Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

Yes, but the red jersey, really? Little logo on the helmet vs the large jersey, let's be honest, it's Red Coats all the way.

I disagree.

Me too. Their colors are R/W/B...it's OK to have a red jersey. Particularly since the other R/W/B teams tend to wear blue. I never once took the red jersey as some sort of implication of redcoats. Of course I was a kid at the time. All I know is those jerseys would add some nice color to the league and the color scheme fits.

Is that why they changed to blue?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the oldest argument on these boards.

I know the Patriots wore red for 30+ years, but I also think that was a 30 year mistake. I don't think the Patriots should wear red jerseys because their logo is a colonial soldier and they fought the red coats. I think if any team should wear blue it's the New England Patriots. The Patriots wearing red jerseys again would be like the Columbus Blue Jackets wearing grey jerseys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Patriots wearing red jerseys again would be like the Columbus Blue Jackets wearing grey jerseys.

Or Ole Miss wearing navy blue--except that currently happens and no one freaks out over it.

The New Jersey Generals wore red, even though that was the color of Soviet Union, any US general's biggest enemy.

The Minnesota Vikings wear pruple, even though that is the color of England's royal family under Elizabeth the First (real Vikings marauded the English coast).

The Chicago Bears had orange jerseys, even though hunters wear orange when they hunt bears.

The Patriots wearing red jerseys again would be like the Columbus Blue Jackets wearing grey jerseys.

Or Ole Miss wearing navy blue--except that currently happens and no one freaks out over it.

The New Jersey Generals wore red, even though that was the color of Soviet Union, any US general's biggest enemy.

The Minnesota Vikings wear pruple, even though that is the color of England's royal family under Elizabeth the First (real Vikings marauded the English coast).

The Chicago Bears had orange jerseys, even though hunters wear orange when they hunt bears.

Speaking of uniforms that frustrate me...

...Why must Ole Miss have Red/White or Blue/White football jerseys. It's OK to include both school colors.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Technically Confederates often wore blue. They were lacking funds and took to wearing the only thing they had which often were the clothes off of fallen Union soldiers and the uniforms stolen from ransacked Union uniform manufacturers. But that's just a technicality.

The Patriots should take that AFL red jersey and just invert the red and blue. You could even keep it a boring navy. But I would like to see the royal return just like the 1993 rebrebrand. They should be royal, red, and silver. In short, the Patriots need a change.

That used to bug me, until they dropped the Confederate connection. No Confederate connection? No issues with them in blue.

The Pats though? Clearly an American Revolutionary War connection. The redcoats represented the authority the Americans were rebelling against. The Pats should wear blue.

No. Purple as a colour representing royalty isn't exclusive to British royalty. It dates back to the days of the Roman Empire and has been used by royality across Europe, including royalty in Scandinavia.

Furthermore, Vikings made a huge contribution to the current British "nation" through settlements in northern England and Scotland. And that British royal family Elizabeth I belonged to? Began in 1066 when a Norman duke of Viking origin seized the English throne.

First off I'm pretty sure the Bears in orange pre-dates the adoption of orange as a colour for hunters to wear. Whereas the New England Patriots certainly do not pre-date the American Revolution.

On top of that? When I think "hunter in orange" I think deer hunters. Someone in orange hunting gear just doesn't register in my mind's eye as someone hunting bears.

Didn't want to start an all new thread for this, but some idiot created this:

http://allrookie.com/the-16-worst-sports-uniforms-of-all-time/

While some are obvious, he lists the Capitals' Black-and-bronze uni as one of the 16 worst unis of all time.

Also the Croatian national soccer team's checkerboard uniforms- do you not realize it's based on their national shield?

He leaves many deserving uniforms out, and lists some that aren't even close to the worst of all time. Preds mustard yellow, among others. Bad? Yes. Top 16 of all time bad? No.

sig.png

Humans truly amaze me. For people not to see the visual connection between a red jersey and a red coat is honestly perplexing.

