UT-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros

dcameronh

Hey, at least there's one less PDW logo in college athletics, right?

Is that who designed the utpa rebranding a few years back? I hate it. I was excited for a rebrand but seeing as vaqueros isn't going over too well, idk.

I liked it initially but then I thought it would be odd to pronounce in English.

I also woulda likes a more copper/burnt orange with forest green and light blue.

But yeah everyone is up in arms about the nickname, did not imagine this kind of negative feedback. It's becoming a pretty big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

People really think a mouthful like University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley is better than, say, Rio Grande University?

I don't know if it's arrogance or just plain clulessness, but the naming conventions of these state university systems is confusing and all sorts of idiotic. Why not just let these schools form their own identities rather than sticking them with names that will always brand them as second-rate?

Because Texas has better cachet than any reference to the Rio Grande.

Outside of the Lone Star State though, "Texas" means Austin, or maybe College Station in some circles. Anything with a hyphen or a 5-letter abbreviation is going to get questions like "Is that a community college?"

That doesn't matter to the Texan mindset.

Thanks for speaking for all of us.

newsig.jpg

People really think a mouthful like University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley is better than, say, Rio Grande University?

I don't know if it's arrogance or just plain clulessness, but the naming conventions of these state university systems is confusing and all sorts of idiotic. Why not just let these schools form their own identities rather than sticking them with names that will always brand them as second-rate?

Because Texas has better cachet than any reference to the Rio Grande.

Outside of the Lone Star State though, "Texas" means Austin, or maybe College Station in some circles. Anything with a hyphen or a 5-letter abbreviation is going to get questions like "Is that a community college?"

That doesn't matter to the Texan mindset.

Thanks for speaking for all of us.

He has a point though... Texas is the only state I've ever been to where I saw the state flag more than the US flag. Are you really prepared to argue that anyone has a more insane amount of pride in their state than Texans do?

He has a point though... Texas is the only state I've ever been to where I saw the state flag more than the US flag. Are you really prepared to argue that anyone has a more insane amount of pride in their state than Texans do?

That's true. Nobody died to liberate Wisconsin.

LehQRaC.png

Google "Quebec Act" and get back to me on that. :)

Yeah, that's such a celebrated and well-known episode, full of verve and dash!

Remember the Alamo?

p4Ut2be.png

Remember the Alamo?

The evil Mexicans wouldn't let the Texans own slaves.

Oh wait, that doesn't fit in the Texan as uber-patriot meta-narrative. Sorry.

Also I live an hour north of El Paso now, so I am a little familiar with the Texan mindset.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Remember the Alamo?

Also I live an hour north of El Paso now, so I am a little familiar with the Texan mindset.

LOL, pretty general statement. And we're aware of the slavery issue as it is actually taught in our history. I'm a lifelong Texas resident so please tell me what my mindset is.

Just letting you know now, you guys are getting waaaaay off topic, here.

Orange, green, and blue.... that's going to be an interesting color combo.

1761649_f260.jpg1758435_f260.jpg1761643_f260.jpg

I just realized where ive seen this color combo before

Florida_Gators2.jpg

That could work. Let's see it on a uniform, though.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

How does living in the New Mexico desert help you get familiar with the Texan mindset? I don't even think most people consider El Paso to be Texas. Sure the Texas flag flies in that city, but it might as well be a world away from Houston, Dallas and especially East Texas.

• 2 months later...

I guess someone else beat me to it so I will end this thread. As posted by Luke_Groundrunner, the logos for UTRGV are official. Continue the discussion here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/102250-logos-unveiled-today-university-of-texas-rio-grande-valley-utrgv-athletics/

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/5639/UTRGV_Vaqueros/

6361_utrgv_vaqueros-primary-2015.png

Archived