Uniforms that frustrate and anger you

ThePeam

How some MLB uniforms double print the wordmarks of some teams. Like how the Rays look like Raays. I think it looks stupid, especially since players now don't button the top part of their jerseys, exposing more of the double print. It looks like crap

If someone could find the reason for this, that would be awesome

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Patriots uniforms. I don't get why anyone on earth would like it other than the fact that they won superbowls wearing them. Team success while wearing a certain uniform does not make them better than other one that they had less success in. In other words, the red jerseys with the white helmet were much better.

I liked them as soon as I saw them - before they won anything in them. The side panel needs to be tweaked so that the panel and piping matches the pants, but other than that I think it's a solid modern uniform. They even got the socs right by using white with the navy pants.

I was a huge fan of the giant elvis uniforms, but I think that these work really well for them too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Reds fall into this category for me. I definitely think they're a "so close but so far"-type team.

Yes, I still cringe every time I see those road caps, and the unnecessary black drop shadow is nearly as bad.

Also, and I'll probably get criticized for saying this, but the Steelers' logo-on-only-one-side helmets have always annoyed me.

And finally, any football team that's still trying to make traditional sleeve stripes work on today's jerseys are difficult to look at.

Calgary Flames...

Not only because they went from being one of the best looking teams in the league (2003-07) to the worst in 1 year, but because they refuse to do anything about it. Instead of fixing the problem by removing the tacky flag patches and simplifying the striping, they release a laughable alternate fashioned after a cowboy shirt... It's as if the team is completely inept when it comes to sports aesthetics...

I think the Canucks did a great thing by moving back to blue and green. Clearly that is their natural color scheme.

However, their jerseys drive me crazy. The jerseys use striping that is similar, but also obviously different from the stripes that are on the pants and socks. You've got different thicknesses and widths and it's such an easy change to match all the striping across the platform.

Match the jersey striping to the pants and socks, pick a different number font, lose the arched Vancouver wordmark, throw some actual color into the orca logo and then you're working with a top ten uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Calgary Flames...

Not only because they went from being one of the best looking teams in the league (2003-07) to the worst in 1 year, but because they refuse to do anything about it. Instead of fixing the problem by removing the tacky flag patches and simplifying the striping, they release a laughable alternate fashioned after a cowboy shirt... It's as if the team is completely inept when it comes to sports aesthetics...

Speaking of the Flames, it always bugged the :censored: out of me that their pre-Edge uniforms used different collars on the home and the road when the design was otherwise the exact same.

Lace-up:

CGY_2003-07_DARK.jpg

V-neck:

Calgary-Flames-Authentic-Reebok-White-NH

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Buffalo Bills. Definitely on the right track but there are just too many flaws.

So many flaws that you couldn't even mention one?

Maybe I'm biased, but the Bills have the best uniform in the league.

bufg.png

Look at all those (mismatched) stripes!

robert-griffin-iii-adidas-supercharge-bl

I'm of the belief that stripes don't need to be 100% consistent to have a good football uniform, but those pants would likely look better if it was the thick double stripe (maroon and white) that were the same style as the white and maroon pants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

tyrann-mathieu-wallpaper-2013-pi-nfl-car

The only thing I like about the uniforms is the helmet logo. I don't like the ridiculous piping and yolk on the sides of the uniform and there is something about the number font that displeases me. I also think they should make their facemask white instead of grey. Their black alternate uniforms have the same problem (I actually don't even like their black alternate uniforms in general).

How some MLB uniforms double print the wordmarks of some teams. Like how the Rays look like Raays. I think it looks stupid, especially since players now don't button the top part of their jerseys, exposing more of the double print. It looks like crap

If someone could find the reason for this, that would be awesome

Cliff-Lee-3.jpg

Phillies have the same problem

Well, to me, it's a tiny tiny thing, but the fact that its such an easy fix is why its so frustrating. Check out the home jersey...

1377396301000-USP-NFL-Preseason-Buffalo-

All the white elements get treated the same. The sleeve stripes and the numbers are white, with a red outline, then a navy outline. The color pattern is white on red on navy on royal, consistantly.