Tell us what life it like on your planet. Have you come here to enslave us and pillage our planet?

Just to study and observe. :)
Just use the astroglide this time, okay? Please?

In general, uniforms frustrate me when their striping patterns have the lighter color outside and darker color in the middle... it also frustrates me when the pants stripes differ from the helmets more than they should. The biggest offender of BOTH of these issues: the Cleveland Browns' white pants.. please just put brown outside with orange in the middle.. at least that would correlate to the brown outside stripes on the helmet.. they could also go with white in the middle, then put a thin orange outside of Brown to fully emulate the helmet stripes.

The Browns did that for a brief time

browns1.jpg

They also did this during that same era, which I didn't think looked as good.

Garcia-provides-positive-performance.jpg

I think the Browns should go back to the thin pants stripe they wore in the 80's. That way the thicknesses are different from the stripe on the helmet and you're not expecting them to match when they're not the same size.

I remember that set. Lasted only one season IIRC. I think stripe consistency can be a nice way to pull a uniform together (80's Oilers), but can drag it down if you become too anal or if you let it dictate tiny little changes (see above). With design, I never think it's a good thing to become trapped in the minutia.

Plus, a little randomness and inconsistency can work, especially in an old design, or one that's trying to recall an old design. The best example to me is the Giants' road uniform... I know it makes no sense in comparison with the home. I don't care. IMO It has a charm that would get totally flushed if they insisted on shoehorning blue into it. The Dodgers red front number, the 49ers jerseys that lack gold, the UCLA helmets that lack sky blue, the Bears' various striping patterns, most gray facemasks... these are some of my favorite design decisions. Whenever I hear someone complain about these elements, I'm always grateful I don't have to drive cross country with them...that mindset drives me crazy.

Art ain't math.

I can agree that certain randomness is quirky and nice, but there's nothing random about including a traditional 3-stripe pattern that almost exactly resembles that of the helmet, apart from the fact that the colors are opposite of what they should be. I'm a huge fan of their sleeve stripes, same with the Steelers, and I like that the Steelers use the thick bold pant stripe when they have the intricate sleeve stripe. I'm also a fan of the Dodgers red front numbers. Like I said, I have no issue with randomness, as long as it contributes aesthetically to the overall look. I don't mind the giants' roads because there's so much blue in the helmet, that you still get a good feel of blue when looking at the overall uniform, but this is a thread for uniforms that frustrate us. It frustrates me that the browns have the worst looking white pants they could possibly have in terms of striping and color placement, especially when following a simple design "rule" would create a great look.. the picture above without the white stems separating the colors, just the the colors together, brown/orange/brown shows how great it could be..

Not a uniform per se, but still within the spirit of this thread, IMHO.

endzone.jpg

I hate that the Packers put a border around their wordmark, which is totally counter-intuitive for a wordmark based on a stencil. At least they got it right the last time they played in the Super Bowl.

IMG00409-20110131-1134.jpg

Wish they'd adopt that entire end zone full time.

None of those examples are as egregious. And the New Jersey Generals are coming up on thirty years of extinction.

Also, those examples don't make the Patriots wearing red any more acceptable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not a uniform per se, but still within the spirit of this thread, IMHO.

endzone.jpg

I hate that the Packers put a border around their wordmark, which is totally counter-intuitive for a wordmark based on a stencil. At least they got it right the last time they played in the Super Bowl.

IMG00409-20110131-1134.jpg

Wish they'd adopt that entire end zone full time.

I'm probably in the minority here, but as a Packers fan, I wish they'd just install fieldturf and be done with it. Gold endzones with green stencil wordmark.

I played in college and can say that turf is definitely the way to go these days. We had grass for 2 of my 4 seasons and injuries were basically nonexistent once the turf was installed. The NFL has the money, there's no reason all teams shouldn't have it. Take the field out of the equation.

DWD_Sig_zpsbbf8ibvd.png

Archived