Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

What if the Houston Oilers did indeed knock on the door, beat on the door, and then kick the SOB in against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game? Big Earl "Skoal, brother" Campbell gets more than a handful of yards in the AFC title game and the Oilers go on to disrupt the Steelers dynasty? If they would've been able to beat Pittsburgh, there's a solid chance they win at least one Super Bowl. Bum Phillips would have been in Houston until he decided to retire, and the Oilers would definitely still be in Houston, in my opinion, in spite of having the worst owner in football. Luv ya blue.

Would Nashville have ever been awarded a team via expansion?

Sorry, but Art Modell had to have the title of worst owner in football. Speaking of expansion, I recently watched A Football Life: Walter Payton on NFL Network and towards the end they talked about how Sweetness, along with a group of other investors, tried to get St. Louis a football team, before the group fell apart and the NFL decided to expand instead to Jacksonville and Carolina. My question is: What would the repercussions have been if St. Louis had been awarded one of those expansion teams? Do the Rams stay in Los Angeles? Do they win a Super Bowl? Does the "Greatest Show on Turf" still come together? Would Mr. Payton have been a good team owner for St. Louis, at least before his health problems set in? Would we view his legacy differently?

I read that Jacksonville almost gave up on trying to get an expansion team sometime in the summer of 93, but decided to keep going. What if they gave up? Who gets the other team? St. Louis or Baltimore? Or, since Tags had bias against Baltimore, does Memphis come back into the fray?

Baltimore by default. St. Louis' ownership group collapsing IIRC was a result of the fundamental makeup of the group, so that seems inevitable.

I'm not sure if Memphis' plans involved replacing the Liberty Bowl, and if they didn't, that puts them behind Baltimore.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Jerry Jones never GM'd a day in his life.

the cowboys might have won more super bowls.

Jimmy doesn't leave after SB XXVIII, they most likely dispatch San Fran in Candlestick the next year and embarrass an overmatched San Diego team (no offense to Junior Seau who honestly deserved a SB ring) and then frustrate Favre in Texas Stadium and win their 4th straight SB against Pittsburgh in Tempe.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

What if the Giants had lost in the 2007-08 NFL Playoffs Wild Card Game to Tampa Bay, and the Bucs go to Dallas?

Who wins SB 42?

It would probably be the matchup everyone was anticipating heading into those playoffs; Green Bay @ Dallas.

I think Dallas would win since they beat Green Bay that season and Favre never won in Texas Stadium (I think he went 0-8/0-9 or something).

Would Dallas beat the undefeated Patriots? I'm not sure. I think Brady and the Pats would've capped off an undefeated season in Glendale.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Been doing some random research and came across some articles from about 1977-83 about the American League (and later the NL) shifting to three divisions.

Here's one from '77 with a WI for expansion to Washington and New Orleans... http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19770324&id=QwBaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EksNAAAAIBAJ&pg=7130%2C4323870

Here's one from '78 WITH specific alignments floated: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19781207&id=AC9UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OY0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5940%2C1336592

AL

East - Boston, New York, Baltimore, Toronto

Central - Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee (I'd probably kick Minnesota over here too for a 5-5-4 instead of a 6-4-4 balance)

West - Minnesota, KC, Texas, Seattle, Oakland, California

NL

East - Montreal, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh

Central - Cincy, Chicago, Atlanta, St. Louis

West - Los Angeles, San Franciso, San Diego, Houston

Late '81 (Winter Meetings were a popular place to discuss) - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19811211&id=CvVVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WuIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3299%2C2844450

What if when the original Hornets moved to New Orleans they had a Browns/Ravens type Deal, where the 2005 Charlotte expansion NBA team would be known as the Hornets and retained team history and stuff (basically what they have now, but a decade earlier)? What would the New Orleans franchise be known as, if not Pelicans?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

What if the Kansas City Kings had been successful in purchasing the Scouts in May of '76? From what I could tell, they were trying to use to purchase to leverage for some lease concessions at Kemper Arena, but the chatter died down after a couple of weeks when the city said no dice.

I'm guessing the Scouts would have had to play some games at the American Royal after the roof collapsed in Kemper in '79, assuming the franchise purchase didn't first drag down both franchises into oblivion by then.

What if George Argyros had gotten his way in 1987 and drafted Mike Harkey with the #1 overall pick, leaving Ken Griffey Jr. available for the Pirates to pick at #2?

The Pirates unquestionably would have found some way to **** it up.

What if the Houston Oilers did indeed knock on the door, beat on the door, and then kick the SOB in against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game? Big Earl "Skoal, brother" Campbell gets more than a handful of yards in the AFC title game and the Oilers go on to disrupt the Steelers dynasty? If they would've been able to beat Pittsburgh, there's a solid chance they win at least one Super Bowl. Bum Phillips would have been in Houston until he decided to retire, and the Oilers would definitely still be in Houston, in my opinion, in spite of having the worst owner in football. Luv ya blue.

Would Nashville have ever been awarded a team via expansion?

Sorry, but Art Modell had to have the title of worst owner in football. Speaking of expansion, I recently watched A Football Life: Walter Payton on NFL Network and towards the end they talked about how Sweetness, along with a group of other investors, tried to get St. Louis a football team, before the group fell apart and the NFL decided to expand instead to Jacksonville and Carolina. My question is: What would the repercussions have been if St. Louis had been awarded one of those expansion teams? Do the Rams stay in Los Angeles? Do they win a Super Bowl? Does the "Greatest Show on Turf" still come together? Would Mr. Payton have been a good team owner for St. Louis, at least before his health problems set in? Would we view his legacy differently?

I read that Jacksonville almost gave up on trying to get an expansion team sometime in the summer of 93, but decided to keep going. What if they gave up? Who gets the other team? St. Louis or Baltimore? Or, since Tags had bias against Baltimore, does Memphis come back into the fray?

Yeah, it would've been the Baltimore Bombers. Once Charlotte was awarded the Panthers, speculation was wild that Baltimore was the choice but for some reason couldn't get the votes. When Jacksonville was announced, virtually everyone (other than those in Wayne Weaver's inner circle) did a collective "WTF?"

nav-logo.png

NFL Europe, 1975 (!) Six teams, already named...

Istanbul Conquerers

Munich Lions

Berlin Bears

Rome Gladiators

Vienna Lippezaners

Barcelona Almovogeres

Further searching reveals four pre-selected expansion teams:

Paris Lafayettes

Copenhagen Vikings

Rotterdam Flying Dutchmen

Milan Centurions

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19740608&id=Y4geAAAAIBAJ&sjid=eMwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=830,2802298

Wire service piece in the Daytona Beach Morning Journal, June 8, 1974... the other briefs are interesting too...

OhYnpZx.jpg

So... what if the WFL never formed and this league was able to get off the ground?

Found a research article on it... http://profootballresearchers.com/archives/Website_Files/Coffin_Corner/27-06-1101.pdf%C2'>

What if the ABA Floridians had moved to Albuquerque or Omaha in 1972? http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1734&dat=19720225&id=_t8bAAAAIBAJ&sjid=sFEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5273,4055424

Omaha would have influenced the coming situation with the Royals/Kings. Omaha's arena was bigger (9,300 to about 7,300), and though they had fewer games in the Kings' hyphenated era, their crowds were better as well. Perhaps the Kings would have paired with St. Louis or Wichita...

Re. the Edmonton Oilers (btw, can anyone tell/show me how to include someone's post when I reply them?? I'm clicking 'Reply' & yet I have to keep mentioning who I'm replying to instead of just pasting it...

That Oilers core would've stayed through the early 90's for sure, Paul Coffey might've even stuck around, ppl sometimes forget he walked earlier.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Re. the Edmonton Oilers (btw, can anyone tell/show me how to include someone's post when I reply them?? I'm clicking 'Reply' & yet I have to keep mentioning who I'm replying to instead of just pasting it...

That Oilers core would've stayed through the early 90's for sure, Paul Coffey might've even stuck around, ppl sometimes forget he walked earlier.

make sure you hit quote, not reply.

think of it this way: You REPLY to a thread, but QUOTE a poster

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

NFL Europe, 1975 (!) Six teams, already named...

Istanbul Conquerers

Munich Lions

Berlin Bears

Rome Gladiators

Vienna Lippezaners

Barcelona Almovogeres

Further searching reveals four pre-selected expansion teams:

Paris Lafayettes

Copenhagen Vikings

Rotterdam Flying Dutchmen

Milan Centurions

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19740608&id=Y4geAAAAIBAJ&sjid=eMwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=830,2802298

Wire service piece in the Daytona Beach Morning Journal, June 8, 1974... the other briefs are interesting too...

OhYnpZx.jpg

So... what if the WFL never formed and this league was able to get off the ground?

Found a research article on it...

Uni related piece in that article; the Jazz were supposed to wear gold jerseys?

Archived