Then, on the white jersey...

spiller-hopeful-story.jpg

...the stripes are royal outlined in navy outlined in red, but the numbers are royal outlined in red, outlined in navy. So there are two different color patterns... royal on navy on red on white for the stripes, and royal on red on navy on white for the numbers. I know that is nitpicking of the highest order, but once it got stuck in my head I couldn't get it out. Such an easy fix... I'd switch the red and navy outlines on the road numbers... that way the color pattern stays consistent throughout.

Also, the road socks are a problem I can't stop looking at. They need to simply match the socks colors and stripes to the jerseys... blue with stripes for the white pants, white with stripes for the blue pants.

It's true, in a league with uniforms the likes of Tampa, Jacksonville, and Seattle, it might seem ridiculous to harp on such miniscule details, but its just that "Oh, so close!" factor that drives you crazy.

- A tapered helmet stripe doesn't look good on most uniforms, but it really looks out of place on these.

- Speaking of out of place, the navy blue only serves to muddy the other colors.

- The set was unveiled with white-topped socks, yet they wear blue with the blue pants.

- So much stripe inconsistency.

With all this the look is still close to being in the top tier of NFL uniforms. These flaws - for me - keep it in the upper middle class.

Also, and I'll probably get criticized for saying this, but the Steelers' logo-on-only-one-side helmets have always annoyed me.

I don't think anyone will criticize you. it is just your opinion.... and considering you are a Bengals fan, I think most people will consider the source. :D

There IS a reason there is only side covered with an emblem. If you look at the Steelers logo, it was taken directly from the United States steel industry logo. the way the word is on the left side of the 3 hypocycloids, and flows into them gives the logo a definite flow. And the Rooney's decided that when the logo was on the other side of the helmet, it didn't look the same. unlike a logo that can be flipped, (like just about every helmet logo out there), the Steelers can't reverse their logo. It is what it is. So, it is on one side only, and that is the way it always will be.

If you think about it, it DOES make sense. Think of any standard logo... say the Arizona Cardinals.... the bird can look the same, and face the front of the helmet from either the left or right profile. The Cardinals would never put the same profile on both sides of the helmet, as one bird would be facing the front of the helmet, and one would be facing the back of the helmet. And essentially, this is what you would have if you put the Steeler logo on the opposite side.

If someone has the ability to photoshop this, I think anyone who can't picture what I am talking about will immediately understand.

anyway, my number one vote is for the Steelers. I have hated their slanted numbers ever since Nike screwed up the jersey about a decade ago.

the numbers are terrible. First, they are slanted, which seems to make it difficult for whoever sews the numbers on to line them up correctly. Some double numbers have massive spaces between them, (like 77 or 79, for example). Second, the font choice is terrible. Just because they used that font for the numbers on their helmets since the 70's (and I have never been able to find out why this particular font was chosen... probably just laying around.

and if you look at a picture of someone who wore both in their career, you can see how much nicer the old block numbers from the 70's looked.

Here is Jerome Bettis, with the new, slanted

XpTETi8.jpg

The 6 looks like it is slanted too far to the right.... and each time you look at one of these jerseys, unless it is a single digit, the numbers always look too spread out, too slanted, or mismatched. They suck.

another example of the bad number placement:

BykkdFs.jpg

look at the black uniform

OOBraP1.jpg?1

look at the distance between the top of the 3 and the 6!

here is a pic of Bettis and 78 Starks (I think), 84 (Tuman) and 83 (miller) in white.....

ctPJFoM.jpg

finally, the old Steeler uniform with block numbers

sZ8FQBf.jpg

no contest.

Oilers had the most aggravating of the Edge debacle of several years ago. They took what I thought was a great update and made it into garbage so bad they had to "throw back" permanently. Frustration: Who thought this was good?

Vikings: Going "old school" for those that want it but they just could not leave Nike's mark off of it with the stupid serifs. Frustration: So close yet so far.

Devils: I loved Green and Red. Frustration: common color scheme defeats unique scheme

Chiefs helmets: Great use of Red/Yellow from neck down and then black on the helmet. Speaking of red/yellow being great without black...

...Flames. Man did they look good in the 80s.

Steelers: The old-school look but continue to stick with the italicized numbers

Angles: I LOVE these uniforms but how many times can they put the halo-A on them?

Wild: Three completely different uniforms.

Flyers: The 80s look was great...the 70s look they went to is tacky with those nameplates. They needed to go "back" but not so far.

Lions: Black is so unnecessary

Sixers: Step in the right direction, but add some outlines or something.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived