Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

I never really had a problem with the Steelers italic number font and I actually kind of like it. No other team in the league has that kind of font and I think it makes their jerseys modern while having tradition in it at the same time. Their previous blocked number font wasn't bad, but it screams to me as "just another generic jersey".

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a baseball fan, I hate it when teams like the Boston Red Sox, who have classic home/away uniforms, decide to wear alternates like these below.They look like batting practice unis, not something you wear in an actual game. Could you imagine the Yankees, Dodgers or Tigers wearing solid blue uniforms? It's just unnecessary and doesn't look good, IMO.

FAWD7oJ.pngPwkTlon.png

I also hate it when teams wear black alternates for no reason whatsoever, despite black not being one of the team's primary colors. It doesn't happen as much in baseball as it used to (i.e. Mets, Jays, Marlins, Royals, A's), but it still happen a lot in football. Why in the world were the Eagles wearing all black unis on Sunday Night Football last week?

f0tpSb3.png

The Lions also used to wear black alternates during the Millen era, but thankfully, they got rid of those hideous things. Unless you're the Raiders, stop wearing black. I don't get why people think it looks good.

I could list numerous examples in college football of teams who frustrate me because of their usage of black unis and alternates, but that would take an eternity.

Also, and I'll probably get criticized for saying this, but the Steelers' logo-on-only-one-side helmets have always annoyed me.

I don't think anyone will criticize you. it is just your opinion.... and considering you are a Bengals fan, I think most people will consider the source. :D

There IS a reason there is only side covered with an emblem. If you look at the Steelers logo, it was taken directly from the United States steel industry logo. the way the word is on the left side of the 3 hypocycloids, and flows into them gives the logo a definite flow. And the Rooney's decided that when the logo was on the other side of the helmet, it didn't look the same. unlike a logo that can be flipped, (like just about every helmet logo out there), the Steelers can't reverse their logo. It is what it is. So, it is on one side only, and that is the way it always will be.

If you think about it, it DOES make sense. Think of any standard logo... say the Arizona Cardinals.... the bird can look the same, and face the front of the helmet from either the left or right profile. The Cardinals would never put the same profile on both sides of the helmet, as one bird would be facing the front of the helmet, and one would be facing the back of the helmet. And essentially, this is what you would have if you put the Steeler logo on the opposite side.

If someone has the ability to photoshop this, I think anyone who can't picture what I am talking about will immediately understand.

Oh, I know the history and the story behind how it came to be, but it still bugs me. (Actually, there's a story about it being an experiment and they therefore only did one side for that game, and then it never changed for whatever reasons.) And I know you were kidding about my being a Bengals fan :) , but that really doesn't enter into it. I will hold a lifelong grudge against the 49ers for XVI and XXIII (also can't stand their current coach) but I'll readily admit that they dress very nicely on Sundays and their uniforms are among my all-time favorites.

I'm not sold that the Steelers logo would look wrong if flipped or if they just put the same exact same thing on both sides. I think it's tradition more than anything.

The Broncos didn't let it stop them...

925626_852554678118501_145512760_a.jpg

- Any NHL team without waist stripes. (Edge template)

- The fact that the Ducks are no longer Eggplant and Jade.

- The stripes on the Seahawks collarbone.

- When the Redskins wear yellow pants on the road.

- NFL neck roll collars (What is taking STL, NO and CIN so long to correct this?)

- Lack of blue in Giants road unis.

- The Marlins.

I guess you can say any other ugly uniform frustrates me too, especially if what it replaced was better.

You know, I don't know that I've ever seen those to pictures next to each other like that. What a massive downgrade. I knew it was a downgrade but it's not even close. The no hem stripe thing is awful and the way they use the orange. Either use it like you did before or just remove it altogether. The asymmetricness created by the one thin stripe is frustrating as hell.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 pages in and no one mentioned the cowboys?

Anyways I'll say the San Jose Sharks, arguably the best uniform out of the reebokalypse in 2007

jonathan_cheechoo_2009_03_03.jpg

So what do they do?

464128557_slide.jpg

While they probably should've kept the hem stripe, the shoulder yoke had to go. It looked awful.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Speaking of the Flames, it always bugged the :censored: out of me that their pre-Edge uniforms used different collars on the home and the road when the design was otherwise the exact same.

Lace-up:

CGY_2003-07_DARK.jpg

V-neck:

Calgary-Flames-Authentic-Reebok-White-NH

Those uniforms are so beautiful it's depressing... The white jersey was around 3 years longer than the red which is why they don't quite match.

While they probably should've kept the hem stripe, the shoulder yoke had to go. It looked awful.

The Sharks uniform change was extremely frustrating. The uniform looks so much better without the yoke and so much worse without the hem stripe... And ditch the front numbers, they aren't necessary.

Wow, is that picture right? RG III standing UPRIGHT and not INJURED?!?!?!

I don't really follow hockey or basketball so I won't comment on those uniforms. I don't do college sports either.

I am at best a semi-casual NFL and MLB fan. I used to be passionate about both but they kind of lost me.

Starting with MLB...

ALL teams, the pajama looking pants, no more stirrup socks. Teams like the Red Sox and White Sox have names that mean nothing now!

San Diego Padres - PLEASE bring back your gold and brown identity for criminy sake! Follow the Houston Astros lead!

