Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

Just for fun, in a slight alteration to draft picks, injuries, timelines, etc., the sports world could be changed dramatically.

For example, if Michael Jordan hadn't come out of retirement in 1996-97, the Utah Jazz would probably have 2 titles. Likewise, if he hadn't retired at all, Houston wouldn't have any, and the Bulls most likely would have won 8 straight.

If Eric Lindros had accepted to play for the Quebec Nordiques, the trade with the Flyers wouldn't have happened and the 90s powerhouse Colorado Avalanche wouldn't have existed to the extent it did.

sig.png

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a What if, in 1988 the Orioles were reportidly on the verge of trading Cal Ripken Jr. to the Mets for Howard Johnson, Gregg Jeffries and David West at the trade deadline

The Mets refused to part with Jeffries,

Would the streak have continued?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Thats the most importnat part to me and Gregg Jeffries would have not torn the team apart either, thinking he was God's gift to baseball and being a spy on what his teammates were doing off the field to GM Frank Cashen.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What if instead of the New York Giants joining the Brooklyn Dodgers in the move to California, it was the Washington Senators?

What if the Redskins DIDN'T trade up to the #2 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft?

*ESPN 30 for 30 Voice* What if I told you, the Boz really didn't exist?

Just for fun, in a slight alteration to draft picks, injuries, timelines, etc., the sports world could be changed dramatically.

For example, if Michael Jordan hadn't come out of retirement in 1996-97, the Utah Jazz would probably have 2 titles. Likewise, if he hadn't retired at all, Houston wouldn't have any, and the Bulls most likely would have won 8 straight.

If Eric Lindros had accepted to play for the Quebec Nordiques, the trade with the Flyers wouldn't have happened and the 90s powerhouse Colorado Avalanche wouldn't have existed to the extent it did.

What if the 1998-99 NBA lockout never happened?

The Utah Jazz may have had 3 titles if not for the lockout and Michael Jordon. A 50-game season can wear down the best of well-seasoned teams. It was quite a perfect storm IMO.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I think the biggest NBA 'what if' would have to be What If Portland, or Houston for that matter, took Jordan over Bowie or Olajuwon. I think it would've changed the course of NBA history. Jordan goes to Houston, Olajuwon to Portland.

Another one would be what if Kobe had stayed in Charlotte. It may have even impacted them staying in town.

sig.png

In 1973, the idea of building a 13,000-16,000 geodistic dome arena on the site of the former American Locomotive plant in Schenectady NY was put to the city council. Talk of professional sports coming to the city included an American Basketball Association team, Tri-City Comets. Plans were for there to have ice as well, with the arena, Wade Lupe Memorial Coliseum, having an American Hockey League team, or even a World Hockey Association. Those plans fell through, because of in-fighting between the council and the mayor: The council had one idea of how to pay for it and who to be the constructor while the mayor had his own plans, including have a relative's construction company being the lead.

The "What if" would have been: How would the 1974-75 ABA have looked. Would the team make it to the merger, or would they have merged with the Buffalo Braves?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

There's many of these in NHL that I often think about.

1. What if the next six included Baltimore instead of Philadelphia as originally planned. Do the Flyers simple become a 70's expansion club?

2. If the above happens do we see the Captials still join the league?

3. What if the Cleveland Barons were a hit, do we ever see the expansion Blue Jackets?

4. On that note what if the Seals don't trade the pick that would be Guy Laflueur? Does the team find success and never leave, which would mean no San Jose Sharks. Perhaps a renaming as the San Jose Seals years later?

5. What if the Devils did move to Nashville in the mid nineties, who becomes the 4th of the final 4 expansion teams?

6. Lastly what if True North purchases the Coyotes in 2009 (or 2010 may have my year off) as they nearly did. What happens a year later when the Thrashers are booted by Atlanta Spirit? Do we perhaps have the Nordiques entering their third season this year?

untitled-6.jpg

There's many of these in NHL that I often think about.

1. What if the next six included Baltimore instead of Philadelphia as originally planned. Do the Flyers simple become a 70's expansion club? Yes, I think a Philly team would be inevitable, but the Broad Street Bullies would be winning cups in Baltimore in 74 and 75.

2. If the above happens do we see the Captials still join the league? Doubtful. That expansion would probably just go to Philly.

3. What if the Cleveland Barons were a hit, do we ever see the expansion Blue Jackets? It probably sparks hockey popularity Ohio-wide, and either Columbus or Cincinnati get a team down the road.

4. On that note what if the Seals don't trade the pick that would be Guy Laflueur? Does the team find success and never leave, which would mean no San Jose Sharks. Perhaps a renaming as the San Jose Seals years later? I would guess yes.

5. What if the Devils did move to Nashville in the mid nineties, who becomes the 4th of the final 4 expansion teams? If the Devils hadn't won the cup in 95, they're goners for sure. The fourth expansion team goes somewhere else- Seattle? Portland? Houston?

6. Lastly what if True North purchases the Coyotes in 2009 (or 2010 may have my year off) as they nearly did. What happens a year later when the Thrashers are booted by Atlanta Spirit? Do we perhaps have the Nordiques entering their third season this year? Definitely. The Thrashers would've had to go somewhere. QC was really the only viable option at the time.

sig.png

What if Len Bias didn't make the moronic decision of doing drugs?

FTFY

As for my “What if…moment": What if Uwe Krupp didn't score in double overtime in game 4 of the 1996 Stanley Cup Finals? Even though Colorado had dominated that series, does the Finals momentum change if say, Scott Melanby scored for the Panthers? Does Florida pull off more playoff magic and even the Series to game 7? Who wins that game? Do the Red Wings and Avalanche still form one of the greatest rivalries in NHL history? Does Florida still have to deal with the attendance issues they currently face? Does John Vanbiesbrouk get Hall of Fame consideration? Does the entire landscape of the NHL change?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

What if...

...at least one of the previous Los Angeles NFL teams before 1995 wasn't owned by Georgia Frontiere or Al Davis?

...either (1) the NFL expanded to St. Louis and Baltimore instead of Charlotte and Jacksonville?

...or (2) the Rams were unable to find a stadium in St. Louis and instead moved to Baltimore?

...the Colts moved to Phoenix instead of Indianapolis?

...the Browns were able to keep their name upon moving to Baltimore?

...the Indians or White Sox moved to Seattle?

...the White Sox moved to St. Petersberg?

...the Pirates moved to Denver?

...the Patriots moved to St. Louis?

...the Blues moved to Saskatoon?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

What if the Vancouver Grizzlies drafted Steve Nash in 1996?

I think there would be a chance that the Grizzlies would still be in Vancouver today. Same with Kobe and the original Hornets.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived