' script in red outline by blue. However, on the new home uniform, the 'Twins' script is blue outlined by red & gold.

twinslogouse_zpsqndbr8hy.jpg

• *This gripe has nothing to do with inconsistencies in the uniform set, so now I'm being inconsistent with my complaining* I really wish they could make this the primary logo, while changing the color of the script from red to blue to reflect the change on their uniforms. Maybe the addition of 'Minnesota' above it could help, almost like a modernized version of their 1987-2009 set. It would no longer be another roundel in a league full of them, as well (sort of; I realize there's still a circular element).

twinsaltuse_zpspzycvlc0.jpg

I have plenty of other grievances that I could whine about here, but I'll limit it to the hometown team because it's late and I've gone off on the Twinkies plenty enough.

Sorry for the relative large size of this post!

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

ImCX5GH.png

Agreed! I also thought that this was an excellent jersey, and I'm with ya on losing the script and putting the flaming C front and center. A different number font would also be ideal, and maybe they could move the script to an alt jersey if they were to make these the regular homes. All in all, a great addition to their set, but it should have been applied as the regular home jersey.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

If you're going to use a logo for a captain's patch, I think it should go on the shoulders, even if it has to replace a regular shoulder patch. That way, it's not competing with the crest. It's literally the only good thing to come out of the Sabres' turd burger jerseys.

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

I have to disagree, the captain's patch on the top right chest in hockey is one of my favorite uniform things in the whole sport, and I wish more sports did it.

spacer.png

The Timberwolves.

They had one job: put the updated wordmarks and numbers on the KG-era set. Then, bam. Perfection, no need to change ever again. Instead? They go way too far by rolling out a warped "modern and kewl update" of that set (which looked dated by year one) because "hey, gotta keep up with times, so let's future up this thing!", then proceeded to make it worse by inexcusably dropping the green soon after.

A small change away from nailing it, yet here they are a few short years later donning a depleted shell of what was once a good thing. That's definitely frustrating.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Timberwolves.

They had one job: put the updated wordmarks and numbers on the KG-era set. Then, bam. Perfection, no need to change ever again. Instead? They go way too far by rolling out a warped "modern and kewl update" of that set (which looked dated by year one) because "hey, gotta keep up with times, so let's future up this thing!", then proceeded to make it worse by inexcusably dropping the green soon after.

I disagree with you there. The KG-era script looked like garbage, and I like the current blue/gray look better than anything else in their franchise history.

The Timberwolves.

I disagree with you there. The KG-era script looked like garbage, and I like the current blue/gray look better than anything else in their franchise history.

That was kind of my point, though. That was really the only thing that needed to be changed in my opinion. All they had to do to the KG set was update the script and numbers basically to what the script and numbers are now.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That treatment was unnecessary and extraneous. The uniforms already had the (great) logo on the front, there was no need for a smaller version several inches from it. Just looks distracting and actually manages to dilute the effectiveness of an otherwise fantastic logo.

Speaking of which, lets all admire that logo for a bit, wow! Love the current black C but that white version with black trim is something else

does anyone have an opinion/ facts why teams started going with darker colors ? Like Eagles leaving Kelly green, Brewers leaving royal/ yellow for navy/ athletic gold, etc? I realize the obvious is to sell more merchandise, but I have a rudimentary guess that those darker colors look better with khaki pants/ shorts and the older fans with money will buy polos/ jackets/ sweatshirts. Or maybe I've sniffed too much glue today...

I don't know, but green in particular has gotten darker, and not just with the Eagles. Michigan State wore kelly-ish green at one time; now their main color is close to black. The A's have also darkened their green considerably. We can't forget the Jets' 1998 makeover, either. It's rare to see a green that's not really dark. I guess part of it is probably standardization of colors in the past decade, and dark green was the popular one, so that was what most green teams got.

Kelly to forest green bugs me, but not nearly as much as royal to navy blue. Navy blue is a boring color, period. Aside from the Yankees and Tigers and Penn State and Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech, very few teams look good wearing it, unless they have some sharp contrast from secondary colors (see: Auburn and Illinois). The Brewers' old ball-in-glove logo is great, and it has a great color scheme to go with it.

On the plus side: Navy and black have both been decreasing somewhat in popularity, at least in the Big 4. In college, everyone wears black these days, most for no particular reason.

Archived