tigerslionspistonshabs

Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

Can someone please tell me what's the deal with McSorley and his curved stick? I have no idea what's wrong with it and how it has planted a curse on Canadian teams.

Lots of players tried using sticks with ridiculous curves in them so the NHL limited them to 3/4 of an inch. Rumor has it that the some of the Canadiens training staff got into the Kings locker room and saw which players used sticks with illegal curves. Again that's just a rumor I've heard through the grapevine. Why McSorley would need a curve like that, I have no idea...

I believe it was to match the contour of a human skull, specifically that of Donald Brashear.

MLB:

4. What if Bill Veeck had been able to move the St. Louis Browns to Milwaukee for 1953, instead of the Boston Braves?

In my scenario where I actually played this out, the Browns revert to their original Milwaukee Brewers identity and remain there to this day.

From there, one of two things happen:

-The Braves move to California with the Dodgers, and take root in San Francisco. This leads to either (a.) A NL expansion team in Minnesota, rather than New York, or (b.) the Giants moving to Minnesota themselves.

-The Braves still eventually end up in Atlanta, but with a layover in Baltimore rather than Milwaukee.

MLB:

4. What if Bill Veeck had been able to move the St. Louis Browns to Milwaukee for 1953, instead of the Boston Braves?

In my scenario where I actually played this out, the Browns revert to their original Milwaukee Brewers identity and remain there to this day.

-The Braves move to California with the Dodgers, and take root in San Francisco. This leads to either (a.) A NL expansion team in Minnesota, rather than New York, or (b.) the Giants moving to Minnesota themselves.

-The Braves still eventually end up in Atlanta, but with a layover in Baltimore rather than Milwaukee.

In a world where the Buffalo Bills are taken into the NFL from the AAFC in 1950 instead of the Baltimore Colts (which should have happened because they were more successful and had better fan support), maybe the Braves end up in Kansas City by 1955, are purchased by Charlie Finley, and end up in Oakland by 1968.

Then, if the Senators beat O'Malley to the punch, they go to LA (and are re-named the Angels), and the A's go to San Fran by 1957.

As for the Dodgers, they settle for Shea Stadium, while the Giants, sick of the Polo Grounds, go to Minneapolis like they originally planned.

In a world where the Buffalo Bills are taken into the NFL from the AAFC in 1950 instead of the Baltimore Colts (which should have happened because they were more successful and had better fan support), maybe the Braves end up in Kansas City by 1955, are purchased by Charlie Finley, and end up in Oakland by 1968.

In my scenario, the fact that Bill Veeck already owns the Browns/Brewers leaves the White Sox open for purchase. Charley O, a native of Northwest Indiana who already has business interests in Chicago, purchases the Sox and not the A's. They stay in Chicago, but their uniforms get the famous Charlie O treatment.

MLB:

I can see the Minnesota Giants/San Francisco Braves(Warriors?) scenario unfolding. The Baltimore/Atlanta Braves though, not so much. IIRC, the guy who owned the Braves (Perini?) at the time of the move chose Milwaukee in part because he already held rights to the territory via the minor league club. That wouldn't have been the case in Baltimore, in which case a buyout (one he couldn't afford) would be necessary.

In my scenario, the fact that Bill Veeck already owns the Browns/Brewers leaves the White Sox open for purchase. Charley O, a native of Northwest Indiana who already has business interests in Chicago, purchases the Sox and not the A's. They stay in Chicago, but their uniforms get the famous Charlie O treatment.

Man, you took my 'what if' and made it a horror movie! The Sox getting the Charlie O treatment? <shudders>

I can see the Minnesota Giants/San Francisco Braves(Warriors?) scenario unfolding.

Man, you took my 'what if' and made it a horror movie! The Sox getting the Charlie O treatment? <shudders>

In my universe, the Braves dusted off the old San Francisco Seals identity in the early 1970s.

