Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DnBronc said:

According to this video (around the 5:44 mark), the Houston Aeros were close to merging with the Colorado Rockies in 1978 (with the team playing in Houston), but the deal fell through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QcNr87smA

that would have been interesting to see (would the Aeros still be in Houston today or move).  would also add, what if the Aeros didn't fold and were around in 1979.  would they have been one of the 4 teams to join the NHL.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

that would have been interesting to see (would the Aeros still be in Houston today or move).  would also add, what if the Aeros didn't fold and were around in 1979.  would they have been one of the 4 teams to join the NHL.  

I think the Aeros would have had a better chance to make it than the Stingers or the Birmingham Bulls (if they were still around in 79).They were one of the league's most successful teams. And, taking five teams would have put the NHL at an even 22. 

I also think that the Aeros would still exist today if that merger took place with the Rockies. Houston isn't a bad hockey market.

22 hours ago, DnBronc said:

According to this video (around the 5:44 mark), the Houston Aeros were close to merging with the Colorado Rockies in 1978 (with the team playing in Houston), but the deal fell through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QcNr87smA

maybe it could have been the Colorado Aeros (would have been interesting).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 4 weeks later...

What if the 2015 Jets had made the playoffs over the Steelers?

Remember, that whole Cincy/Pittsburgh WC playoff debacle never would have happened had the Jets made it. (Given how the season played out, if LeVeon Bell does not score on the final play on MNF vs the Chargers and everything else is the same)

i don't think a hypothetical Jets/Bengals WC game goes the way of that Pittsburgh game (lack of bad blood) and probably play a more disciplined game against a completely different opponent.

Given how shaky the AFC was that year, it would have been interesting to see how things go.

with a playoff win or more, does Ryan Fitzpatrick still do that whole holdout thing if his season has a happier ending beyond Buffalo week 17?

could the Jets have maybe beaten Denver with no offense or a MASH unit New England?

or what if the Bengals get that playoff monkey off their back? Dalton IIRC was going to return the next game had they won. And hey, how might we view Marvin Lewis had that happened?

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2017 at 5:29 AM, SabresRule7361 said:

What if the 2015 Jets had made the playoffs over the Steelers?

Remember, that whole Cincy/Pittsburgh WC playoff debacle never would have happened had the Jets made it. (Given how the season played out, if LeVeon Bell does not score on the final play on MNF vs the Chargers and everything else is the same)

i don't think a hypothetical Jets/Bengals WC game goes the way of that Pittsburgh game (lack of bad blood) and probably play a more disciplined game against a completely different opponent.

Given how shaky the AFC was that year, it would have been interesting to see how things go.

with a playoff win or more, does Ryan Fitzpatrick still do that whole holdout thing if his season has a happier ending beyond Buffalo week 17?

could the Jets have maybe beaten Denver with no offense or a MASH unit New England?

or what if the Bengals get that playoff monkey off their back? Dalton IIRC was going to return the next game had they won. And hey, how might we view Marvin Lewis had that happened?

In this scenario, I see the Bengals pulling out a close one over the Jets, and that sends them to New England (and KC to Denver). KC won in Denver earlier that year, but I don't see them winning there again (especially without Justin Houston). I also don't see the undisciplined Bengals winning in NE, either. 

That sends NE to Denver, where they still lose, and the Broncos still go on to the SB and win it. 

I have another NFL WI: What if the Browns decide not to make that trade with Atlanta, and they select Julio Jones sixth overall in the 2011 draft? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 4:38 PM, Jacobseye said:

What if the 2011 NFL Lockout led to a cancellation of the entire season?

Good question. I was just thinking about how that may affect the 2012 draft. You probably see the 2011 draft order used again since there was no season. That means that Carolina and Denver pick 1 and 2 for the second straight year, and the Broncos may end up swapping picks with Carolina so they can get Luck.

A little potential “domino effect” I thought about:

If Jordan stays retired, does Orlando go back to the Finals? 

If they do, do they win a title?

If they do, does Shaq stay?

If Shaq stays, what happens to the Lakers?

I’m not really sure on all that, but it’s a fun one to think up. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

11 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

A little potential “domino effect” I thought about:

If Jordan stays retired, does Orlando go back to the Finals? 

If they do, do they win a title?

If they do, does Shaq stay?

If Shaq stays, what happens to the Lakers?

I’m not really sure on all that, but it’s a fun one to think up. 

Yes, no, no, still 3-peat (maybe more). Jazz get 2 because of no Jordan. Maybe the Sonics get one as well, which probably stops the move.

ExJworW.png

Here’s a scary one for Ravens fans. What if Cundiff nails the FG attempt against the Pats in the 2011 playoffs? Assuming he doesn’t shank another in OT, the Ravens probably don’t cut him in the offseason, and probably don’t sign one of the best kickers in the league as an UDFA prior to the 2012 season, Justin Tucker. 

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Here’s a scary one for Ravens fans. What if Cundiff nails the FG attempt against the Pats in the 2011 playoffs? Assuming he doesn’t shank another in OT, the Ravens probably don’t cut him in the offseason, and probably don’t sign one of the best kickers in the league as an UDFA prior to the 2012 season, Justin Tucker. 

If they win that game (and the SB), not only do they not have Tucker in 2012, they don't have Ray Lewis anymore, either. As a result, the Broncos end up winning the SB the next year.

17 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

i would say the Browns would have been good (maybe great).  

Would the Browns have won the first Super Bowl? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 hours ago, PackMan said:

I'm considering doing an alternate history thread in Sports Fan Fiction where the IHL (the old minor league) becomes a major league and competes with the NHL. Thoughts?

Chicago Wolves, Detroit Vipers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Gulls, Phoenix Roadrunners, Manitoba Moose, Quebec Rafales, Cleveland Lumberjacks, Kansas City Blades and Orlando Solar Bears? 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

13 minutes ago, Needschat said:

Chicago Wolves, Detroit Vipers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Gulls, Phoenix Roadrunners, Manitoba Moose, Quebec Rafales, Cleveland Lumberjacks, Kansas City Blades and Orlando Solar Bears? 

Yes, that IHL. Don't forget the Fort Wayne Komets, Long Beach Ice Dogs among others

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

Archived