Chicageaux

2014 NCAA Football Thread

Is this the end of an era for the Crimson Tide? Or can they bounce back next season?

They'll be good, likely the favorites to win the SEC again. They'll have a good QB in Coker. However, they won't have an easy schedule. Road games to College Station, Starkville (tough if Prescott returns), Auburn, and Athens (CHUBB). It'll be though for them to make it unscathed, but they're still Bama. Unfortunately.

Pretty sure that should have been 15 yards but okay...

Well, if you're talking about the hit on the Punter, from what I remember is that if you hit the kicking leg first it's "running into the kicker" but hitting the plant leg is the "roughing the kicker". Not that these re the only factors, but are part of the factors.

WTF? Why on Earth are you throwing long, Urban Meyer?

UF Urban Meyer loved him some running up the score.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Urban Meyer the coach at Florida when Lane Kiffin was hired at Tennessee in 2009. I forget what Kiffin said, but I think he said something to the effect of singing rocky top all night when they beat Florida (well they lost that game), but I wonder if Urban Meyer remembered. But yeah, I remember Urban Meyer pouring it on quite a few times at Florida.

The sexy pick is Oregon because they destroyed the weakest of the teams in the semifinals. If Florida State would've lost, they might be a top 10 ranked team, but I doubt it. Ohio State with a 3rd string quarterback beat Alabama and pretty much was in control of the game in the second half. I'll take the team that beat the #1 seed over the team that rolled over a weak opponent. Ohio State's 3rd string qb is as good as Mariotta, and Ohio State's defense is far superior to Florida State's. Ohio State has shown me more in going through 3 qb's than Oregon has. They've got that certain something that Oregon is missing.

Dude, you're absolutely nuts if you think Cordale Jones is as good as Marcus Mariota.

So, yeah, Mark May was talking to Urban Meyer post-game and...

B6UsyzwIYAAI6iR.jpg

If I remember correctly, wasn't Urban Meyer the coach at Florida when Lane Kiffin was hired at Tennessee in 2009. I forget what Kiffin said, but I think he said something to the effect of singing rocky top all night when they beat Florida (well they lost that game), but I wonder if Urban Meyer remembered. But yeah, I remember Urban Meyer pouring it on quite a few times at Florida.

The snively little wank made some comment about how Florida had the better talent and Alabama had the better coaching, or something to that effect. And, yeah, that didn't sit too well with Urban. The fact that Urban was a revenge seeker is one of my favorite things about him and part of the reason why his six seasons at Florida were, as a collective whole, the most fun I've ever had as a college football fan. I wish he was still on the Gator sideline but his health said it wasn't to be. Glad he's been able to manage work and life better at Ohio State.

Thing to note: under the BCS this would've been an Alabama-Florida State national championship game and a probable Alabama throttling of the Seminoles.

We're in a much better place with this playoff system. It allows some flaws in the system to get fleshed out and corrected before the biggest game is played.

Thoughts on the Big 3 games today-

Michigan State loses this game 100 times out of 100 under John L. Smith. That said, where was the flag on the horsecollar call? Would have offset the facemask penalty. Sparty is so freaking lucky. 2 blocked FG's, illegal block in the back. They needed everything to go right, and it did.

Baylor- Bryce Petty's legacy is that of a stat-stuffer who never won a big game vs. a good team. Other than TCU/Kansas State, he lost the only games that counted.

Florida State- well, quite a way for 29 straight to end.

Oregon- You have to go back to 2009 to find the last time they lost a game in which they scored 30 points in a game. That's the magic number.

Alabama- That's why they play the games on the field. Damn near everyone was conceding them the title.

Ohio State- This ain't Tresselball. 21-6 for them would have been curtains. These Buckeyes are not THOSE Buckeyes.

Baylor's not gonna recover for a long time. This loss, another big bowl defeat, losing Petty, losing the OC- TCU is gonna dominate the Big 12 next year.

The Bears are gonna be a 7-win middler next year.

Thing to note: under the BCS this would've been an Alabama-Florida State national championship game and a probable Alabama throttling of the Seminoles.

We're in a much better place with this playoff system. It allows some flaws in the system to get fleshed out and corrected before the biggest game is played.

Alabama wouldn't have beaten FSU. As we saw tonight, they're horrid in pass coverage, and (partly due to Kiffin) can have periods of the exact kind of brain-dead offense that allows FSU to sneak back in games.

