Discrim

I figure most of you here know of the Beanpot tournament, in which the Boston area's major college hockey teams-Boston U, Boston College, Harvard and Northeastern-square off against each other. Figured I'd put my own spin on it (it was either that, a Big Apple cluster:censored:, or the Philly schools again)...so here goes the Aussie rules Beanpot

Boston College

beanpotfootybc.png

The first choice is a fauxback design intended especially for the Beanpot. After seeing references to the College Vault damn near everywhere, I decided to see for myself. The eagle on the front, as well as the BC, I saw there and figured they would lend themselves well to the old-time look I was aiming for, paired with the West Coast Eagles' wings design (trust me, this is much simpler than what I'd go with if I wanted it to be more personalized). Given that it'd be very easy to differentiate from the other three home jumpers, the more modern-looking whites wouldn't be needed, but I threw em in for the hell of it. For anyone wondering how the hell I came to that conclusion, simple: since the back is almost entirely gold, the jumper is considered mostly gold, a color the other three schools aren't using here.

Boston University

beanpotfootybostonu.png

For BU, I was thinking hoops, but not exactly normal hoops. Not the style from the Maple Leafs' socks, either. What I decided on isn't exactly earthshaking, but it was to my liking. The black shorts are twofold: first, traditionally, home teams wore black shorts until the mid-late 70s IIRC, and second is I wasn't feeling right going with red shorts here.

Harvard

beanpotfootyharvard.png

Honestly, I had the image of a huge H making up most of the jumper in my head, and the horizontal pinstripes came to me in the process.

Northeastern

beanpotfootyneastern.png

Yes, in the same vein as AS Monaco, I went with a red/black diagonal. Then decided the red portion could use a subtle husky (it's only as visible as it is so you guys can see it, it'd be more subtle IRL)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 3 months later...

Nice job. That BC fauxback is my favorite. Northeastern looks good too.

Shoulda replied back in November, but I'm stupid :P even if it's months later, thank you, I try. Around that time, it was like every time I came on the board, the College Vault was all the rage, seemed like every other thread I'd see someone post about it...and given I never would've known about the older BC logos I used had I not been indirectly bombarded (nobody said "Scrim, you gotta check this out man," I simply kept hearing about it, kinda like that incessant 50 Shades of Grey trailer), I would've gone in a different direction than I did.

These are fantastic.

Thank you kindly. :notworthy:

The Australian Rules Beanpot concepts are a thing of beauty. How the hell did I miss this thread? LOL Boston U and Boston College are both spot on. Love the fauxback of BC but the BU hoops are a nice touch.

Thanks Gooner, and I know the feeling, actually, given that I came across a nascent NEAFL series at BigFooty that's really impressed me so far. There's a ton of great concepts there I've missed out on because of how intermittently I'm there, but the most notable highlights from what I'd seen are a rather cleverly redesigned NEAFL logo and an Ainslie tricolor that's not just another St. Kilda copy. I saw that and thought of my BU hoops treatment, as much like I was trying to tweak the normal style of hoops yet avoid being too gaudy given that it's BU, he'd clearly wanted to maintain Ainslie's tradition while at the same time making them distinct from the Saints.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived