San Juan

Brooklyn

Memphis

Mexico City

Cancun

Boise

Hawaii

Orlando

I know most of these would never work but I think at worst they would all be just as bad as Tampa/St. Pete.

No Albuquerque? WTF?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Re: Greensboro

Yeah... no. I just moved from there in June. Enjoyed it, but there's no way MLB would ever work there. I find it hard to believe that the Hurricanes played there for 2 years. In theory, the 3 nearby CSAs (Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) have a population base of over 6 million, and it looks good... but it just wouldn't work. People drive from Greensboro (and, less so, Raleigh) to Panthers games - but those are once a week, on weekends. Very few from Greensboro and even less from Raleigh drive during the week to see the Bobcats/Hornets.

Oddly enough, Greensboro/Winston-Salem was dangled as a possibility for the Twins relocation rumors in the mid-90s.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Raley Field in Sacramento seems like the only AAA park that I know of that can be expanded to MLB specifications. Of course the Rays are not relocating there.

That and Raley Field can't be expanded to MLB specifications. This false assertion just won't die. It was originally intended to be expandable, but due to changes during construction it was not built that way. It would have to be leveled and rebuilt to host MLB.

If the Yankees, Mets, and Phillies could get over themselves, and if there was a viable stadium, New Jersey would be a great location. But it will never happen and I doubt many fans would switch allegiances.

I hope the Rays move to Montreal.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

If it's north of Trenton, I doubt the phillies would have a gripe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Raleigh, I'll trade you a major-league Durham Bulls for a Not Squandering The Hurricanes Anymore.

Who am I kidding? What's even there to squander?

Deal!

If the Rays were to move to NC, I think they should build a stadium in Greensboro so they are not too far from Raleigh or Charlotte, satisfying both populations.

Greensboro would be the worst of all possibilities. North Carolina's 'metro' markets are very insular.

Everyone thought the Panthers were going to draw ticket-buyers from a wide swath of both Carolinas; didn't happen, but Charlotte's banking community buy up the slack if the team's competitive.

Everyone thought the Bobcats/Hornets would draw fans from Greensboro and Raleigh; didn't happen, and the original franchise was relocated in part because of it.

Everyone thought the Hurricanes would be fine playing in Greensboro for a few years while they were building the arena here in Raleigh; didn't happen, the team drew 5,000 a game, and ever since the team (and, somehow, Raleigh) got a stigma about it.

Major League Baseball would be better supported in Raleigh than Charlotte, if for no other reason than Raleigh supports minor league baseball better than Charlotte. Charlotte supports its Knights, but this area supports two minor-league franchises within what's essentially the same territory: the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats. But rest assured, in no North Carolina market should any sport be expected to draw fans from the others - it simply doesn't happen here.

When it comes to sports and ticket-buying, each city essentially treats the others as if they're Los Angeles and San Francisco: technically part of the same state, but otherwise their own private Idaho.

nav-logo.png

Archived