Chicageaux

2014 NCAA Football Thread

Very good day for the Big Ten yesterday, but overall, what I think what we learned from this bowl season is that the landscape is a lot more even across the Power 5 than we thought. The SEC went 2-1 against the "inferior" B1G. The Big 12 big guns both won big and got embarrassed and the same for the ACC.

Anyone else remember when ESPN wrote off the B1G as totally irrelevant in Week 1? Bwahahaaha, morons.

Tom Luginbill proclaimed on his Twitter feed that a 2-loss SEC team should make it into the playoff over an undefeated B1G Champ. Enjoy not making to the SECond round of the playoffs, Alabama!

Looking back on the season so far, all the frustration I felt watching Florida State win games they should have lost through some combination of fortuitous bounces, blown calls, missed FGs, and poor coaching by their opponents and having to listen to their fans with the "all we do is win" and their general obnoxiousness (not on the forums, just in my everyday life) was completely worth it to see them get destroyed in the Rose Bowl. That game was perfect... It had teammates blocking each other, Jameis Winston having a butt fumble type moment, FSU players showing their lack of class after the game, Oregon running up the score mostly because the Seminoles had their will to exert any effort beaten out of them by the end.

This is the first time since the 2006 Rose Bowl that there isn't a SEC team to determine a national championship and that's a good thing. (dance)

Very good day for the Big Ten yesterday, but overall, what I think what we learned from this bowl season is that the landscape is a lot more even across the Power 5 than we thought. The SEC went 2-1 against the "inferior" B1G. The Big 12 big guns both won big and got embarrassed and the same for the ACC.

1-2 actually. Alas, leave it to Minnesota to be the only one of those three B1G teams to misfire.

This is the first time since the 2006 Rose Bowl that there isn't a SEC team to determine a national championship and that's a good thing. (dance)

Absolutely agreed, raysfan. The purpose of the playoff was to determine on the field which team is the best, instead of relying on biased humans to pick the top two teams, and while I'm not sure 4 teams is a large enough pool to really judge, at least now the SEC can't obtusely declare that it is the unchallenged-and-unchallengeable, always-the-best conference in the FBS. That kind of hubris is just begging for an epic fall at some point.

Saw one sportswriter refer to the SEC West as a rotten log, that had just been kicked in by Ohio State, Wisconsin, et. al., and revealed to be the termite mound it actually was.

:lol:

sec-simpsons.jpg

Lots and lots of ESPN executives are in tears right now over not getting their dream National Championship Game matchup ('Bama vs. Jameis). Kind of fitting that both the inaugural CFP Semifinals produce victories towards the morally-better school in each matchup.

If you really think that Oregon and Ohio State are "morally-better" than Alabama or FSU, you're more delusional than people around here give you credit for. The only "moral" differences between these schools are a.) who got caught and b.) their uniforms. You don't get to this level of college football by being as pure as the driven snow.

When Alabama tries to get fancy, they lose 95% of the time. Their over-reliance on Amari Cooper (who is highly overrated) and the passing game hurt them tonight, and Ohio State wasn't about to let them get away with their offensive ineptitude. Hell of a game.

Sorry, TCU. Ohio State belongs here.

All it really means is that OSU absolutely deserved be here and that the playoff should have a bigger field since clearly, TCU deserved to be there as we'll.

I'd rather have one team too few than three too many. The playoff is perfect as is. Who knows? Maybe FSU's performance means that next year the committee goes with the four best teams without regard to who's undefeated, etc. The Noles certainly made TCU's case this season.

So will Alabama still show up in uniform next week? That'll be awkward.

Cracked me up. Well done.

That's the thing. You can cut it either way: Ohio State won the game or Alabama blew it.

This may come across like I'm being a homer, but you can't "cut it either way." There's no two ways about it, the Buckeyes straight up beat Alabama. Ohio State was the better team last night. Period.

Ohio State had 537 yards to Alabama's 408. 281 rushing yards to 170. They were 10 of 18 on third down. Alabama was 2 for 13.

That's not Alabama blowing it. That's Ohio State winning. Can't cut that two ways.

The funniest part to me is everybody on espen is stunned right now. Finebaum sounded wounded by the conference's poor performance yesterday. They shouldn't be stunned though. Alabama hasn't been that good this season. The SEC hasn't been that good this season. The worldwide leader owns and controls the SEC Network. It is in their self-interest to prop up the SEC above the other conferences and they're seriously brainwashed. It's a conflict of interest that borders on damaging the integrity of the sport, if you ask me. For as long as they're involved with the SEC network the SEC teams will get preferential treatment on the largest and most powerful sports network.

That's the thing. You can cut it either way: Ohio State won the game or Alabama blew it.

This may come across like I'm being a homer, but you can't "cut it either way." There's no two ways about it, the Buckeyes straight up beat Alabama. Ohio State was the better team last night. Period.

Agree wholeheartedly. The media saying Alabama just blew it is their feeble attempt to (STILL!) not legitimize the Buckeyes' win. It's not a case of how well Ohio State played, it's a case of Alabama having an off-day.

It's subtle, but make no mistake. ESPN has hitched their wagon to the SEC and this is just them grasping as straws trying to restore the SEC is King narrative. They'll keel over and die before they can woefully admit all their shenanigans to bill the SEC as some vastly superior Man's League is just a sham. Anyone with half a brain could have figured it out when A&M and Mizzou came into the conference and started dominating the Bubba Gumps with Big 12 rosters, but apparently ESPN is pretty thickskulled.

Good job, Ohio State. Even though I don't really like you as my in-conference competition, you stuck it in the craw of the Tuscaloosa Trailer Parkers. Well done.

Ohio State had 537 yards to Alabama's 408. 281 rushing yards to 170. They were 10 of 18 on third down. Alabama was 2 for 13.

That's not Alabama blowing it. That's Ohio State winning. Can't cut that two ways.

Exactly. This wasn't some "Ohio State put together the perfect game to pull off the upset" deal. There were times during the game last night when the Buckeyes were just bitch-slapping the :censored: out of the Tide. I was as stunned as anyone.

The funniest part to me is everybody on espen is stunned right now. Finebaum sounded wounded by the conference's poor performance yesterday. They shouldn't be stunned though. Alabama hasn't been that good this season. The SEC hasn't been that good this season. The worldwide leader owns and controls the SEC Network. It is in their self-interest to prop up the SEC above the other conferences and they're seriously brainwashed. It's a conflict of interest that borders on damaging the integrity of the sport, if you ask me. For as long as they're involved with the SEC network the SEC teams will get preferential treatment on the largest and most powerful sports network.

This is not the first place I've seen this point made. And I am starting to come around. We start the season with "SEC is best" as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not since USC was at the top of media-darling status has that not been the case. We pump 'em up. We give 'em the benefit of the doubt in the polls.

And as soon as we let four teams in, they don't win. I am not saying, none of those teams would have won in this format, but it is interesting. The year that Alabama and LSU ended up playing each other would have been a great time to see other teams involved. #1 LSU looked very beatable*.

This issue is reason enough for me to believe we are in better shape than we were with the BCS.

*That is the year that bugs me most as a Wisconsin fan...we lost two games on hail marys. I am not saying we deserved to be in that game because two losses is two losses, but I still think unhappy thoughts about those two losses. That was the year Russell Wilson played at Wisconsin and that offense was a juggernaut. They'd have beaten LSU if they'd found ways to beat OSU and MSU...but they did not. Such is that nature of college football.

Looking back on the season so far, all the frustration I felt watching Florida State win games they should have lost through some combination of fortuitous bounces, blown calls, missed FGs, and poor coaching by their opponents and having to listen to their fans with the "all we do is win" and their general obnoxiousness (not on the forums, just in my everyday life) was completely worth it to see them get destroyed in the Rose Bowl. That game was perfect... It had teammates blocking each other, Jameis Winston having a butt fumble type moment, FSU players showing their lack of class after the game, Oregon running up the score mostly because the Seminoles had their will to exert any effort beaten out of them by the end.

That really did almost make all the irritation and agita worth it, didn't it? That was so damn satisfying to see Florida State get their comeuppance all in one fell swoop. I don't think I could've tolerated Florida State repeating with a season like the one they just had. It's just...well, you try having three 'Noles brothers and be the lone Gator and see how it feels, I guess. At the end of the day, it's just sports, but this is a big deal personally and locally.

--

Also, I can't help but notice how 'red, purposefully or truthfully, downplays Ohio State at each chance. (these are gist comments; go with it) - "[Even with a 59-0 B1G-CG win], I still feel they aren't top-four", "stunned as anyone they beat Alabama", "don't expect the winner of [the Sugar Bowl] to beat Oregon". I mean, I admire the sincerity of being objective and not being blinded by homerism; it's certainly the one thing no one around here can accuse you of, but it is nonetheless amusing, and I can't help but let my cynical side wonder just a bit if you aren't just doing this so that, if and when Ohio State does win, it makes the joy and satisfaction feel that much greater.

--

Ultimately, while I will do my own preparation and study for the Oregon-OSU game, I'm just so thrilled that, for the first time in ages, this is a NCG where I won't have to care at all about who wins. All those Alabama and Florida State championship games were irritating as hell, even moreso since those teams won every one of those games. No Alabama or Florida State this time? It'll just be a fun, care-free game to watch, and if my team can't be in that game, then that's how I would want it to be.

This is not the first place I've seen this point made. And I am starting to come around. We start the season with "SEC is best" as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not since USC was at the top of media-darling status has that not been the case. We pump 'em up. We give 'em the benefit of the doubt in the polls.

And as soon as we let four teams in, they don't win. I am not saying, none of those teams would have won in this format, but it is interesting. The year that Alabama and LSU ended up playing each other would have been a great time to see other teams involved. #1 LSU looked very beatable*.

This issue is reason enough for me to believe we are in better shape than we were with the BCS.

*That is the year that bugs me most as a Wisconsin fan...we lost two games on hail marys. I am not saying we deserved to be in that game because two losses is two losses, but I still think unhappy thoughts about those two losses. That was the year Russell Wilson played at Wisconsin and that offense was a juggernaut. They'd have beaten LSU if they'd found ways to beat OSU and MSU...but they did not. Such is that nature of college football.

That LSU-Alabama NCG was the most egregious example of the system gone wrong. They had already played each other that year! It was like they all collectively said "well obviously the SEC is the best conference so we'll just have them play again". It was a travesty that soured me on college football for a few years. Knowing there was a playoff at the end of the tunnel this season helped bring me back.

I would've loved to see a playoff that year. LSU-Stanford, Alabama-Oklahoma State. If LSU and Alabama had earned their way to that championship game it would've been fine, but everyone just deciding that a rematch was the only option were doing a disservice to the entire sport. It was ridiculous and I didn't even watch that game out of protest. That season sort of feels like it didn't happen.

This Armed Forces Bowl. Yowza.

Pitt absolutely deserved to lose this game. They flat out quit in the 4th.

Pitt absolutely deserved to lose this game. They flat out quit in the 4th.

Hey look....a flag for excessive celebration....could have flagged Houston for that on the final two TDs.

Kirk Ferentz got himself a pretty decent looking little battle scar in today's Taxslayer Bowl.

A01D1B73-F5C6-4BBB-8AFD-C62C72DD826B_zps