Islanders One-Off Fisherman Jersey

TheGortonFisherman

In the Isles last year here on the Island, they've hearkened to every era on the Island, and one of the eras that is immortal in Isles history is the short era of the Fisherman. The look was new and radical, nonlinear, nontraditional, and most of all very different from what the Islanders wore for all of their existence. The Islanders have sold Fisherman era gear this year (#ZiggyPalffy) and it has sold actually very well, as throwback is the new trend. What if the Islanders were to one off a fisherman jersey for one last time? The original jerseys, IMO, were borderline train wreck but there were some unique elements in it. I decided that creating a fisherman inspired jersey would be a good course, in the hypothetical scenario.

So I went off, into my measly college level budget MS Paint with my limited graphic design skill (as a Bio major, and science-y guy) because I enjoy sports aesthetics. I drew from multiple influences with this design.

1. The initial Isles edge jerseys. They weren't classic, or fantastic, but they were unique and neat. I decided to take the numbers on the fronts (which IMO in the right design can be unique) and the idea of a yoke (not a phantom one, but used for emphasizing orange, which should be emphasized as the main secondary color). Additionally, the ends of the sleeves are orange. I feel it makes a nice contrast.

2. The actual fisherman jerseys themselves. You know how I said they had unique elements? I did like the wave stripes towards the hem. I decided to simplify the pattern and implement this aspect into the... fauxbacks? Revisions? Anyways, all of the striping on the uniform follows the white-teal-orange pattern, which I felt was the best looking order of the colors (probably because it goes lightest to darkest). One of the things that annoys me, and annoys me a bunch with the fisherman jerseys, is super inconsistent striping.

3. The "Dynasty Era". Every Islanders jersey in history post Dynasty, (besides the fisherman jerseys) pay some kind of homage to the Dynasty Era. I decided to subtly tribute this era with the presence of the 4 stripes (white, teal, orange, navy) on the right sleeve. I feel it's a fitting tribute.

Remember, I made this in paint. The graphics aren't going to be super crisp. But I hope you like the design, especially from a first time poster. Thanks all, and I hope to do some more of these.

(BTW- The font is a variation of the Miami Dolphins current font. I feel it fittingly fits the theme.)

-TheGortonFisherman

bfT2tvB.png?1

A few things:

1) They WILL have a one-off jersey for warm-ups, so it'll likely be a navy practice jersey with the fisherman logo.

2) Sleeves need to match.

3) Helmet straps are either white or black.

3) For a white version, switch the order of the stripes so that you avoid a white stripe on white sleeve.

4) Download Paint.net, it's a free program that is much better than MS Paint but not quite as good as Photoshop.

5) I LOVE the idea of using the Fisherman for one GAME. Not just a warm-up. Because had the Isles not had the success in the 80s, you'd still be seeing that logo today, if not just replaced with a throwback, i.e. Buffalo.

That's a huge improvement. The biggest problem with this set, in my humble opinion, is that it's too "orange heavy." Eliminating the orange cuffs would go a long way to rectify this. Also, the front numbers are big and distracting. I would either go with a smaller font of scrap them entirely. That being said, I like the idea of the Fisherman identity being turned into something more traditional and this set is starting to look good.

That looks great! I've always thought there was a version of the fisherman logo that would have worked wonders.

I would try the away jersey with a navy blue yoke. Something about the orange one just isn't working.

That looks great! I've always thought there was a version of the fisherman logo that would have worked wonders.

I would try the away jersey with a navy blue yoke. Something about the orange one just isn't working.

Yeah, I was having color balance issues with the white. It's either too plain or too cluttered. I'll keep trying and update you guys.

Keep that C+C coming!

EDIT:

I THINK I CRACKED THE CODE TO THE WHITE UNIFORM!!! Thanks to Ruwisc for the idea of going with a navy heavy theme.

W1HhvZ0.png?1

Archived