And no way would the Sox in kelly green and gold be more of a nightmare than this:

tb_uniforms_%2776whitesox.jpg

What if the ref's hadn't cheated during the 2001 NBA Western Conference Finals? Would Sac-Town have a chamionship?

You're a year off. The Kings didn't even make it that far in 2001.

I watched a copy of the 1989 NFL Draft recently, and they said that the Pats tried to trade three #1 picks (and maybe even a player) for the #1 overall pick and the right to get Troy Aikman.

Also, in 1990, Jimmy Johnson's original target was Baylor DE/OLB James Francis, not Emmitt Smith. If the Bengals didn't take him, he would have moved up with Kansas City and drafted James with the next pick.

After that failed, Emmitt wasn't even his highest rated back. He had Rodney Hampton and Steve Broussard rated higher, but a scout named Yaworski pleaded with him to take Smith because he had excellent vision. The rest is history.

What if Barry Sanders would've gotten traded and not retired? There were rumors of Sanders-to-Miami...would Marino and Sanders have a Superbowl ring? Sanders more than likely would've shattered Payton's record.

What if the ref's hadn't cheated during the 2001 NBA Western Conference Finals? Would Sac-Town have a chamionship?

You're right.... my bad. Always got mixed up during the Lakers/Kings runs..... :P

You're right.... my bad. Always got mixed up during the Lakers/Kings runs..... :P

The Kings and Lakers met three straight times in the early 2000s.

-2000 West Quarterfinals. Lakers win series 3-2 (best-of-5 in those days), is remembered as the series where Phil Jackson used "American History X" references to denigrate the Kings.

-2001 West Semifinals. Lakers sweep series 4-0, en route to a 15-1 postseason mark. Jason Williams was traded in the offseason for Mike Bibby.

-2002 West Finals. The series the whole world knows about. Kobe's stomach poisoning, Vlade Divac's flops, Robert Horry's 3-pointer, Bibby's game-winner, Games 6 and 7. Lakers win 4-3.

What if there were no boycotts of the 1980 and 1984 Summer Olympics?

Then McDonald's would have continued their whole, "when America wins, you win" promotion to this day.

5145891953_b414693da5.jpg

Greatest Promo ever

I see that there were some USFL-style what-ifs. I have another one:

What if there was no USFL?

If there wouldn't have been, there is a good chance that the NFL would have expanded again, and Phoenix's team today would be the Firebirds, not the Cardinals.

Bart Starr was part of a group (he was going to be the HC) that was trying to bring the NFL to Phoenix 30 years ago. A man named Thomas Stoen was going to be the owner, and they had land on the Gila Indian Reservation purchased for a new team.

As for the other expansion team, maybe it would have involved the Irsay's, the Cities of Baltimore and Indianapolis, and Pete Rozelle.

Also, the drafts in 1983 and 84 would look different, especially in 1984.

What if Barry Sanders would've gotten traded and not retired? There were rumors of Sanders-to-Miami...would Marino and Sanders have a Superbowl ring? Sanders more than likely would've shattered Payton's record.

In addition to that, would Emmitt break Sanders' new record? (If he broke it that is)

Fifa World Cup 2006:

What if Francesco Totti didn't score the penalty in the 90th minute of the round of sixteen against Australia (1 - 0)? Australia played well, they could've beaten Italy in overtime.

And if that happens, who else would've become World Champion?

In that case I actually think Australia would've made it to the semifinals then. Germany would've beaten them. So Final Germany against France?

Here's some of my "what ifs"...

* What if the Suns won the coin toss in 1969 that would have granted them the #1 overall pick instead of the Bucks (which of course became Lew Alcindor [Kareem Adbul-Jabbar])? Does Kareem even spend his entire career as a Sun, or does he force the trade to the Lakers anyway?

* What if the Clippers had moved to Anaheim for good starting in the '96-97 season, as it almost happened if Donald Sterling hadn't changed his mind at the last minute?