Cleveland Indians - PICK A UNIFORM already!!!! Some days the cap has Wahoo, some days the very bland block "C" (which desperately needs an outline), some days they wear the script "Indians", some days the block lettered "INDIANS". Pick a uniform Indians! Pick a lane Gert!!!

Milwaukee Brewers - Would love their uniform if they would go back to their original colors, the blue (although I contend it was purple) and yellow. And have it say "Milwaukee" on the road uniforms!

Texas Rangers - Put "Rangers" back on the home uniforms and get the font to match the cap. Blue caps only, get rid of this red cap crap.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - Go back to being Anaheim Angels, and make the crown of your caps navy blue!

Oakland Athletics - Go back to Kelly Green, the forest green is dull and blah to me. Home and road caps both need the yellow brim.

Mariners - Bring back the green brims for the caps, at least for home games anyway.

Miami Marlins - Everything stinks about their uniform. They are as loud as the Padres' uniforms are dull.

Washington Nationals - I wish their road cap was also their home cap. I detest the red cap so much.

Atlanta Braves - Had a beautiful uniform set from 1987 - early 2000s. Bring those back!

Cincinnati Reds - Not too bad, but could do without the black shadowing effect. I still long for the Big Red machine uniform look too.

Pittsburgh Pirates - Ditch the black tops with the "P", bring back the caps with the gold crown.

St. Louis Cardinals - That they have a home alternate with "St. Louis" but they refuse to have a road uniform that says "St. Louis"!

Arizona Diamondbacks - "D-Backs"?!?! REALLY?!?!?! Such a lame look on a pro uniform. Just looks very Bush League.

San Diego Padres - Again, bring back original colors. Set yourself apart uniform wise at least. Heaven knows you don't set yourselves apart talent wise....sheesh...

NFL -

Cowboys - 19 different shades of blue/silver/metallic blue, etc., plus the hideous blue stripes w/the black outlines on the sleeves

Eagles - Kelly Green needs to come back. Would have been the perfect time too with Chip Kelly

Redskins - mismatched stripes galore

Lions - Bring back Mr. Bubbles without the face

Vikings - I guess because I first saw them in 1974 on color TV, those uniforms from back then are what I wish they would use today, now they seem rather dull somehow, no outline on the numerals, etc.

Rams - Snoozefest uniforms. Bring back what they had from 1974-1999! If they change to the dullsville white horn look, that will be even worse than what they have now.

Seahawks - Too "out there", I wish they'd modernize their look but use their original colors more, far too drab now.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers..... P.U. Horrible!

Miami Dolphins - At first I rather liked their updated helmet logo, but now I'm wishing they would have gone back to the late 70s, early 80s look instead. The numeral font they use now is annoying too.

New York Jets - Boring, bland, hate it when they wear the green top and green pants. I actually hate that "monochrome" look for all teams....

Steelers - Ever since they went to the "wimpy" looking numerals I have wanted to see them go back to their block numerals instead!

Chargers - The early to mid 80s look was awesome. What they have now is bland. Mamby pamby powder blue tops, white helmet w/a gold bolt which is hard to see, just lame to me.

Jaguars - Another very uninspired look, two-tone helmet which is laughable, but I do like the improved Jaguar head logo.

Anyways I'll say the San Jose Sharks, arguably the best uniform out of the reebokalypse in 2007

So what do they do?

464128557_slide.jpg

For me the Sharks fall in the "lack of waist stripe" category. The orange pisses me off too with them it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted orange or not so just threw in a random stripe.

The Cowboys I just forgot about. The mismatching is frustrating but at this point I think their famous for it. The rarely used blue set is beautiful though.

So what do they do?

464128557_slide.jpg

For me the Sharks fall in the "lack of waist stripe" category. The orange pisses me off too with them it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted orange or not so just threw in a random stripe.

The Cowboys I just forgot about. The mismatching is frustrating but at this point I think their famous for it. The rarely used blue set is beautiful though.

Nothing comes close to their original set. That was a modern classic.

Yeah I forgot to mention the atrocious Steelers' font, if anyone wants to see the perfect way to RUIN a uni set, with minimal change, look no further than the Steelers italicizing in the 90's.

I guess I'm in the minority that really likes it. I think it is a perfect way to separate eras, and does add a contemporary touch to an otherwise uber traditional uniform. That it's not a jaggedy, overdesigned custom font is part of what makes it great. It doesn't have the same contrived "qualities" as many of the current custom fonts, isn't the cliche stencil font that every concept seems to use, and they kept it one color which IMO keeps the emphasis on the "fancy" sleeve stripes, but adds just a little bit of style to the body.

I see people all the time point out differences in the way some numbers are slanted, and that it doesn't match the helmet numbers exactly, and I just can't see an issue here. Other than subjective love for the "classic" style (which is perfectly fine if anyone feels that way), I haven't read any objective critique that I agree with - the "flaws" that are pointed out IMO aren't flaws.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

THIS ...along with every single sleeved basketball kit in existence or yet to be thought of by Adiddas.

1bcef17f_161kxs8.jpeg

Since it caused a petty skyline debate in the NBA thread, the Dallas' Dildo Nugs-retro-ripoff jersey.

ByPBCr-CMAA3N8L.jpg

EDIT: adding the Bengals to this for the white side panel and drop shadow.

bengals.jpg

NYCdog.png

Archived