My dad's an Alabama fan (I don't mind them myself), and I'd told him throught the season that Alabama's lack of pass defense and love of Amari Cooper/passing plays would come back to haunt then. Even if they had managed to slip past OSU, Oregon would've blasted them. We got the right matchup for the big game.

When Alabama tries to get fancy, they lose 95% of the time. Their over-reliance on Amari Cooper (who is highly overrated) and the passing game hurt them tonight, and Ohio State wasn't about to let them get away with their offensive ineptitude. Hell of a game.

Sorry, TCU. Ohio State belongs here.

All it really means is that OSU absolutely deserved be here and that the playoff should have a bigger field since clearly, TCU deserved to be there as we'll.

Agreed. The playoff system is so much better the BCS. It's too bad we won't get to see an Oregon-Alabama matchup but Oregon-Ohio State is going to make for a fine game.

After last night's loss by Alabama and the absolute piss poor showing by Ole Miss and Mississippi State's loss, I have one conclusion about the SEC:

The SEC are paper tigers.

Alabama was the best of the three teams in the New Year's Six games. But, up 21-6, I would of expected them to try and expand that lead and really make the game out of reach. Letting Ohio State score 28 unanswered is really uncharacteristic of the Crimson Tide. It just feels weird.

Ole Miss got blasted out of the water in the Peach Bowl. If it wasn't for the field goal in the 4th, they would been skunked by TCU.

Mississippi State might of had the best performance of the three teams, but it's kinda of hard to be good when you can't stop the run with the amount of time you had to prepare for it. Yeah, I know... it's really hard to prep for the triple option in a short amount of time... they had a month to prepare and still got drilled by it.

So will Alabama still show up in uniform next week? That'll be awkward.

After last night's loss by Alabama and the absolute piss poor showing by Ole Miss and Mississippi State's loss, I have one conclusion about the SEC:

The SEC are paper tigers.

Alabama was the best of the three teams in the New Year's Six games. But, up 21-6, I would of expected them to try and expand that lead and really make the game out of reach. Letting Ohio State score 28 unanswered is really uncharacteristic of the Crimson Tide. It just feels weird.

Ole Miss got blasted out of the water in the Peach Bowl. If it wasn't for the field goal in the 4th, they would been skunked by TCU.

Mississippi State might of had the best performance of the three teams, but it's kinda of hard to be good when you can't stop the run with the amount of time you had to prepare for it. Yeah, I know... it's really hard to prep for the triple option in a short amount of time... they had a month to prepare and still got drilled by it.

Give credit to the Buckeyes. Ohio State WON that game. Alabama didn't lose it.

That's the thing. You can cut it either way: Ohio State won the game or Alabama blew it.

Either way, it's very uncharacteristic of a Saban lead team to have this kind of let down.

All four teams in the CFP this year deserved to be in it. I definitely think TCU and Baylor had strong cases as well. TCU a lot more than Baylor, but Baylor still has a solid case. If the playoff would have been 6 teams this year, it would have been perfect. Next year it may only be down to 5 teams. Or maybe 7. I think 4 teams is great right now. Controversy just makes it all more exciting :P

All four teams in the CFP this year deserved to be in it. I definitely think TCU and Baylor had strong cases as well. TCU a lot more than Baylor, but Baylor still has a solid case. If the playoff would have been 6 teams this year, it would have been perfect. Next year it may only be down to 5 teams. Or maybe 7. I think 4 teams is great right now. Controversy just makes it all more exciting :P

That's a key...This year, there are 6 I'd like to see get a shot. Michigan State is probably a top-6 team, but they lost to Oregon and MSU so that's kinda their tourney right there. Anyway, next year there may be a clear-cut to four...or maybe 5, 7, 8, or even only three that really obviously deserve a shot. Unfortunately, we have to settle on a format before the season, and this already seems to be an improvement over the BcS.

The BcS had the same problem. Sometimes there were two undefeated teams and it was an obvious enough choice. Usually it was one undefeated team and a few one-loss teams. As was pointed out above, the BCS would have given us yesterday's two losers (and I would have agreed with the choice).

I had a thought: If Oregon blows out Ohio State, can you really say that a team didn't deserve to be in? Maybe they were just that good.

The two Big Ten Championship Game participants are both going to lose by over 20 today.

We'll see.

Yawn. Who honestly didn't see this game as an Alabama blowout? I Wanna say that TCU would've been a better choice than OSU, but I doubt it. Oregon Bama is gonna be one helluva national title game.

Or it's gonna be another Bama blowout.

Um...