* What if then-comissioner Larry O'Brien hadn't stripped the San Diego Clippers of Randy Smith, Kermit Washington, Kevin Kunnert, and a first-round pick as compensation to Portland for the Clips signing Bill Walton in 1979? Hell, what if Walton had been (relatively) healthly during his Clipper tenure? Do the Clippers even remain in San Diego to this day?

Here's some of my "what ifs"...

* What if the Suns won the coin toss in 1969 that would have granted them the #1 overall pick instead of the Bucks (which of course became Lew Alcindor [Kareem Adbul-Jabbar])? Does Kareem even spend his entire career as a Sun, or does he force the trade to the Lakers anyway?

* What if the Clippers had moved to Anaheim for good starting in the '96-97 season, as it almost happened if Donald Sterling hadn't changed his mind at the last minute?

* What if then-comissioner Larry O'Brien hadn't stripped the San Diego Clippers of Randy Smith, Kermit Washington, Kevin Kunnert, and a first-round pick as compensation to Portland for the Clips signing Bill Walton in 1979? Hell, what if Walton had been (relatively) healthly during his Clipper tenure? Do the Clippers even remain in San Diego to this day?

*Considering that Kareem specifically requested the Knicks or Lakers in his trade, it's obvious he wanted to be in a big market, regardless of who he was drafted by.

*The Clippers become NJ Nets West. Only maybe the LA Royals (Sac Kings) beat them to the Staples Center as the third SoCal team.

*Maybe, but I'm guessing either the Padres or Chargers wouldn't be around... which may happen anyway in the case of the latter.

MLB:

2. What if the Washington Senators move west in 1956, rather than get beat to the punch by the Dodgers and Giants?

If no other AL team joins them, baseball may have added an expansion team in San Fran. Then, the Giants move to Minny, and the Dodgers settle for Shea Stadium.

Maybe the Phily A's move straight to the Bay Area, and skip the layover in Kansas City? Ironically, such a scenario would put the A's on the other side of the Bay.

------------------------------------

Here's one... what if, as per Brett Favre's request, the Packers trade Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss before the 2007 season:

-Is the three-headed monster of Moss, Donald Driver, and Greg Jennings enough for the Packers to beat the Giants in the NFC Championship, then upset the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl?

-What becomes of the Packers QB situation when Favre finally retires? Is Matt Flynn their starter? Do they, and not the Bears, end up trading for Jay Cutler?

-Does Aaron Rodgers still go on to a HOF-worthy career with the Raiders? Or is he just another in the long string of QB prospects whose careers died in Oakland?

What if the Suns won the coin toss in 1969 that would have granted them the #1 overall pick instead of the Bucks (which of course became Lew Alcindor [Kareem Adbul-Jabbar])? Does Kareem even spend his entire career as a Sun, or does he force the trade to the Lakers anyway?

How about this: What if he signs with the ABA's New York Nets instead? I heard that he almost did.

If that happens, maybe the ABA and NBA merge a lot earlier.

As for him going to the Suns, though, I can see them going to the Finals in 1970 because they did have the Lakers down 3-1 in the playoffs without Kareem, and Jabbar did get the Bucks to the 70 East Finals in reality. Also, if the Suns are the ones who trade for the Big O instead of the Bucks, they probably win the 71 title, and maybe one more in the early to mid 70's.

Kareem may have wanted out of Phoenix, though, but maybe he stays there a little longer because it is a warmer clime than Milwaukee.

Fifa World Cup 2006:

What if Francesco Totti didn't score the penalty in the 90th minute of the round of sixteen against Australia (1 - 0)? Australia played well, they could've beaten Italy in overtime.

And if that happens, who else would've become World Champion?

In that case I actually think Australia would've made it to the semifinals then. Germany would've beaten them. So Final Germany against France?

Also: What if Mexico, you know, took Carlos Vela to the World Cup?