2015-16 Soccer Kits and News

crashcarson15

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike in my opinion is the best bet for the MLS, not only are they known for their good designs, but they are an American company, so if you want to get the league grown more in the US and Canada, then Nike would be a good bet for them. Fingers crossed they do sign with them. I also agree with the fact that many of these designs don't look like Adidas' standards, guess they may be going either lazy or over experimenting with new templates.

Nike is known for their good designs? You wouldn't know that from reading these boards.

Are you surprised that different people have different opinions?

Besides, you have to separate sports. I think Nike's soccer design team is as good as their college football team is lousy.

I haven't seen a press release or anything for the new US kits. So I assume both teams are wearing the 2014 kits today?

Both teams are playing in other countries, so I doubt they will be able to wear them. Not many countries wear white as the home team.

I haven't seen a press release or anything for the new US kits. So I assume both teams are wearing the 2014 kits today?

Both teams are playing in other countries, so I doubt they will be able to wear them. Not many countries wear white as the home team.

USMNT playing in LA today. And Panama's home shirt is red.

The problem with this years kits, and to a certain extent last years kits as well, is that adidas is getting too caught up in templating. Last year they had the line under the neck on the back of the shirts and this year they have the hem line. All the kits just look too similar given that pretty much all of them will either have the hem line or the line on the back. It's bad enough that all the shirts have the three stripes on the shoulders.

I'm just thankful that even though Adidas use templates they still input points of detail and design that make the jersey specific for each team, rather Nike uses templates like crazy and doesn't change one bit about them except colour, and use, it's suppose to be classy, as back up.

I actually enjoyed last years back neck line, but this years hemline is just BAD.

You realize Nike gives their teams a way more individuality right? Just look at the international teams. Nike teams each had unique fonts whereas every Adidas team had the same Adidas font. They're templated both, yes, but Adidas are way more busy, nikes are simple.

B9V2Wx1CYAAC8Xr.jpg

I found this on Twitter earlier and posted it. It follows the mockup Footy Headlines posted yesterday and looks like an actual jersey (as opposed to a photoshop mockup). And I just confirmed with Todo Sobre Camisetas that it is legit. So here. Revs 2015 away jersey.

The problem with this years kits, and to a certain extent last years kits as well, is that adidas is getting too caught up in templating. Last year they had the line under the neck on the back of the shirts and this year they have the hem line. All the kits just look too similar given that pretty much all of them will either have the hem line or the line on the back. It's bad enough that all the shirts have the three stripes on the shoulders.

I'm just thankful that even though Adidas use templates they still input points of detail and design that make the jersey specific for each team, rather Nike uses templates like crazy and doesn't change one bit about them except colour, and use, it's suppose to be classy, as back up.

I actually enjoyed last years back neck line, but this years hemline is just BAD.

You realize Nike gives their teams a way more individuality right? Just look at the international teams. Nike teams each had unique fonts whereas every Adidas team had the same Adidas font. They're templated both, yes, but Adidas are way more busy, nikes are simple.

Fonts is not the matter at hand, go see all there jerseys with low teams, all they do is slap on the teams badge, and they call it a day. They even take more time to think about their advertising and artwork behind the jerseys release than the jerseys themselves.

4354-Coritiba-2014-15-Nike-Away-Kit-Jers

Paris-Saint-Germain-2014-15-Nike-Away-Ki

And even if we look at big clubs they all have nothing special, look at there third jerseys for CIty, Barca and so on, all of them are the same, while take a look at Adidas and Lyon, Marseilles and so on. Even the home and aways for big clubs to me it seems like Nike don't try, for example look at the City jersey and Juventus' jersey. All have not a slight difference from the other years, using Class as an excuse.

77QSUj8.pngqCeHhp1.png?1

jersey.png

DC United Away

From a Washington Post article on the new kit:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/08/d-c-united-unveils-new-red-striped-secondary-jersey-with-a-tribute-to-their-supporters/

Focus groups involving United season-ticket holders, supporters groups and youth players revealed two key takeaways: people wanted more red in the secondary jersey, and a return to the horizontal striping from the team’s early years.

That latter issue is complicated by the introduction of jersey sponsors; the early jerseys had three horizontal stripes, which is an Adidas trademark, and the club cannot put the name of a different sponsor over an Adidas mark. Plus, putting the three stripes beneath the jersey sponsor made them look like belly stripes, which wasn’t ideal.

To avoid that problem, the team and Adidas together came up with a more complex striping pattern, with large red stripes gradually decreasing in size. (As part of the process, designers looked at various international striped patterns, including those used by Chelsea, Stuttgart VfB, Hamburg and AC Milan.)

So, the fans wanted the old school template with the horizontal stripes...

Three-for-Thursday-DC-kits.jpg

...but Adidas' brand guidelines forced them to come up with something else -- a gradient stripe design that doesn't really hearken back to the original design at all. Because heaven forbid they use two or four stripes, or three stripes of different weights that wouldn't cause any confusion re: the Adidas logo. :mad:

In other words: if your club/league signs up with Adidas, then a) their kits will be festooned with three stripes everywhere (*in addition* to the Adidas logo), and B) Adidas will hold sway over the kit sponsor's logo placement.

Why jump through those hoops, when competitors like Nike, UA, etc., are willing to give you more control over your visual brand and how you acknowledge your kit sponsor?

Archived