Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

The Warriors. The logo is so close to being perfect, but the struts on the Bay Bridge thin out waaaay too much at the top, the circle is thicker at the bottom for some perplexing reason, and the copperplate typeface looks cheap.

838px-Golden_State_Warriors_logo.svg.png

The kerning in Golden State is terrible (check out the really odd kerning in "Golden"). Plus, Copperplate is not the best font for a circle. "Warriors" has 8 edges in the curve and the kerning is crap there too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The California Golden State Warriors of San Francisco (of Anaheim).

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The long list of sports uniform/logo issues that make me mad:

The small-scaled gradient on the Jags helmet

jaguars-helmet.jpg?w=614&h=461

The numbers on the Bucs uniforms

Uniform03_03_14_2_a.jpg

The black outline on the 49ers logo

9455_san_francisco_49ers-primary-2009.gi

The stripe with the team wordmark on the Seahwks Unis

pYuW9_medium.jpg

The fact that in the sunlight and on the TV screen it is sometimes hard to tell if the Seahawks are wearing mono-white unis or their all-grey alternates (Who else is with me on that?)

Konz-white-480x319.jpg(Compare with picture above.)

Crazy CFB Alternates.

NBLXFLLQSNSOEYZ.20140701153713.jpg

(why my classic Oklahoma?)

blue_b_helmet.b.jpgbrncornghlmt2.b.jpg

fiowXOD.png

The Warriors. The logo is so close to being perfect, but the struts on the Bay Bridge thin out waaaay too much at the top, the circle is thicker at the bottom for some perplexing reason, and the copperplate typeface looks cheap.

838px-Golden_State_Warriors_logo.svg.png

The kerning in Golden State is terrible (check out the really odd kerning in "Golden"). Plus, Copperplate is not the best font for a circle. "Warriors" has 8 edges in the curve and the kerning is crap there too.

The entire identity looks slapdash. That text would look bad regardless of the font. Like the text on most NBA logos, it just feels like afterthought.

• 2 weeks later...

Retro-for-retro's-sake uniforms from teams that had fine modern looks.... this is especially bad in hockey:

ujbcKaI.jpg

lRnUv9I.jpg

I personally feel that the two examples I left up are well done. First of all, the stars employ kelly green, a color that is sorely underused in all of the major sports. And the wild away sweaters are a bold and distinct look.

Those are two of the best jerseys in the NHL... The addition of metallic silver easily excludes Dallas from original six dress up, as does the fact that kelly green is a big part of their uniform history.

The Wild on the other hand borrow elements from classic hockey sweaters but its hardly retro looking. Don't recall any jerseys prior to the 90's using Forest Green, Metallic Gold, or even the "Wheat" everyone says is vintage white.

john-wall-paul-pierce-nba-washington-wiz

The Wizards 3rd's not matching the other two jerseys with the extra stripe...really makes the set imo.

Their whole 'training bra' identity really bothers me. I understand and appreciate what they were going for, but I can't unsee it.

Couple of things I'll rant about here:

First off, the Carolina Hurricanes. They had an extremely unique, amazing look with the warning flags, and gave it all up for these bland excuses for jerseys:

060413_canes.jpg

Next, Liverpool. New Balance has made some great kits for other teams, but this is one kit I will not be buying:

Liverpool-15-16-Home-Kit.jpg

Not only have they completely taken out yellow as an accent color (which was one of my favorite aspects about the Warrior kits), but they have a striking similarity to these kits:

Manchester_United_Jersey_OnWhite_detail.

Trust me, as a Liverpool supporter, a Liverpool-Man U similarity is not something you want to do as a kit maker.

spacer.png

The Wizards' entire set is awful, IMO. It's a halfassed rendition of the '70s uniform that would be laughed out of the Concepts forum. The worst part is, they already HAD a perfect modernization of that look just a few years prior:

PJvcCtO.jpg

All they needed to do was make the shorts match the jersey color.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Couple of things I'll rant about here:

First off, the Carolina Hurricanes. They had an extremely unique, amazing look with the warning flags, and gave it all up for these bland excuses for jerseys:

060413_canes.jpg

Couldn't agree more, those uniforms are simply abysmal, no two ways about it. The road version reminds me of something you'd get at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks... Team logo, bland generic striping.

• 4 weeks later...

The Washington Capitals Alt, Winter Classic, helmet logo and home and away Jerseys are a mess. Almost nothing matches.

????? The Caps Alt. is a throwback so of course it's not gonna match. The alt. Is way better than what they wear now...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

How about the Cleveland Browns? From the waist up, I'd give them a solid B. That "Browns" script running down the leg, though? Blech. Nearly wrecks the set for me. I loathe scripts running up and down pants. You can only see it up close, so why bother?

To a lesser extent, the orange numerals and stitching on the brown jersey wasn't the best idea, either...isn't that why such a change in 1984 was aborted because, you know, it doesn't contrast the best with the brown?

My solution: Full stripes down the leg (eliminating #BrownsDownTheLeg), White numerals on brown jerseys (orange, uh, up-shadow), orange "CLEVELAND", brown numerals on road jerseys with orange "CLEVELAND." While a downgrade overall, that would still make for an intriguing set that doesn't scream "mid-major school."

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The Washington Capitals Alt, Winter Classic, helmet logo and home and away Jerseys are a mess. Almost nothing matches.

????? The Caps Alt. is a throwback so of course it's not gonna match. The alt. Is way better than what they wear now...

Yeah I would actually rather it match the throwback or the Winter classic uniform... I just really hate this logo/helmet:

129992565_slide.jpg

Archived